Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 Brickwalling question  (Read 6892 times)

Offline cyfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
JB3 Brickwalling question
« on: July 23, 2005, 09:29:47 AM »
I was taping a show off the board recently  (SBD>JB3 line-in) and the soundboard feed was running hot. The soundguy couldn't cut his signal to me without lowering a pair of back speakers in the room, so I was stuck with it. I went -4 db on the JB3 settings and the light meters looked fine.

But when I transferred the show, I still had brickwall (even though the peak level hit -4 db).

Somebody got an inexpensive solution to attenuate the signal between the board and JB3? Does running the feed through a digimod UA-5 allow some attenuation?

Thanks
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Ray76

Re: JB3 Brickwalling question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 09:47:29 AM »
I was taping a show off the board recently  (SBD>JB3 line-in) and the soundboard feed was running hot. The soundguy couldn't cut his signal to me without lowering a pair of back speakers in the room, so I was stuck with it. I went -4 db on the JB3 settings and the light meters looked fine.

But when I transferred the show, I still had brickwall (even though the peak level hit -4 db).

Somebody got an inexpensive solution to attenuate the signal between the board and JB3? Does running the feed through a digimod UA-5 allow some attenuation?

Thanks

cyfan, is your Name tim by any chance??

you can pm me.

Ray76

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 09:57:25 AM »

Thanks

Line level attenuators I think will help out.
like these
http://www.tbisound.com/accessoriesl.htm

(not these particularly, but you get the idea, just type in line level attenuators on google)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 10:46:02 AM »

What Ray said.  Another couple options listed in this Archive | Mics / Pres / ADCs forum thread.  But your best bet quality-wise is to use the UA5 if you already have one.  The rear RCA inputs provide attenuation (though via a single control, not one per channel) and are perfect for attenuating a board feed.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 10:42:27 PM »
Thanks guys. I haven't tried with the UA-5. Usually run a separate mic recording through that, soooo..... I'll be looking for the line level attenuators. No luck finding anything like that at the local stores.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 03:39:25 PM »
Tim - you could make one of these http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=41632.0
Variable control is nice to have.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Ray76

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »
is that tim,pcfh ??thought so.
 ;D

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 05:36:27 PM »
Tim - you could make one of these http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=41632.0

Thanks Dave. Making that is beyond my technical and toolbox range. I just ordered an adjustable attenuator at the bottom of this page:
http://www.hlabs.com/products/page3.html
It has male RCA input and output jacks and should do the trick.

Taped Richard Buckner off the soundboard and separately with mics last week. Got brickwall on the board pull and for some reason my damned UA-5 is acting up and adding some digi noises to the right channel (sounds almost like wind rumble) at times. Unfortunately, this was one of those times. Ugh.

Hey Ray. It is Tim from pcfh. Sorry I didn't PM you but I think I answered your question on the PCFH list, right??

Tim

Ray76

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 05:44:38 PM »

Thanks Dave. Making that is beyond my technical and toolbox range. I just ordered an adjustable attenuator at the bottom of this page:
http://www.hlabs.com/products/page3.html
It has male RCA input and output jacks and should do the trick.

Taped Richard Buckner off the soundboard and separately with mics last week. Got brickwall on the board pull and for some reason my damned UA-5 is acting up and adding some digi noises to the right channel (sounds almost like wind rumble) at times. Unfortunately, this was one of those times. Ugh.

Hey Ray. It is Tim from pcfh. Sorry I didn't PM you but I think I answered your question on the PCFH list, right??

Tim

no worries man, just wanted to see if it was you buddy.

Welcome. GOod good people here(and a few asshat trolls)

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 12:36:30 PM »
my damned UA-5 is acting up and adding some digi noises to the right channel (sounds almost like wind rumble) at times. Unfortunately, this was one of those times. Ugh.

You should post a sample - maybe it is wind rumble.  Overhead fans can really mess up an indoor mic recording!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 01:16:13 PM »
I shall post a sample, or at least a capture photo of the wav form. I really don't think it's wind rumble though. While there were overhead fans in the room the last time it happened, there was none the first time around. Plus, I slapped the windscreens on last time due to the fans. I think it's UA-5 or the right XLR connection on the UA-5. Impossible to test because it doesn't happen all the time.

Ray76

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 01:20:08 PM »
I shall post a sample, or at least a capture photo of the wav form. I really don't think it's wind rumble though. While there were overhead fans in the room the last time it happened, there was none the first time around. Plus, I slapped the windscreens on last time due to the fans. I think it's UA-5 or the right XLR connection on the UA-5. Impossible to test because it doesn't happen all the time.

hah!
that avitar is funny shit. ;D

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 03:10:28 PM »
hah!

Thanks Ray. A friend of mine with DVD talents made that nice piece of work from a show he captured on vid.
It's a band I pimp frequently.

Ray76

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 03:15:54 PM »
hah!

Thanks Ray. A friend of mine with DVD talents made that nice piece of work from a show he captured on vid.
It's a band I pimp frequently.
[/quo ;D

you need to send me your dvd list dude. we should do some tradin

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 07:06:27 PM »
Sorry man. I've got lotsa DVDs but no DVD burner yet. One of these days, if I don't spend my cash on better microphones.

Ray76

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 07:16:11 PM »
Sorry man. I've got lotsa DVDs but no DVD burner yet. One of these days, if I don't spend my cash on better microphones.

burners are pretty cheap . 40 or 50 bucks or so.

Get some studio projects c4s. cheap, and good mics. cant be beat for the money.

Teddy

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 03:37:01 AM »
Is this good for recording off a sb?  http://www.core-sound.com/attenuator-cables.html

Ray76

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 07:04:12 AM »
Is this good for recording off a sb?  http://www.core-sound.com/attenuator-cables.html

you may need em, you may not. Ive personally never used them, but in instances when the SBD feed is too hot, yep

silverbullet

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 07:28:44 AM »
I've only done one SBD>JB3 and I know those signals can come in hot. I used a SP battery box with a control knob to adjust the levels. Worked well for me and it's simple. I don't like using the gain adjustments on the JB3 so the knob wheel on the battery box is the way to go for me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com