Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help: tube options and sources  (Read 10031 times)

Offline Liquid Meat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help: tube options and sources
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 03:15:49 PM »
Where did you get your Ei's. I need to get some new 12AX7's as well.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 03:27:40 PM »
Where did you get your Ei's. I need to get some new 12AX7's as well.

Ei Elite Gold 12AX7
JJ / Tesla  12AX7
Electro Harmonix 12AX7
from http://www.tubedepot.com/

JAN / Phillips 6X4
GE JG-5751
from http://www.thetubestore.com/

After I get some more cash saved away, it's going to be tough to resist spending some cash on more expensive tubes to see how they compare. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 04:23:31 PM »
;D

awesome! glad you're enjoying the changes Brian.... have fun!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 10:53:40 AM »
just (this morning) rolled in two Sovtek 12ax7wxt+ tubes to replace my 12ax7eh tubes that were just about at the end of their rope...

more details, esp in the high end, but they are less forgiving up there, also...

great thread. thanks for all of the wonderful links. +t
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

BobW

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2005, 04:30:54 AM »

Does the make / model of the 6X4 rectifier tube really make a significant difference?  I suspect so, but I've found only two 6X4 in my online searches so far:

No, neither does the power cord  <ducks VERY low, very FAST>
Just avoid the solid-state 6X4 replacement devices.
The theory here is, if your power supply was designed for tube rectification, it will sound best with a tube rectifier.
If your amp is properly designed for solid-state diodes, it will be fine with them.
If you cannot find a tube replacement and want to switch to solid-state, you need to add a few (like a dozen or two) components into the power supply to make it sound good.
FWIW, a powersupply which is hybrid solid-state and tube is as good as a tube alone PS.
Something about conduction curves....  whatever they are.       8)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2005, 05:34:44 PM »
What a world of difference relative to the very worn out Chinese tubes with which the Symphonies came.  I wish I'd've gotten these new tubes before the Chinese tubes wore out, so I could offer a better comparison.  But replacing the worn out tubes results in thicker, more robust bass, better extension; mids have regained their richness / detail; highs are coming through clearly and crisply instead of the previously dull, flat sound from before; and the soundstage has opened up nicely.  I'm kicking myself for not replacing the old, tired tubes earlier.  Anyone out there who's been delinquent in replacing their old tubes, swap them out NOW!  Can't wait to roll different tube combos.  This is gonna be fun!

I'm glad to hear that the tubes worked out for you, it really is amazing how much of a difference upgrading the tubes can make.  In regards to my sources, I've used Triode Electronics and Upscale Audio for new and NOS tubes and I've had very positive experiences with both.  Upscale Audio's tube prices are a little on the high side but they only sell the highest quality tubes and Kevin Deal is great at helping you select the best tube for your application.  The best deals can usually be found on Audiogon or Ebay, the only problem with these sources is that you're dealing with individuals who may or may not be selling genuine tubes.  The best way to avoid buying fakes is to carefully examine the pictures of the tubes and try to see if the internals are consistant with thre real tubes.  If the buyer can't provide a picture it's usually a good idea to pass.  Also it's always a good idea to ask how/if the tubes were tested and even better test them yourself if you have access to a tube tester.   

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005, 02:53:18 PM »
Just to add another source for both new and NOS tubes:
http://www.dougstubes.com/
I've ordered tubes from Doug for my guitar amps and been very happy

Shane

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 09:53:15 PM »
FWIW, I've toyed around a little bit with different tube combinations.  With my Audio Experience Symphonies > McCormack DNA-1 > B&W DM610i and now Von Schweikert VR-1s, I've tried:

Input: Electro Harmonix 12AX7;  Output:  JJ / Tesla 12AX7
Robust bass, but a little sloppy for my tastes.  Mids a little muddied, and highs a little spitty and fatiguing.  Didn't like this combo at all.

Input: GE JG-5751;  Output:  GE JG-5751
Came across pretty thin in the bass, sweet and detailed midrange, cleaner and clearer highs than the 12AX7 tubes.  Overall, too thin anemic for my tastes, though I loved the midrange detail.

Input: JJ / Tesla 12AX7;  Output:  GE JG-5751
Helped fill out the bass a bit more, less midrange detail than above, still pretty clean highs.  I liked this combo a fair amount.  Until...

Input: Ei Elite Gold;  Output:  GE JG-5751
My favorite combo so far.  Much fuller, more robust bass - woof.  Retains nice midrange detail, and the highs are a little more recessed than previously.  Highs maybe a little too recessed, but I have some listening to do before I swap around again.

So far, so good.  This is fun!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2005, 10:07:06 PM »
+t

great info, brian. thanks.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com