Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Here we go again / bittorrent configuration question.............  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
Here we go again / bittorrent configuration question.............
« on: September 14, 2005, 01:22:17 PM »
Damn I feel like a retard!
 I can not figure out to configure my firewall so I can actually start downloading on bt.
I have tried a couple of times within the last few months between buying a house and work I have not had much time.
 I have a list a mile long of phish shows I want to d/l and this is really pissing me off.
 I have everything I need downloaded it's just the whole port forwarding thing that is getting me.
  My question is how do I configure my firewall to let me d/l?
Is there anyone out ther willing to walk me through this???
I see where I can put my IP and change my ports in the bittorrent program, I know it needs to be changed in my firewall as well but as much as I try I can not find where to do it.
 I am fairly computer litterate but I am now officially lost.
                             Much thanks in advance
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
Re: Here we go again / bittorrent configuration question.............
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 01:27:11 PM »
 Are you running Windoze XP? XP pro? Did you install third-party firewall software? Do you have a home router that your computer sits behind (or are you directly connected to your cable or DSL modem?). Cable or DSL? More than one computer sharing the same connection?

Got to answer these before I can guess what's wrong.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 01:33:38 PM »
Are you running Windoze XP? XP pro? Did you install third-party firewall software? Do you have a home router that your computer sits behind (or are you directly connected to your cable or DSL modem?). Cable or DSL? More than one computer sharing the same connection?

Got to answer these before I can guess what's wrong.

-e

Windows XP Home
I did install Norton Antivirus which has a firewall
I am directly connected to my DSL modem
Only one pc connected
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 09:48:25 PM »
Is this the right way to set the ports?
I'm not sure what Netgear is???
 Besides step 3 does not connect .......
Netgear RP114

From Adam Johnston:

1. Under Windows NT, 200, and XP, go to Start >> Run >> type cmd and click OK >> at the prompt type ipconfig and press Enter. Under Windows 95, 98, or Me, go to Start >> Run >> type winipcfg and press Enter.
       2. 'IP Address' is the address of your PC, 'Default Gateway' is the IP address of the router
       3. In Internet Explorer (or another browser) type the IP address of the router into the address bar.
       4. Enter in your name and password. (Defaults are 'Admin' and '1234')
       5. Go to 'Advanced' >> 'Ports'
       6. In the "Start Port" and "End Port" fields enter the port range (6881 to 6889), and in the "Server IP Address field" enter in the IP address of your PC. Apply.

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 10:32:28 PM »
Netgear RP114 is a cable/dsl ready router.

Is that what you have?

Since your directly connected to you dsl modem you have two steps. First determine if you dsl modem is also a router. Post what make/model it is. You can find information on specific routers and how to forward ports on them at http://portforward.com. Every router is different but most have a web interface.

Step two is to deal with your software firewall. If your modem does require you to forward ports it is a hardware firewall and you most likely can get away with turning off your third party software firewall. Windows XP has it's own software firewall which should be fine to use with the hardware one protecting you. I don't know much about norton so you'll have to look in the documents. As for the XP firewall it should prompt you the first time you run bittorrent (make sure your BT client is using the same ports as the hardware is forwarding) XP will prompt you asking whether BT has permission to connect to the internet. You should make sure you answer this right.

Also beware that some ISP's give you routers that you can't forward. AOL and MSN are two that have "locked" down their modems.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 02:23:26 PM »
Ok so I think I may of got it working but I don't think I am seeding to anyone.
 I think I have my norton firewall configured by checking " Permit All" here.

Here is what I am getting now

Now I need to make sure I get my ports forwarded
I called my dsl service (SBC) and they said I only have a modem (SpreadStream 5100 ADSL)
so I am assuming I do not have to configure that.
But how and where do I configure my ports? That is what allows me to seed right??
 I completely understand the whole "leeching" thing and I do not want to do that so I really want to get this figured out.

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
bit torrent question..........................
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 02:31:39 PM »
Sorry for the double post I was hoping to catch someone that knows about configuring your pc for bittorrent. Please check here. I almost have it nailed.... or at least I think I do.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=50143.0
 Thanks for the help in advance.
                                Tye

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 02:40:18 PM »
unless your modem is a router you do not need to open ports.  well if you are using your xp firewall (I don't) you will have to open them in that.  I think norton sucks.  thats just me.  I use spysweeper,adaware, spybot and for virus AVG.  with all of those my computer is very safe and I haven't gotten any spyware,virus in a long time.   it's free (AVG) and kicks ass imo.  for firewall I use outpost.  just tell it to allow bit torrent and you are good to go. 
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 02:57:03 PM »
I'm lost now. ???
 Just tell Norton to allow bittorent and that is it if I am using an ADSL modem?
I thought the whole point of forwarding your ports was to seed to the next person, or is that only if you are using a router ????
 Is 24 hours a typical d/l speed on bt??
 It is telling me that it is having a problem connecting to the tracker I am assuming this is causing my slow d/l speed. (10-11KB/s)
 From BT.org site
The BitTorrent protocol can work behind firewalls, but unless your BitTorrent ports 6881-6889 are open, noone can connect to you. As a result, your downloads will probably be much slower. Do yourself a favor and open or forward ports 6881-6889 on your local firewall or router. Trust us, you'll appreciate the increased download speed! See this page for some more detailed discussion.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 03:01:52 PM by Tye »

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 03:20:21 PM »
Now I just read this and I am not listed on the peer list at all but I am downloading wtf???
If you are currently downloading one of the torrents from this site, you can verify if you are firewalled or not by clicking on the number in the Leeches column for the torrent in the table below. Or if you go to the Details page for the torrent (by clicking in the Show column), you can view the peer list by clicking on the Peers [See full list] link. Look for your IP address, which will appear in red and which will show all four numbers in the address. If the port number appears in parentheses (e.g. 1.2.3.4:(6881)), then you are firewalled. If the port number appears without parens, you are not.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 09:11:31 PM »
I'm lost now. ???
 Just tell Norton to allow bittorent and that is it if I am using an ADSL modem?
I thought the whole point of forwarding your ports was to seed to the next person, or is that only if you are using a router ????
 Is 24 hours a typical d/l speed on bt??
 It is telling me that it is having a problem connecting to the tracker I am assuming this is causing my slow d/l speed. (10-11KB/s)
 From BT.org site

if your modem is connected directly to your computer you probably do not need to open any ports.   as someone else said if it also acts as a router you will need to forward ports in the modem.  you may need to open them in norton (I have no idea).  most firewalls like that all you need to do is tell it allow bit torrent.    if you are running a firewall (in your case norton) you do not need the xp firewall so turn it off

start > control panel > network connections.  click on the little computer (LAN) > properties > advanced.  that is where you XP firewall is.

Just tell Norton to allow bittorent and that is it if I am using an ADSL modem

again I am not sure of your modem but if it's just a modem then yes.  before I had a router all I had to do was tell my firewall to allow bit torrent.  I was using Zone Alarm for firewall.  the new version blocks bit torrent no matter what.  even when I told it to allow it.  so I got outpost. 

go to http://www.portforward.com/  and see if your modem is listed (I need a brand name to help)

look here for the barnd name.  there are some adsl modems listed.

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

and last,  how many seeds are on the torrent?  link??  try something with lots of seeds.  get bit torrnado and try to connect with it (on one with lots of seeds) and if you are not firewalled the light in the client will turn green.  if you are firewalled it will stay yellow.

Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 09:13:58 PM »
from your screen capture I see you are uploadingat close to 40kbs.  that is probably as fast as you can.  isp's cap your upload.  mins is capped at 30kbs up but I can get 375 kbs down.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com