Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferring audio from Sony Hi MD to computer  (Read 1799 times)

Offline SpareRibs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Transferring audio from Sony Hi MD to computer
« on: December 07, 2005, 09:49:36 AM »
I'm fairly new to Hi-MD recorders. I taped some stuff off the radio. When I transfer the data from my MD player, I have a choice of transfering the bits. Here are my choices:

256 kbps
132 kbps (ATRAC 3)
105 kbps (ATRAC 3)
66 Kbps (ATRAC 3)
64 kbps
48 kbps

The last time I just selected 64 kbps and then checked the wav selection so it would be converted to wav. Once it was in my computer library, I then burned it to CD-r. The sound seemed pretty good.

Am I doing this right? Is 64 kbps the number to choose for highest sound quality? Should I have selected 256 kbps instead for better sound?

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
Re: Transferring audio from Sony Hi MD to computer
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 10:26:03 AM »
I'm fairly new to Hi-MD recorders. I taped some stuff off the radio. When I transfer the data from my MD player, I have a choice of transfering the bits. Here are my choices:

256 kbps
132 kbps (ATRAC 3)
105 kbps (ATRAC 3)
66 Kbps (ATRAC 3)
64 kbps
48 kbps

The last time I just selected 64 kbps and then checked the wav selection so it would be converted to wav. Once it was in my computer library, I then burned it to CD-r. The sound seemed pretty good.

Am I doing this right? Is 64 kbps the number to choose for highest sound quality? Should I have selected 256 kbps instead for better sound?

From the selection you listed, 64kbps would be second to lowest in terms of quality.  Also, if you are recording on a Hi-MD, you really shouldn't be selecting ATRAC audio, just go ahead and record as an uncompressed WAV.

Offline SpareRibs

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Transferring audio from Sony Hi MD to computer
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 09:34:13 PM »
OK, I think I made a mistake in the Sonic Stage program so hopefully I have it figured out.

When I transfer the data from MD to computer, I should just put a  check in the setting: Transfer "as is" (no conversion") box.

I do record on PCM mode which is lossless. I'm just hoping that when I transfer to CD, it's also lossless too on the CD-R.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com