Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noise canceling headphones?  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Brian G

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yeah I'm an AKG slut....
Noise canceling headphones?
« on: December 19, 2005, 08:46:28 AM »
Has anybody used these in the field?  I have a pair of phones, and I want to upgrade.  I am looking at the Sony 7506 or V6, but a friend said that I should look for noise caceling.  Any thoughts?
Mics: AKG c480b's, c460b's, c452eb's ( A60's, A51's ,A61's CK61, CK63, CK1, CK3 CK22, CK8), AKG C414 XLII/ST, AKG CK1x, CK3x M46,  Church Audio CA-11 ( Card and Omni)
Cables: Segue Dogstar Cables, Darktrain Silver Cables, Canare Starquad Cables
Pres: Lunatec V3, Naiant BiggerBox, Edirol UA-5, CA-9100 
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre 10II, Mixpre-6, Sony M10, Sony D50 ,Sony PCM-A10, Tascam DR-100mkii,Tascam DR-40, Edirol R-44
Playback: Fiio X5 v2, Fiio A3 v2, AKG 240MKII, AKG Y50BT

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Noise canceling headphones?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 09:11:49 AM »
7506s don't cancel much noise at all.   Granted the headphone amp in the NJB3 sux, but I wasn't able to hear recordings I made over house music between bands at shows.  I love how the 7506's sound though.

Try the etymotics/shures for better results in noise cancelling.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RebelRebel

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 10:04:45 AM »
second the etymotics...I use the er-4 and love them...the best isolation i have heard.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 10:21:16 AM »
Are you looking for noise cancelling or noise attenuating headphones?  The Etymotics/Shure's referenced are noise attenuating.  Bose and others make various flavors of noise cancelling.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 10:50:48 AM »
7506s don't cancel much noise at all.   Granted the headphone amp in the NJB3 sux, but I wasn't able to hear recordings I made over house music between bands at shows.  I love how the 7506's sound though.

???

The headphone out section on the NJB3 is one of the best out there, i think its rated at 50mW and it smokes.

I'll throw in my recommendation for a pair of shure iem's.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 10:53:14 AM »

???

The headphone out section on the NJB3 is one of the best out there, i think its rated at 50mW and it smokes.

Huh... well, the headphones didn't cancel out enough then, or my recording wasn't loud enough, I guess, because I couldn't even hear it over the music between bands.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 10:59:50 AM »

???

Huh... well, the headphones didn't cancel out enough then, or my recording wasn't loud enough, I guess, because I couldn't even hear it over the music between bands.

The 7506's only block out like 5db's, they really don't work well on trains and buses, so i imagine its the cans.  If you ever have the opportunity to try a pair of ety's or shures, give em a whirl, although i haven't tried my shures in a concert setting yet.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 11:56:41 AM »
I use Shure E2c's for monitoring shows.  Dirt cheap on eBay, about $60.00 shipped, BFN.  Very low profile and the JB3 does a good job pushing sound through them.  For simple monitoring, I'm very happy with them.

Offline Brian G

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yeah I'm an AKG slut....
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice.  I just bought a set of the Shure E2c's.     ;D
Mics: AKG c480b's, c460b's, c452eb's ( A60's, A51's ,A61's CK61, CK63, CK1, CK3 CK22, CK8), AKG C414 XLII/ST, AKG CK1x, CK3x M46,  Church Audio CA-11 ( Card and Omni)
Cables: Segue Dogstar Cables, Darktrain Silver Cables, Canare Starquad Cables
Pres: Lunatec V3, Naiant BiggerBox, Edirol UA-5, CA-9100 
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre 10II, Mixpre-6, Sony M10, Sony D50 ,Sony PCM-A10, Tascam DR-100mkii,Tascam DR-40, Edirol R-44
Playback: Fiio X5 v2, Fiio A3 v2, AKG 240MKII, AKG Y50BT

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com