Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digitizing from LP  (Read 7575 times)

Offline VerismoBari

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Digitizing from LP
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:32:59 PM »
I am kindof new to all of this.  I have some old recordings from the 50's that are live recordings on LP and I am wondering what would be the best way to digitze them so that I can work on them on my computer?  Is is possible to record from the record player right into the computer or is there a better way?  Thanks.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Digitizing from LP
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 11:44:19 PM »
I am kindof new to all of this.  I have some old recordings from the 50's that are live recordings on LP and I am wondering what would be the best way to digitze them so that I can work on them on my computer?  Is is possible to record from the record player right into the computer or is there a better way?  Thanks.

got a decent sound card with analog ins??  thats the easiest.  or an edirol ua 5 (pre digimod I think)  I'm not sure if it outputs usb after.  or any other audio capture device.  I've even made decent cd's from records using the griffin imic, but wouldn't recomend it if you have a decent capture device like a ua 5 at your disposal.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:52:13 PM »
Do you have a budget?  Do you already have any gear, i.e. turntable, phono stage, etc.?  Are any of the recordings otherwise available in updated formats (i.e. maybe someone else performed a HQ conversion some time ago - picking it up already digitized would be easiest)?

Single biggest impact on quality will probably be the turntable and phono stage.  After that, you want to add gain and perform the analog-to-digital conversion outside the PC.  Maybe float a budget and perhaps some will come up with specific recommendations.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline VerismoBari

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 12:03:47 AM »
What kind of sound card would be good?  Also, why is it better to convert from analog to digital outside the computer rather than recording straight into the computer?  These LP's are opera vocals.  I have a decent turntable.  I can not spend a huge amount of money, unfortunately, either.  After I have them digitized I am going to work on them with a computer program to help change the pitch, diapason, formants etc..

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 12:33:02 AM »
What kind of sound card would be good?  Also, why is it better to convert from analog to digital outside the computer rather than recording straight into the computer?

External soundcard's the way to go because the innards of PCs are inherently noisy (mainly electro magnetic inteference).  IME, when converting analog sources to digitial, the EMI from using an internal soundcard is NOT trivial.  Yeah, there are ways to clean up the EMI noise with software, but you're far better off preventing the EMI in the first place.

I can not spend a huge amount of money, unfortunately, either.

"Huge" amount of money means different things to different people.  An actual dollar amount will help.  If you don't need it for portable field recording (i.e. running off external batteries), the Edirol UA-25 is a good, reasonably priced option at ~$235.

Edit to add another reasonably priced external option:  M-Audio Audiophile USB, ~$150.

FWIW, I don't have experience with the M-Audio, but have minimal experience with the UA-25.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 12:39:12 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline VerismoBari

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 12:42:05 AM »
Thank you for your advice.  I will look into getting that convertor. 
Is a pre-amp different than an amplifier like my NAD amplifier on my stereo?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 12:57:04 AM »
For recording from an LP, you need some type of phono preamp. Many receivers have them built in and have line outputs (usually on RCA jacks). Then you take that signal and get it into your computer via one of the methods Brian suggested. If your amplifier is truely an amplifier (line in, speaker out), then a preamp is very different. Many NAD units are integrated amps, meaning they have a preamp stage. To tell, look at the back. If there's a jack that says "phono," you are golden as far as that part is concerned.

Having done this, I figured out why I don't like it. One of the "joys" of vinyl is the popping or scratchy sound that is inherent to the playback of a record. It's generally random based on dust, etc, unless you have a damaged LP. However, when digitizing, all of that noise has to be removed, or it's present on playback in the exact same place, every time. This aspect drove me nuts, so I shelved all of the vinyl until I can get a good analog setup and just enjoy them. Most of it is available on CD anyway.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline VerismoBari

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 01:02:10 AM »
I noticed that the Edirol UA-25 descripton says it has a pre-amp already built in.  So I would not need to use my pre-amp on my NAD (which it does have as I looked) right?

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 01:02:49 AM »
i have been wanting to convert some old odd LPs and i thought it was going to be easiest to just use my taping gear.

run the phono out either through my receiver or directly into my ua-5 and then optical in on the jb3.  transfer to my pc via firewire where i can edit tracks and abnormalities as necessary.

maybe i am missing something?  i want to put GAT's EP on my zen.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

zowie

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 04:46:20 PM »
I noticed that the Edirol UA-25 descripton says it has a pre-amp already built in.  So I would not need to use my pre-amp on my NAD (which it does have as I looked) right?

I don't think it has a phono preamp.  You need a phono preamp, not mic preamps.

Offline VerismoBari

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 05:08:04 PM »

I don't think it has a phono preamp.  You need a phono preamp, not mic preamps.

OK, so then I will use my NAD amplifier which has the built in pre-amp.  Thanks for your help.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 06:11:14 PM »
Yes, you need a phono preamp.  Phono preamps have the RIAA equalization curve built in.  Othewise your recording will lack bass response.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Roving Sign

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 10:32:31 PM »
I've had decent results with something similar to this...if you're on the cheap...

http://cgi.ebay.com/REALISTIC-STEREO-PHONO-PREAMP_W0QQitemZ5850633447QQcategoryZ14974QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline VerismoBari

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 11:43:18 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I think that should be able to use my NAD amp as it has a pre-amp setting in the back together with the Edirol UA-25.  I hope I can at any rate.  If that does not work I will look into something like this.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 11:45:49 PM »
Agree with SparkE - gotta have the riaa eq.  Though I can't help but think good mic pre-amps are better then all but the best hifi pre amps.  I've been wanting to try the v3.

The M-audio Transit is a good usb audio device that should work well for this. They're around $80 on ebay.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com