Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: hiss  (Read 2788 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
hiss
« on: March 02, 2006, 12:24:41 PM »
hey guys, new to the boards, not so new to taping.

I use a Sony MZ-R700 MD and Coresound Biaurals.  I recently have begun noticing a very distinct "hshshsh" in the backgroud of my recordings.  I've hooked up the mics to other recorders and the same thing happens.  I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not this is typical of coresound mics, and if so, whether there is a comperably priced set of mics which I may look to replace them with.  Thanks alot, and I've UL'ed a short sound clip of a Sigur Ros show from St.Louis last week so that you can hear what I'm talking about.

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/travelinbeat/sample.wav

*EDIT: also wondering if anyone is firmiliar with any software which might easily remove this hiss.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 12:26:39 PM by travelinbeat »
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline travelinbeat

Re: hiss
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 04:57:54 PM »
Need more information:  signal chain elements, record level setings, transfer details. 

I'm afraid I don't know what signal chain elements are, but I'll explain the recording.
I was sitting at a counter with the mics on a table plug into the b.box then into the sony mz-r700.  I recorded with the levels looking something like this (while the volume levels was at it's average):
|=====- - - - - - -|
(if that makes any sence)
The recording was laid into my computer via the line-in jack, into Soundforge 4.5.  The wav is supplied was snipped out, faded in/out.
I have an HP Pavilion with an integrated AC97 audio set-up.  The pcm wav is 44kHz, 16bit, 1411kbps.
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Offline Vismars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 12:24:17 PM »
There is a nice noise removal filter in Cool Edit Pro / aka Adobe Audition. You need a little piece of silence recorded with the same gear. From that, you can create a profile of the noise and then remove it from the music. You may have to fiddle around with the settings a bit in order to get the best result. If you remove too much, the music sounds tinny afterwards.

Offline heikki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...and i'm as honest as a jersey man can be
    • OutDated List
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 04:08:28 PM »
Have you tested listening to the recording directly from the MD recorder (MD > headphones; MD > PC speakers; etc...) before transferring to the PC?  In-PC sound cards can be very noisy and might be adding what you are hearing.  Just a thought.

-Heikki
C 480 B + CK61/63
          Edirol R-4 (Oade T-Mod x 4)

Masters on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/heikki

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 05:07:45 PM »
Since you mentioned Sound Forge, you might want to get the excellent Noise Reduction plugin for it. It works similarly to the one with CoolEdit/Adobe Audition, in that you give it a sample of just the background noise you want to eliminate, then play with the various sliders and options while previewing so as to remove as much noise and as little of the good stuff s possible.  It does a great job if used cautiously and in moderation.
Also comes with a click and crackle removal plugin that, among other things, can be used to reduce louder clapping on your recordings.

I'm going to guess that the noise you describe is coming from the MIC preamp in the MD recorder.

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 05:23:59 PM »
great recommendations guys, I'll look around for the Noise Reduction filter, sounds like that might be my best bet!

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 10:45:04 AM »
I might be biased but try my mics www.church-audio.ca

wait I am biased
PS... THEY DONT HISS
Chris Church

hey guys, new to the boards, not so new to taping.

I use a Sony MZ-R700 MD and Coresound Biaurals.  I recently have begun noticing a very distinct "hshshsh" in the backgroud of my recordings.  I've hooked up the mics to other recorders and the same thing happens.  I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not this is typical of coresound mics, and if so, whether there is a comperably priced set of mics which I may look to replace them with.  Thanks alot, and I've UL'ed a short sound clip of a Sigur Ros show from St.Louis last week so that you can hear what I'm talking about.

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/travelinbeat/sample.wav

*EDIT: also wondering if anyone is firmiliar with any software which might easily remove this hiss.  Thanks!

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 03:11:32 AM »
dude your site is down...

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 11:09:12 AM »
I know its down but it does re-direct you to our eBay store. I know some of you think it’s lame to sell product on eBay but I have sold a lot in the last two years, so I would strongly have to disagree. Check out my store and check out some of the other good mic sellers around like: Core Sound and Sound Professionals they also make a good product. I like mine, but maybe you will not. Sound forge has a plug in I will look around and see if I can find it. It is very good but again anything you do in the way of noise removal is going to affect the end result of your recording's sound.

These are some simple first steps to identifying noise.

1-First make sure it’s not the playback machine that is noisy (copy file to computer) via digital interface if you can.

2- Analyze the file in question with a spectrum analyzer. See if you can identify the peeks in the signal that are causing the noise. If they are peeks it’s most likely a machine noise or its some form of inducted noise via bad cables bad shielding of cheap mics.

3- Once you find that the noise is a series of peek frequencies. Identify them and try using a parametric EQ plug in with in sound forge with a narrow Q and try and reduce them as little as possible until the noise disappears.

4- If the noise is underlying noise IE. Below the music and constant there are two methods remaining for almost total elimination of this noise.

1- Using sampling noise reduction. This type of noise reduction uses a sample of the noise in question and removes every instance of that noise it can find. BE warned this is very destructive if not used properly and only works if you have a pause where there is no sound heard but the hiss noise you’re talking about.

2- The second method is the one most often used it involves editing the beginning and end of each song and inserting silence into it.

3- There is one more trick but its way to involved but its worthy of mention.
If you have a noise that is constant in a recording you can use the phase cancellation method. You put your stereo track into multi track mode finding the noise and sampling it and then reverse the polarity of the output of that track. So that it cancels the offending noise out. This is getting to a forensic level of noise removal used by law enforcement and others government agencies with three letter names. But it does work I once was hired by “someone” to remove noise from a telephone conversation; there was a 60 cycle hum that had harmonics of 120 and 180 and 240. I used a function generator and put everything into multi track, reversed the polarity of the function generator so it was 180 degrees out from the noise and made a track of these noises every where they appeared on the original track and the noise was reduced by almost 65% very time consuming but you get the idea anything is possible if you have the time to do it. 

The best method to reduce noise in the end is NOT TO RECORD IT :)
get to know your recorder and mics by going in to a quiet room get to know what the max level is that you can use on your recorder with your setup before you hear noise or hiss from your built in preamp also consider using an external preamp from Church-Audio Core Sound or Sound Professionals that will make a difference in your signal to noise ratio it will also help to take a good look at your mics and see if that’s not the real problem.

Chris Church
Church Audio

dude your site is down...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com