Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: digital computer speakers for mixing/tweaking recordings?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline dmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • dance spaceghost dance!
    • ToriTraders
digital computer speakers for mixing/tweaking recordings?
« on: July 22, 2006, 04:04:54 PM »
I'm in the mood for some new speakers sooner or later for my desktop.  I've got digital outputs on my motherboard (either coax or optical) and would like to get something digital. 

At work, i just got a new pair of these:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/MA-15D/index.html

Are these good enough to tweak recordings with?  (I assume they're at least better than my headphones, but I'm not sure by how much).

I brought a few of my recordings in to work to listen to and see how things compare, and I was fairly amazed to realize how horrible one of my recordings sounded on them, when I thought it sounded good at home, and conversely how much better a recording sounded at work compared to at home.   I'm assuming this is a product of my speakers at home being iffy, and my headphones not being as great as they could be.  (they're not bad, they claim 20hz-20khz, but really..) 

Is there something better with a comparable price?   I don't want a 5.1 setup, I don't want a 7.1 setup, I want 2 speakers and maybe a sub if necessary.  I don't have room for anything at all except for a pair of desktop speakers.   (no amp, no stereo system, no space for anything at all). 

RebelRebel

Re: digital computer speakers for mixing/tweaking recordings?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 08:13:36 PM »
Depends on your notion of "good enough"...if the finished product sounds good to you , then there is your answer. ;D I personally wouldnt  mix on those. I use a dedicated pair(s) of speakers to mix and master with(Truth Audio TA-1PS for mixing, B+W 802s for mastering)what I have found is that lower budget/lower quality speakers are good barometers for translate-ability.. I always get it sounding good on the mastering speakers, then reference with the walmart/Guitar Center stuff......BUT if you mix on the lower grade stuff, you might have a product that sounds fantastic on the low end side of things, but sound like hell on a upper level system....

That being said,  I must throw out an endorsement for Blue Sky Media Desk speakers..I bought these for my wife(at the suggestion of folks at Gearslutz and Recording.org), and was blown away at how much detail and presence those things brought!! some on GS use them for reference mixing....I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest them. I am so confident that you will love them for playback and minor mixing tasks, that if you dont, I will buy them from you!

I'm in the mood for some new speakers sooner or later for my desktop.  I've got digital outputs on my motherboard (either coax or optical) and would like to get something digital. 

At work, i just got a new pair of these:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/MA-15D/index.html

Are these good enough to tweak recordings with?  (I assume they're at least better than my headphones, but I'm not sure by how much).

I brought a few of my recordings in to work to listen to and see how things compare, and I was fairly amazed to realize how horrible one of my recordings sounded on them, when I thought it sounded good at home, and conversely how much better a recording sounded at work compared to at home.   I'm assuming this is a product of my speakers at home being iffy, and my headphones not being as great as they could be.  (they're not bad, they claim 20hz-20khz, but really..) 

Is there something better with a comparable price?   I don't want a 5.1 setup, I don't want a 7.1 setup, I want 2 speakers and maybe a sub if necessary.  I don't have room for anything at all except for a pair of desktop speakers.   (no amp, no stereo system, no space for anything at all). 

BobW

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 12:56:50 PM »
The little Swans M200 and Tannoy Reveal 5 would be up on my list as well.
Newegg has the Swans on the cheap, the Tannoys are now in several flavors...be sure that you pay attention to placement !

The Tannoys are nearfields, the Swans are not.

Swan M200

Tannoy Reveal 5A (passive)

RebelRebel

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »
I think the m200 have been replaced by the s200a?? I wanted to get the swans but couldnt find them, heard the blueskys and was blown away.

Teddy

Offline tfs8271

• Needs to get out more...
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 01:57:44 PM »
Just now looking at them...not a bad price. Looks I could just run RCA out of my computer into the speakers and not use the rca>mini.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836136102
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com