Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio Microtrack  (Read 14677 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: M-Audio Microtrack
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »
That's why I don't understand why people waste money and time changing the internal battery when it dies anyway. Since it will never be reliable and you have to keep on paying to change it. Might as well use external rechargeable AAs...Less worries and more economical.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 03:19:43 PM »
External battery packs rule.  Almost everyone uses one or another with almost all gear here.

Important exception: R09 with AA's. The pair of internals last a Long time and cheap rechargables work great.  But I just about always run an external with my MT to 'save' the built in LiON for when it is really needed.

If you're seeing shows where crotching gear is necessary to get in, running an external battery is a burden. And especially in those situations, external power cords reduce the reliability of your rig over the long haul (though not so bad if you can fallback on an internal).

Whether the MT is right for you really depends on how you'll be using it. There are not many alternatives if you're looking for a handheld 24-bit bucket.  Otherwise I'd go with the r09.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 01:57:20 PM »

The supplied mic is, as you'd no-doubt expect, useless for pretty much any music purposes.

I disagree on that ::). I have some very good mics and I am not a novice, but I have made some excellent quality stealth recordings using the supplied T mic. It is surprisingly good. I have taken some bass out in post, but I have a pre-set for doing that as my battery box that sits atop the MT does not have bass roll off.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline king_rhoton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 03:26:33 PM »
I have some very good mics and I am not a novice, but I have made some excellent quality stealth recordings using the supplied T mic. It is surprisingly good. I have taken some bass out in post, but I have a pre-set for doing that as my battery box that sits atop the MT does not have bass roll off.

Hmmm.  Maybe I'll have to try again.  The only times I've tried using the supplied mic, it picked up all kinds of undesirable noises (including creaks from the MicroTrack itself when plugging the mic directly into the recorder rather than using an extension cable).  Given how hot it seemed, I couldn't believe it wouldn't clip for any real volumes.  It looks more like a dictaphone accessory.

Offline king_rhoton

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 04:10:30 PM »
Oh, and I should also point out another (admittedly minor) plus of the MicroTrack.  Evidently the sampling clock on-board is very good.  I videotape concerts as a hobby (http://king.dyndns.org/DVDs.html), and when I want to sync the MicroTrack audio to the video I've shot, it's only (and reliably) off by 1 video frame every 15 minutes; this consistency makes synchronizing so much easier.  This is MUCH better than what a friend gives me from a Zoom H4.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 08:33:07 PM »
Oh, and I should also point out another (admittedly minor) plus of the MicroTrack.  Evidently the sampling clock on-board is very good.  I videotape concerts as a hobby (http://king.dyndns.org/DVDs.html), and when I want to sync the MicroTrack audio to the video I've shot, it's only (and reliably) off by 1 video frame every 15 minutes; this consistency makes synchronizing so much easier.  This is MUCH better than what a friend gives me from a Zoom H4.
what kind of camera do you have?
how di you find out its  1 fram every 15 mins, just trial and error?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline king_rhoton

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 09:40:01 PM »
what kind of camera do you have?
how di you find out its  1 frame every 15 mins, just trial and error?

I've shot with a variety (and combination) of cameras--DCR-PC100, DCR-HC90, HDR-HC1, and even a PDW530.  My current set is 2 HDR-FX1s and 1 HDR-FX7.  They're all able to stay in-sync with each other down to the frame for 2+ hours at a time during free-run.  I've yet to find an audio source that's that accurate, but I have high hopes for the 744T that's coming tomorrow!

And yes, I found 1frame/15min by syncing to a drum beat on the video's soundtrack.  I'm not saying that's a perfect scaling factor, but it's still quite good after 3+ hours, and that's good enough for me.

Oh, and needless to say, this is all open video/taping with the band's knowledge and venue's permission.  Three cameras don't exactly go unnoticed, especially once the tripods come out!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:52:31 AM by king_rhoton »

Offline geordy

• Taperssection Regular
    • masters
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
Oh, and I should also point out another (admittedly minor) plus of the MicroTrack.  Evidently the sampling clock on-board is very good.

Good point.  If I'm doing video, I make sure and use the MT with the audio source that I want to sync up after the fact.  Never had a problem with it getting out of sync. 
dpa4061 > mma6000 > Sony PCM-M10

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 06:08:24 PM »
I have some very good mics and I am not a novice, but I have made some excellent quality stealth recordings using the supplied T mic. It is surprisingly good. I have taken some bass out in post, but I have a pre-set for doing that as my battery box that sits atop the MT does not have bass roll off.

Hmmm.  Maybe I'll have to try again.  The only times I've tried using the supplied mic, it picked up all kinds of undesirable noises (including creaks from the MicroTrack itself when plugging the mic directly into the recorder rather than using an extension cable).  Given how hot it seemed, I couldn't believe it wouldn't clip for any real volumes.  It looks more like a dictaphone accessory.

I think it helps a great deal that the battery box goes through the 1/4TRS jacks. So the supplied t-mic is plugged into the 1/8 jack on the battery box, but the battery box is pligged into the 1/4 TRS jacks which are less sensitive. I also use an angle connector between the t-mic and the battery box, so that way I can swivel the mic forward. It is probably hard to picture, but if I can find some time, I'll shoot a photo of it. Tha battery box comes from Sound Professionals, and it takes up very little room, but makes the unit perform much better.

Offline king_rhoton

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »
I think it helps a great deal that the battery box goes through the 1/4TRS jacks. So the supplied t-mic is plugged into the 1/8 jack on the battery box, but the battery box is pligged into the 1/4 TRS jacks which are less sensitive. I also use an angle connector between the t-mic and the battery box, so that way I can swivel the mic forward. It is probably hard to picture, but if I can find some time, I'll shoot a photo of it. Tha battery box comes from Sound Professionals, and it takes up very little room, but makes the unit perform much better.

That's an interesting unit--I'd not seen it before.  Out of curiosity, it claims it uses a 12V battery.  What kind, and is it rechargeable?  Can it be powered externally (by the same box I'd use to power the Microtrack?  It's a shame it doesn't run off phantom power (since it's connecting to 1/4" anyway).

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 01:50:32 PM »

That's an interesting unit--I'd not seen it before.  Out of curiosity, it claims it uses a 12V battery.  What kind, and is it rechargeable?  Can it be powered externally (by the same box I'd use to power the Microtrack?  It's a shame it doesn't run off phantom power (since it's connecting to 1/4" anyway).

The need for a battery was for me the biggest reason to hesitate. I have yet to open the unit to replace it, but I believe it is a button type of battery. I have used it for well over a year and many shows and it is fine, but like smoke alarms, maybe I should change it every year or so on a specific date. I was assured it would last for 50-60 shows, and I am well on my way. I have an older more traditional SP battery box too that I used for a long time, and that takes a 9v battery, and with that one too, I was able to go years without needing to replace it. I guess the power draw is very low and must only take place while actual recording is going on.

If anyone knows more about this topic, I'd love for them to chime in. I am always wondering what is the best way to conserve battery power on the battery box, as they do not have any type of indicator to help me know. I have never had a failure, but still, knowledge is power... ;D

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 09:12:35 PM »
so not see stupid but.... as far as the seemless files go, as long as you can stop every 1:50 or so to save that file your ok?  and if so how long does it take to save and start a new file?  could it be done quickly between songs?  just wondering about my options down this avenue....

thanks again for the insight.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:54:31 PM by mimna3 »
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 12:36:32 AM »
so not see stupid but.... as far as the seemless files go, as long as you can stop every 1:50 or so to save that file your ok?  and if so how long does it take to save and start a new file?  could it be done quickly between songs?  just wondering about my options down this avenue....

1:55 at 24/48. It seems to take about 5 seconds to save and start a file.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 12:00:17 PM »
so not see stupid but.... as far as the seemless files go, as long as you can stop every 1:50 or so to save that file your ok? 

yep

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 12:45:34 PM »
so not see stupid but.... as far as the seemless files go, as long as you can stop every 1:50 or so to save that file your ok? 

yep

1:55 at 24/48. It seems to take about 5 seconds to save and start a file.
thanks for the clarity ;D
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com