Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: E-mail from Avantone sales rep  (Read 9400 times)

Offline tenesejedd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
E-mail from Avantone sales rep
« on: April 14, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »
Hey guys,
So I sent the following email to Glen (international sales rep for Avantone). And below that I have pasted his reply.  Seems like a really nice guy and very thorough in his response. Also very interesting information on a recent "showdown" on the Avantone vs. some major brand names.  Read below.

my email to Glen

Glen,

I've heard some really good things about the ck-1's and am considering picking up a pair. I will be using them for stereo recording of live concerts. (not sure if you're aware, but these mics are getting some good attention and reviews in the concert taping community). My question is: is it possible to get the ck-1s as a matched pair?

thanks for your time!
Christos

His response

Hi Christos,

No, I wasn’t aware of the attention that they’re getting but I’m very happy about it.  I’ve got to tell you that about 5 weeks a very famous producer in Nashville by the name of Ray Kennedy called me and thought that our mics looked very good and wanted to know if I would be willing to do a “shoot-out” against some very serious microphones in his studio “Room and Board”.  He also wanted to invite a number of “A team” producers/engineers” on an “invitation only” to hear them.  He warned me that whatever the results would be the results.  I decided to go for it because as an engineer myself, I’ know how much work we’ve put into our mics.  So, the day was set and I went up a day early and Ray and I set up the microphones.  He took special care to make sure that all mics were treated exactly the same in terms of levels, distance, etc.  He used API mic pre’s going directly to Pro Tools (I’ll tell you more about that in a minute).  On the day of the shootout, producers like Jon Tiven, engineer/manager Cory Stone with Pam Tillis and Randy Blevins of Blevins Audio (who is a real expert in vintage mics), were in attendance.  It was a great day for Avant Electronics.  Our CV-12 tube mic absolutely held up against Neumann U87’s, U47’s and many more, Ray has a beautiful collection of vintage microphones and he really loved our CR-14 dual Ribbon mic even when he put it up against his vintage RCA’s. Our CV-28 tube mic went over big and so did our upcoming CK-40 Stereo Mic (that hasn’t been released yet)… So, finally near the end of the day, we got to the CK-1’s.  Ray plugged it up and frankly everybody was stunned at how great it sounded.  We compared it against an AKG 452, KM-84 and I believe a 451 also and there was no comparison. Several other high end mics were also tested against it, I honestly can’t recall the others… At one point, we actually went out to make sure that we didn’t have the mic cables crossed.  We tried the different capsules and they sound wonderful also.  Ray did a very cool thing in Omni mode by pointing the mic toward the guitar and singing over the top of the mic.  It sounded perfectly balanced.  Sorry for the long story, but because of “The Nashville Shootout”, we sold out of CV-12 tube mics in less than a week, CR-14’s are almost all gone, CV-28’s are selling well, (even the comedian Andy Dick called me yesterday and bought one and placed an order for a CV-12), and CK-1’s seem to be our best bang for the buck mic in our line.  I remember prior to going to Nashville, spending time listening to all the mics a lot, and I remember thinking that the CK-1 sounded really great, but even I wasn’t sure, because I only got to do “speaking tests” on that mic.

Now, regarding the Pro Tool recording…  Ray Kennedy was meticulous with his documentation and he has all the recordings of each specific Avant mic and the mics that they were compared against.  He is working on a DVD for us so people can load the files up and hear them for their selves.  We might do a CD so customers can check them out also.  What we’re happy about is that we didn’t know Ray Kennedy going into this test and he was totally professional throughout the session.  As an engineer myself, I know that there is no “curve” or favoritism on these recordings for any mics.  It was an honest test through and through and Ray signed off on it.  That’s something that I’ve been told that he simply will not do if it isn’t legit.

Now, to answer your questionJ.  No, we do not sell CK-1’s in matched pairs but we set a much tighter tolerance level on all of our microphones including how closely they sound to each other.  We’ve actually measured less than 1 dB between CK-1’s, so I honestly don’t think that you will even notice a difference between any two.  I’ve listened to lots of CK-1’s as stereo pairs and they just don’t seem to vary hardly at all.

Christos, thank you for your email.  Lots of people are just finding out about us; and the real truth is that we’re just a small group of musicians and studio engineers who started this company because we really do want to “give back” to the music industry.  If you look at our mics, you’ll see that they’re built better, look better, and we obviously believe, sound better.  Then we price them better.  We know for a fact that there are companies that are paying no more than we do for their mics, yet they have prices that are more like $799, 899 and even more.  That gives them lots of profit and affords them lots of advertising, nice pay checks and great looking web sites, etc.  We preferred to give the savings to our dealers and customers and hope that the “old style of selling” will work.  My philosophy is simply that if is all the above mentioned things are true, then eventually people will figure it out and support us.  We just don’t want 50% of our, (and your), money going to pay for glossy ads, big dinners, $6500 a month webmasters, and grinning business men who could care less about the music.  That’s really what we’re about…Do we need to make a living?  Of course.  Will we?  Only if we sell lots of microphones.  I call it “the McDonald’s plan. Sell lots of mics, we’ll be OK…  Still, we won’t put a 50 cent switch on our mics because the good ones cost $5.00 each, so when you see a silver switch for a pad, roll-off or pattern selection; you can rest assured that we went the extra mile and paid $15.00 for those 3 switches instead of $1.50.  This is a fact and the sad part is that the cheap ones look identical.  But let me assure you that there are companies that don’t buy the $5.00 switch.

Our saying is “Hey, We’re Avant Electronics and We Hear You”…  Perhaps this makes a bit more sense now.

Feel free to share any of this information on your group if you wish and if you decide to buy CK-1’s, then I just want to say “Thank You” in advance… If you like them, please tell folks.  You guys support keeps our prices down and allows us to make mics that really do deserve the words “Affordable Excellence” after their name.

Take care,

-glen

some pretty interesting stuff. I think I may just pick up a pair of ck-1s to play around with.

Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline TheMaestro

• Taperssection Regular
Re: E-mail from Avantone sales rep
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 11:41:15 PM »
Reading your thread makes me want to go buy a pair.
Thanks for sharing the email.
Venue Security: Let me see your identification.
TheMaestro: [with a small wave of his hand] You don't need to see his identification.
Venue Security: We don't need to see his identification.
TheMaestro: This isn't the recording equipment you're looking for.
Venue Security: This isn't the recording equipment we're looking for.
TheMaestro: He can go about his business.
Venue Security: You can go about your business.
TheMaestro: Move along.
Venue Security: Move along... move along.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 07:57:39 AM »
Reading your thread makes me want to go buy a pair.
Thanks for sharing the email.

Same here!

Roving Sign

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:42:46 AM »
I love the CK1s and am considering the CK7 multipattern...been wanting a figure 8...might have to hold out and see what their CK-40 stereo mic looks like

Offline majormidi

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Glen -National Sales Manager - Avant Electronics
    • Avant Electronics
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 03:25:18 AM »
Here's some info on the CK-40 and CK-33 Stereo Mic plus a photo of the CK-40!  By the way, I want you to know that this photo IS NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT!  I snapped this picture from the one mic that we had at the NAMM show, so be advised that this is just a "first view" - and basic view at that!

CK-40 Stereo FET Mic      Retail $599
    Large Capsule (35mm) Multi-Pattern
             Class A Transformerless FET Electronics
              2 sets of -10 pads/roll-off switches
    2 sets of 3 position pattern select switches (Cardioid-Omni-Figure 8)    
             Custom ‘Retro’ Shock-mount
    Wood mic box & aluminum carry case
    Great for room mic, orchestra, choral, ensemble, instrumental, backing groups vocals, drum overhead, etc.

CK-33 Stereo FET Mic   Retail $349
            Large Capsule (32mm) Capsule/Multi-Pattern FET
            -10 pad/ roll-off switch
            Retro Shock-mount
            Wood mic box & aluminum carry case

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:07:15 PM by majormidi »

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:37:10 PM »
I bought a pair of the CK-1's and so far I notice no difference between them in the testing I have done so far... but I have yet to record a show.

I say let them keep the price low and sell them in singles. Selling matched pairs of lower priced mics always seemed a little gimmicky to me.

Thanks for the pics of the CK-40... I am going to start liquidating uneeded assets now in anticipation of it's release. :)
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »
that CK-40 looks hot!  Hmmm, I think the Studio Projects LSD2 may have met its match.... time will tell i guess.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline majormidi

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Glen -National Sales Manager - Avant Electronics
    • Avant Electronics
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
Oh wait until we get it really fixed up.  This is only the prototype, but we've got the sound we want.  Things you'll notice right now are poor indicators as to where you're at when you move the top head. There will be graphics so you can easily see where you're moving the top head which moves 90 degrees by the way.

(The bottom head is permanently fixed - as it is on the CK-33).  Our logo isn't on it yet and there are some more nice appearance improvements coming to. There will be a 1 in 2 out splitter box also.  You are seeing the correct Shock mount.

Someone asked me the other day how we got our came up with the names of our mics.  Well, it's really easy.  This mic series and color is known as the Cabernet Series, so all the mics start with a "C".  Snce our mics tend to have a German look to them we decide to use the German spelling for Condenser which starts with a "K", thus a CK-1 = a Cabernet Condenser 1.  Our Tube mic is also know as a Valve mic so we use "V", so our sold-out CV-12 = Cabernet Valve 12. the CR-14 is a ribbon mic.  Wanna guess?  You got it!  Cabernet Ribbon.  Now it gets harder.  We have a 5 pc. and 7 pc. drum kit. So what do you think this means -CDMK-7 ?  Oh, you're going to love this one:-)  CDMK-7 = Cabernet Drum Mic Kit 7/  Finally, we sell the kick, snare and tom mics seperately and I don't think that you would ever guess all of them, so here they are:
  • AMK = Avant "Mondo" Kick
    ATOM = Avant TOM mic
    ADM = Avant Snare Mic (this mic really works just about anywhere - vocals, guitar amps, let's call it the versitility of a SM-57

Now you know how we named our mics.  You guys are looking at the Cabneret Series mics.  There will be other series...
-glen
-Avant Electronics
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:34:12 PM by majormidi »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 12:39:08 AM »
Oh wait until we get it really fixed up.  This is only the prototype, but we've got the sound we want.  Things you'll notice right now are poor indicators as to where you're at when you move the top head. There will be graphics so you can easily see where you're moving the top head which moves 180% by the way. We're considering notches as you turn it too.  What do you guys think?  Would a lot of notches that you could easily move be better than trying to just try and "line it up" by graphics only?  Help us help you!  We come to a conclusion with you guys and then do it the same way on both stereo mics.  Hey, I'm mean, "We hear you":-)  (sorry, my sales pitch jumped in)!

Personally I would prefer numbered notches 45*, 90*, 110* 120* .....  Thanks for asking.  Its always helpful to make it simple.  When you in the field having numbers takes the guess work out of it, especially in dimmly lit areas.  Further more some of us like to endulge a little and having a number to would help, if you know what I mean.  LOL LOL....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »
Well, watching guys juggle t-bars and protractors in the section never really gets old but...
I think that this suggestion is dead-on:

Personally I would prefer numbered notches 45*, 90*, 110* 120* .....  Thanks for asking.  Its always helpful to make it simple.  When you in the field having numbers takes the guess work out of it, especially in dimmly lit areas.  Further more some of us like to endulge a little and having a number to would help, if you know what I mean.  LOL LOL....

Takes the guesswork out of what pattern you're running...
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline paullySC

• Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 01:30:28 PM »
I found a some shows taped with the Avatone CK-1 mics on archive.org, sounds good!
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 03:11:02 PM »
Thanks for the pics/info on the stereo microphone.  I'd love to hear more about this.  What are the dimensions of the mic itself?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »
Very interested in the stereo mic.  I would be even more interested in a SD fig 8.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 03:31:18 PM »
I would be even more interested in a SD fig 8.

yeah, a small diaphragm figure-8 would rock.  I've been wanting to try out some M/S recording :)

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 03:44:45 PM »
I found a some shows taped with the Avatone CK-1 mics on archive.org, sounds good!

I wish you guys would STFU about these mics.  :P  It's making me want to buy a pair and an ART Phantom II or something affordable ($200 for a UA-5 is way out of my budget right now) to power them.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline TheMaestro

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 05:02:51 PM »
Hmm, I've been thinking about going ck-1s>ua-5>iriver for an open rig.
Venue Security: Let me see your identification.
TheMaestro: [with a small wave of his hand] You don't need to see his identification.
Venue Security: We don't need to see his identification.
TheMaestro: This isn't the recording equipment you're looking for.
Venue Security: This isn't the recording equipment we're looking for.
TheMaestro: He can go about his business.
Venue Security: You can go about your business.
TheMaestro: Move along.
Venue Security: Move along... move along.

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 09:31:54 AM »
That CK40 really is tempting...
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com