Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MP3's dl'ing as Mpeg???  (Read 1654 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
MP3's dl'ing as Mpeg???
« on: May 11, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
I was dl'ing some of the MP3 offerings over at Dead.net/taper section - http://dead.net/view/tapers - for my ipod and noticed they were dl'ing as Mpeg's and not MP3's. Switched to another PC and they dl as MP3 files. Is there something in the settings on my laptop that is forcing these to be dl'ed as Mpegs and not MP3's? I'm doing the "right click/save target as" and the "save as type" drop down lists mpeg movie or all files only.  :hmmm:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: MP3's dl'ing as Mpeg???
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
Probably just a matter of what application is associated with the .MP3 file type.  If you're on Windows, something like (depending on Win version) Tools | Options | File Types in Windows Explorer should show you which applications are associated with which file types.  Then, just change accordingly.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 01:00:15 PM »
Thanks Brian. I sorta got to the area your'e talking about. I was able to change it to winamp media file. I should be able to dl it as an MP3 file and not getting that. I'm on WIN XP.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 02:19:53 PM »
You're downloading it as an MP3, and it's still an MP3 after it's stored on your HDD - despite Windows Explorer identifying it as MPEG or Winamp Media File, etc.  The filetype is the filetype, regardless of how Win Exp identifies it.  Win Exp simply displays the file type depending on the application associated with the file, not on the file's actual type.  For example, take a WAV file named audio.wav.  Rename it to audio.doc.  Win Exp will identify it as an MS Word Document, even though it's actually an audio file.

To see the file extension (.mp3, .wav, etc.) and easily identify the file type despite how Win Exp identifies the file, turn on file extensions (again in Win Exp: Tools | Folder Options | View | untick the Hide extension for known file types box.  The filename extension should still be *.mp3.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline ts

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 02:37:55 PM »
Thanks. I think I got it.

Tony

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com