Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sensaphonics phones  (Read 3313 times)

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Sensaphonics phones
« on: June 10, 2007, 03:59:52 AM »
I've been reading up on the in-ear thing lately because so much of my listening happens during the walk to work and my desire for silence filled with beautiful music on airplanes.

Anyone have any comments on sensaphonics molded earphones?
People seem to dig 'em a lot:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76328

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Sensaphonics phones
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 09:12:50 PM »
thats a good read.  sounds like nice little nuggets.  go for it

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »
Haw. I figure I'll just take this Cyclops with me if I ever leave the house again. ;D

Its been a while but I'm still in research mode.
Might 'o caught onto something I'm gonna check out though.. here's some bait:

http://www.knowlesacoustics.com/knowlesacoustics-apps/specialty_prodbycatlist.do?category_id=30

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:15:41 AM »
fwiw..I was very impressed w/the sound and features of the M-audio in ear phones.  their cheapest is $99, and sound better than comparable products that i've used.

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 10:03:48 AM »
Thanks. Those are the Ultimate Ears super.fi series being sold within a partnership detailed at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/superfi.htm

I'll bet they sound pretty sweet.

After trying a bunch of ear buds including Sure's, I'm highly leary of them for fit and sound though.
In fact I swore the whole genre off a while ago.  ::)
Today I use those sony over-ear, behind the neck phones.
I like the form factor and they sound fine providing soundtrack for action sequences like mountain biking.
But now requirements have changed: I want to really listen and attenuate outside sound so.. time to investigate options..

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 12:08:38 PM »
After trying a bunch of ear buds including Sure's, I'm highly leary of them for fit and sound though.
< snip >
But now requirements have changed: I want to really listen and attenuate outside sound so.. time to investigate options.

Custom-molded musician's earplugs that pair with some in-ear 'phones* should address your fit and attenuation requirements.  Can't speak to sound as I've only ever used my Etymotic ER-6, with which I'm pretty happy.

* I know ER-6 (but not the -6i) fit custom-molded musician's earplugs.  Not sure of any other models, though I vaguely recall someone saying the Ultimate Ears 'phones also fit.

Well worth the cost, IMO - save your hearing with the -9 / -15 / -25 dB attenuating filters (you don't want to end up like this guy, do you?), and then swap out the filters for insertable earphones (like the ER-6s pictured here).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 12:23:25 PM »
i have the sures..., and got rid of them promptly after hearing the M-audios.  much better fit and sound.

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 09:14:38 PM »

So Brian thanks that's kinda cool.
I looked into those also, but had concerns using this system in an active environment.
Do the phones stick out of yer ear? Can they be used under helmets and toques?
I like the choices of attenuation.

BUT here's what I'm getting into:

http://www.livewiresforyou.com/

So apparently everyone uses the drivers made by Knowles. The fellas (a hearing guy and a music guy) noticed that the most expensive drivers Knowles makes cost $8.50. They figured with the existing pricing models they can slide in much cheaper with essentially the same product and reach a whole other layer of customers (like me) who aren't ready to drop a grand on some phones (but want to).

There's a difference in design: the other companies use a little chamber to mix the sound before piping it to yer ears, where these guys use your uh, ear cavity to do this mixing by piping each driver independently to your uh, ear cavity. They figure this removes some phasing issues the competition has.

Reviewers are comparing them to Sensaphonics from their subjective viewpoints, which suits me fine, as per above review.

I exchanged some emails, and liked what I thought were some candid answers.

Coupla excerpts:

> Growing pains? Good question...really. Like many start-ups, we                                     
> are challenged to project anticipated sales and order an appropriate number of                                 
> components.

<snip>

> Our driver manufacturer, Knowles Acoustics, has a very structured
> manufacturing system in place in Malaysia that does not offer us large swings
> in anticipated needs. We also have started this company pretty much on scotch
> tape and paper clips, so yeah, I guess you could say we've had growing pains.

<snip>

> We do know, however, that we are building as good an in-ear monitor as there is
> available anywhere in the world and we feel our pricing brings into play an
> entire new consumer group that would have never spent 600-800 dollars for a
> custom in-ear product.

<snip>

> we intend to be here for the long run with future offerings that will keep us
> in the forefront of custom in-ear audio products.

bobbygeewow says:

<snip>

you don't mind me quoting you out of context when you stated you                                     
 "started this company pretty much on scotch"  do you?

John says:

> Did I say 'scotch'??? Meant to say Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Sorry for the                                     
> confusion.

Regardless, they are bound to sound at least comparable to what I use today, with the benefit of in-earness and attenuation.
I have plenty of patience for a coupla guys working afterhours in a garage to get a cool new thing going, and any foibles they may encounter.
(Not that I know this about them, but I can hack it if it goes that way.)

So for a laugh I'm going for it - and get to beat Nick the Professional Early Adopter to market!!!!  ;D

Offline joeshambro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »
i did the first large-publication review of the livewires.  to my ears, the sound is almost identical to the sensaphonics 2xs, although the build quality isn't as good -- although i'd say it's 90% there.  i say nearly identical because the sensitivity of the drivers (more than likely at the crossover circuit) is extremely high in comparison, which can be bothersome.

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 01:35:29 AM »
Joe, can you eleborate? - what difference in build quality, and how does the sensitivity manifest to cause bother for you?
Thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com