Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: in the wall speaker cables?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
TSKB: in the wall speaker cables?
« on: July 26, 2007, 05:42:33 PM »
any recommendations for in the wall cables?  I have a fairly large house with a computer in the office and long spans between amps and listening areas.  I wan to put HQ jacks in the walls and run cables through my walls.  I know it can be done but don't feel like going to Home Depot and buying over priced monster in wall.  what's good?  DIY options are great.  I will also need long spans of optical, is there an in wall rated version?

thanks for any suggestions.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TSKB: in the wall speaker cables?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 06:16:15 PM »
I believe in-wall applications require a UL approval stamp if anyone official is looking.  We have a demo set of 14 AWG, four conductor OFC speaker cable designed for in-wall applications.  You're welcome to audition them.  They're bare-wire demos and the wire is available off the reel in whatever length is required.  It retails for $4 per foot.  Feel free to PM me for more information.

Chris

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »
what about buying a ton of millspec cable cheap and using that?

fwiw...I've got a 50' length of wire that I bought for mic cable..turns out this shit is just plain weird..., but it would make awesome speaker cable.  You probably need a lot more of it.
strange stuff...its shielded...and then each conductor is shielded separately and then re-teflon'd.  resulting cable is too stiff for mic use. 

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 10:17:45 AM »
Keep in mind when pulling what ever cables you use through your walls, if possible try avoid running the parallel to any AC wires. You might pick up a 60hz hum if you do.  I had that problem years ago at my moms house. Running a shielded wire, and grounding one end of the shielding might help here as well.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 10:18:20 AM »
Keep in mind when pulling what ever cables you use through your walls, if possible try avoid running the parallel to any AC wires. You might pick up a 60hz hum if you do.  I had that problem years ago at my moms house. Running a shielded wire, and grounding one end of the shielding might help here as well.

Thanks for the tip! 
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 11:27:24 PM »
what about buying a ton of millspec cable cheap and using that?

fwiw...I've got a 50' length of wire that I bought for mic cable..turns out this shit is just plain weird..., but it would make awesome speaker cable.  You probably need a lot more of it.
strange stuff...its shielded...and then each conductor is shielded separately and then re-teflon'd.  resulting cable is too stiff for mic use. 

Hey Nick,
Microphone cable is too small for speaker cable applications.  20-26 AWG will pass a signal, but speaker cables should be at least 16 AWG, preferably 14 AWG or larger.

Chris

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 08:08:13 AM »
this stuff is pretty damn'd thick.  not sue of its gauge.

when I use millspec for speaker cable, its 14awg usually.
works like butta.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com