Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Repairs for TCD-D8 (I searched the forums 1st)  (Read 8161 times)

Offline skydiver44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Repairs for TCD-D8 (I searched the forums 1st)
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
Hello everyone, a newbie to the forums here. But not even close to being new to DAT recording. Anyway, I did a search string on "Sony TCD-D8 repairs" to no avail....I'm looking to get mine repaired (I'm getting a 'Load Error' )and cannot find any shops, at least within driving distance. Well there is one and they had my deck for 6 mos! Then told me they could not fix it (it was an authorized Sony dealer/repair place). Now it looks like I'll have to send it off somewhere to be fixed but cannot find anywhere that still works on D-8's. Any suggestions on dealers/ repair shops would be great.

I have lots of Phish, Dead, etc...
Thanks, skydiver44

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Repairs for TCD-D8 (I searched the forums 1st)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »
No suggestions on help unfortunately, but are you using it to record still?  Might be a good excuse to enter the digital age.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
Paul Plotnik at Pro Digital can still repair these...

but why on earth would you want to? Either get a solid home deck to transfer existing masters or ditch DAT entirely. Repairing your D8 will cost you as much or more than handheld solid state recorder.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
Paul Plotnik at Pro Digital can still repair these...

http://www.prodigitalinc.com/

but why on earth would you want to? Either get a solid home deck to transfer existing masters or ditch DAT entirely. Repairing your D8 will cost you as much or more than handheld solid state recorder.
+1
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
Pro digital do excellent work and have a pretty quick turnaround - but I have to agree with other comments - DAT is not the ideal mechanism for field recording anymore esp when you can pick up a decent flash recorder for under $250 (which would be close to the cost to repair your D8).

If you still own alot of DAT pick up a home deck as good sony's can be had around $100 or so.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 03:27:35 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=155313.0

Time to upgrade to the 21st century???  methinks it will be worth it in the long run...

And if you pick up a home deck to do Transfers of your old DAT(m)s, you can run them into the FR2LE, and then copy the Card onto your PC...  Easy Squeezy...  I do the same: PCM-R500 > SPDIF > HD-P2...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 05:09:50 AM »
I receivEd the dreaded load error on my D8 once. Asked Paul at Pro Digital for a repair quote and he said between $250 and $400. With good digital recorders costing around $200 now, you may want to think about making the switch.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 10:44:07 PM »
Switch to a Sony PCM-M10 and buy a home DAT deck or 2 for transferring ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline robertmode

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 05:37:54 AM »
Hello,

professor_magic on ebay do excellent work also.

Yours sincerely.
Robert

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »
If you DO decide to get a home deck, I'd recommend gettng a full head deck (like a Sony PCM-R500)......I have tapes made by about 5 different D8's, and I have yet to have any problems reading any one of them.  Can't say that about my half-head Tascam da-20mkII.

edit - fat fingers
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:49:35 PM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »
as others have said - Plotnik is good, but it's not worth it.

Go 48kHz, at 24-bit, you'll love it.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Angstroms

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »
Hello all,

My first post on this forum, so I'd like to say hello. But also, I am a DAT taper for the past 18 years or so... I am blown away by the vast information here and I am behind the times regarding these new recorders. What are some of the good ones around these days? I didn't want to start another thread, so I hope this is ok to ask here.

But to chime in on the topic, I have been going to prodigital for years. They have serviced all of my decks and the service has always been great.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 12:45:41 PM »
But to chime in on the topic, I have been going to prodigital for years. They have serviced all of my decks and the service has always been great.

ProDigital does great work, but my DAT (TCD-D100) seemed to need $200 in repairs every 2 years to prevent drop outs (Paul said tiny plastic gears can go even if the deck isn't being used).

Now you can buy an M10 for $200 and it probably won't go bad for years. Then you just buy another deck.

I have had a lot a different flash decks over the past 6 years and not one ever had a problem (except for a Busman FR2-LE that wasn't working right when I received it).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:35:34 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Angstroms

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »

ProDigital does great work, but my DAT (DCD-D100) seemed to need $200 in repairs every 2 years to prevent drop outs (Paul said tiny plastic gears can go even if the deck isn't being used).

Now you can buy an M10 for $200 and it probably won't go bad for years. Then you just buy another deck.

I have had a lot a different flash decks over the past 6 years and not one ever had a problem (except for a Busman FR2-LE that wasn't working right when I received it).

Very true. I get my 3 D8's serviced every 3 years or so.

I now am interested in the flash decks. As nice as it is to have physical media, I am an old dinosaur basically with this gear. I assume the M10 is the standard nowadays?

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »
I'd consider the M10 to be the standard compared to the D8.

The standard "cost is no object" are the Sound Devices decks.

If your really concerned with physical media...it really wouldn't be that outrageous to buy a new card for every show. That being said...hard drives with both on site and off site backups are a hell of a lot easier to keep track of. The flash media for the M10 is about the size of a dime. Sort of hard to write on them.

My process is:

1. Record Show to flash media
2. Xfer flash media to HD (archive the master)
3. Edit and track master
4. Save tracked show to HD
5. Clone my main HD and backup HD.
6. Once every few months (or so) backup entire library to external HD to keep off site.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »
The flash media for the M10 is about the size of a dime. Sort of hard to write on them.

Also kind of hard to organize them and keep from losing them. I wouldn't use flash drives to save my masters even if I could get them for free.

I would (and do) use a system similar to the one Fatah Ruark describes.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline Angstroms

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »

If your really concerned with physical media...it really wouldn't be that outrageous to buy a new card for every show. That being said...hard drives with both on site and off site backups are a hell of a lot easier to keep track of. The flash media for the M10 is about the size of a dime. Sort of hard to write on them.

My process is:

3. Edit and track master
6. Once every few months (or so) backup entire library to external HD to keep off site.

I have a lot to learn.... All of this stuff is new to me. Those Sound Device recorders are very big. They wouldn't be good for what type of recording I do, if you know what I mean. I have seen the other flash recorders, the R09 and Microtracker. I assume that the M10 is the benchmark still between these three models?

I will sometime soon, have to transfer all of my DATs, as they are taking up a lot of room. What is the best way to transfer these from DAT to flash?

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »

My process is:

3. Edit and track master

How you are listening to your recordings ?
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 07:46:17 AM »
I have a lot to learn.... All of this stuff is new to me. Those Sound Device recorders are very big. They wouldn't be good for what type of recording I do, if you know what I mean. I have seen the other flash recorders, the R09 and Microtracker. I assume that the M10 is the benchmark still between these three models?

I will sometime soon, have to transfer all of my DATs, as they are taking up a lot of room. What is the best way to transfer these from DAT to flash?

The MicroTracks are not as convenient as most for live recording, and many people have had problems with them causing recordings to be lost (usually, I think, when going digi-in). I would use an M10 which has great battery life and good enough pre's that you usually don't need an external preamp.

However, if you can get a used MT 24/96 or MT2 at a good price here or on E-Bay (say $100 or less) that would be a great way to transfer your DAT's since the MT's have a coax digital-in. Other recorders with a digital in are quite a bit more expensive.

Offline Angstroms

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely look into this!

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 05:04:46 AM »

My process is:

3. Edit and track master

How you are listening to your recordings ?

Generally straight off my computer to either my speakers or headphones hooked up to my computer.

Also just put together a Raspberry Pi running XMBC hooked up to my stereo in my living room (controlled by my Android phone). It pulls the files off my desktop.

Eventually I'm going to put together a media server. Tried that with the Raspberry Pi...but it's not powerful or reliable enough to do that sort of work.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »
Here is my workflow:

1. Record to MicroSDHC Cards
2. xfer them to my INHDD/EXHDD
3. Burn 24-bit DVDRs[both WAVS and FLACS]
4. burn 16 AND 24bit TRACKED copies to DVDR
5. UL what I can to archive.org or bt.etree.org
6. Enjoy listening to them

:)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com