Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM-M10 Glitch--and of course it was during Radiohead....  (Read 9843 times)

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: PCM-M10 Glitch--and of course it was during Radiohead....
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »
I always use class 10 or class 16. I think the problem is the speed of the card.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 12:08:10 PM »
A stereo recording at 24/96 produces ~ 0.55 MB/s.  As Todd noted, a class 2 card should be good for 2 MB/s...

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »
By design the M10 splits files at 2GB due to older computer file systems having a 2GB file size limit.

This is actually a limitation of the WAVE file format, not the file system.

FAT32 had 4GB limit. Wikipedia quotes 4GB as a limit to the WAV format as well due to using 32bit unsigned intergers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV)
It goes on to say that some software had a 2GB limit due to implementing the file length with a signed integer, IIRC Soundforge was one of them. (more info at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32422)

Real world? 2GB is the least common denominator. It works well everywhere. With seamless splits between files, it's not a big deal.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 10:15:02 PM »
What mic's are you using ?

Someone on the PCM thread mentioned the card needs to be formatted everytime you use it . I don't know if you did that , but I did find it very useful to know.

But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »
Those were Church Audio CA-14 omnis. 

I don't think the card needs to be reformatted for each use.  There are times when I'm too busy to upload, and the card can store a lot of shows.

The card does need to be formatted by the PCM-M10 before you start recording on it--but just once, not every time.

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »
Those were Church Audio CA-14 omnis. 

I don't think the card needs to be reformatted for each use.  There are times when I'm too busy to upload, and the card can store a lot of shows.

The card does need to be formatted by the PCM-M10 before you start recording on it--but just once, not every time.

Why is it you choose Omnis if I my ask ?

I format my MicroSd everytime I make a new recording . I don't think it can hurt and uploading only takes 5- 10 minutes . I use a lexar 16 GB class 10 card. So far every recording came out flawless.
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 11:13:18 PM »
I reformat my card in the M-10 after removing the recordings.  I find it simply easier and simpler than deleting them.

I've used class 4 to class 10.  I'd never consider using a class 2, regardless of brand. 
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
Well, 40+ hours of Bonnaroo recordings all need to be named and uploaded...and I haven't gotten around to that. Once everything is uploaded, obviously formatting is the way to go. Agreed that it doesn't hurt.

Ekib, I use omnis because I like the sound better. The few recordings I have made with cardioids gave me the impression through headphones that there was nothingness  behind me--a weird flat void, which didn't feel natural. Also, since I usually clip the microphones to me, semi-stealthy, omnis don't sound like they are swinging around if I have to move.

Omnis also give you more bass response for the buck, and they are less susceptible to wind noise.  Cardioids affixed to a stand, up over people's heads and aimed at the PA, are probably an ideal choice for some people, but I prefer omnis for my more low-profile method.

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
Well, 40+ hours of Bonnaroo recordings all need to be named and uploaded...and I haven't gotten around to that. Once everything is uploaded, obviously formatting is the way to go. Agreed that it doesn't hurt.

Ekib, I use omnis because I like the sound better. The few recordings I have made with cardioids gave me the impression through headphones that there was nothingness  behind me--a weird flat void, which didn't feel natural. Also, since I usually clip the microphones to me, semi-stealthy, omnis don't sound like they are swinging around if I have to move.

Omnis also give you more bass response for the buck, and they are less susceptible to wind noise.  Cardioids affixed to a stand, up over people's heads and aimed at the PA, are probably an ideal choice for some people, but I prefer omnis for my more low-profile method.

I find the bass response with omni's the thing I don't like. I find that very unnatural. And for me mostly recording metal , the bass drums are always the big problems with mic's who have more bass response. Now I know you have bass roll off's , filter's etc. But in the end I ended up mixing my recordings the same way my current card's are doing . The way omni's give that bass response is something you never hear in a concert at all .
I am very happy with my card's ( Core Sound Stealthy Cardioid ) and I won't change them for anything else . Not even for mic's that are supposed to be better . This is the sound I like ( and I use them since 1998 ).
Still I find it interesting to know someone else's opinion  ( like yours ) and it's good everyone's taste can be different !

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 02:56:45 AM »
The sound you like is the sound you are accustomed to. Many concerts give you huge bass in terms of real experience. The omnis don't increase the bass but they do record it. The cards roll it off. I think the omnis are more accurate--even at a bass-heavy show--and after they capture the full spectrum, you can roll off the bass if it's too much.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:52:32 AM by earmonger »

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 01:59:34 PM »
The sound you like is the sound you are accustomed to. Many concerts give you huge bass in terms of real experience. The omnis don't increase the bass but they do record it. The cards roll it off. I think the omnis are more accurate--even at a bass-heavy show--and after they capture the full spectrum, you can roll off the bass if it's too much.

Don't you have a problem on the bass drums etc. starting to distort when there's heavy drums ? That was my big problem the time I used binaural's.
I also like card's because they are more "direct".

I totally dig my mic's and not because I am used to them . It's because they record the way I like it . Metal is extremely hard to record , especailly thrash metal . And the Coresound's have never failed on me.

It's all taste though and I wouldn't argue at all . I am just interested why people choose this or that mic .

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »
I reformat my cards after they are full and I need to record a new festival. I have been very lucky and have had ZERO problems with my 2 x M10's :) I JUST formatted my cards from electric forest after i xferred them to both my INHDD AND EXHDD. so now its safe to record on them again :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline MrMuse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »
Torn between digging up an old thread or starting a new one. Figured it might be better to keep things all in the same place...

Anyway, I had exactly the same problem reported by the OP.

A two hour+ concert recorded onto a Kingston class 4 16gb micro SD, recorded at 96/24.

This has been automatically split by the M10 into three files, the first two of which are 2,097,148 kb and each of these files is 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds in duration. The last one is a smaller file of only a few minutes duration.

Here's the interesting part, I have two sections, one on each of the large files - towards the end (54 minutes on one, 57 minutes on the other), where I get exactly the same problem reported by the OP.

The card is a Class 4, and reputable brand.

The card was formatted (on windows) the afternoon before the concert.

At the start of the second file the glitch occurs for 10 secs before clearing and the rest of the recording, well up to the 57 minute, is spot-on perfect. This seems to be some form of hangover from the first glitch.

Strange.

Did anyone do any more testing and find an answer to this?

It does look to me like some problem in writing to the SD as each file becomes larger.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
I think people have found that if you format the card on Windows (ie not in the device) that you'll be more likely to run into trouble. Not sure if that is the source of your trouble though.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
I've used Class 4 16GB Kingston SD cards many times at 24/96 without any issues at all (going into R-09HR not M10). I always format the card every time in the recorder.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.162 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com