Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 versus DAT recorders  (Read 10418 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: JB3 versus DAT recorders
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2005, 11:14:43 AM »
I'm guessing your listening experience has been limited with reguards to these mics?  I'm not saying that if you hear enough recordings, you'd enjoy them, just possibly that you heard a few bad ones so you're not inclined to give other recordings a listen.

It's entirely possible my dislike of the CS mics is a result of simply hearing a series of crappy recordings made with them, and not hearing quality recordings.

I know you'd agree with this statement:
Location, config, venue, sound system, mix, etc. all play a role.

Yeah, absolutely.  I've heard crappy Schoeps, DPA, AKG, etc. recordings, too, not just CS.

Have you heard any recordings made with the above mics by someone that wasn't green to taping at the time?  :newbie:

Dunno...most of the CS recordings are from when I was a trader, not taper, so I didn't often know the taper personally in order to determine whether they're a newb or not.

This is my reasoning for suggesting Core-Sound mics over Sound  Pro mics.

I understand your stance, makes sense to me.  Thanks for laying it out in greater detail.

I'd be more than happy to supply you with CS samples that I think might have an impact on your opinion.

I'm game.  PM sent.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: JB3 versus DAT recorders
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2005, 11:27:37 AM »
I compared core sound vs. sound pro when I first got into stealthing and ended up with at933 hypers with the sound pro selectable roll off battery box and ran them for about a year.

I listened to many core sound binaural tapes and all of them sounded unnatural. Limited low end on just about every tape I heard. Maybe they do a good job when placed 5 ft from the stacks but in those cases, most mics excel.

I do agree with the comments that the sound pros will distort for loud shows. I messed up a couple shows with them at high SPLs and ended up ditching them shortly after that. My best results were for the small venue rock shows that weren't thumping bass and screaming guitar solos.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.449 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com