Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM HD-P2 Portable High-Definition Stereo Audio Recorder  (Read 12862 times)

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
Re: TASCAM HD-P2 Portable High-Definition Stereo Audio Recorder
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 04:21:13 PM »
I have used Tascam in the field extensively in a prior life and love the machine and its easy of use.  No Dis to the 671 > probably going to go with what I know and feel better with..

Besides - look at the resale of a DAP-1... still solid after all these years!  Quality piece of work!

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 06:29:16 PM »
dont overlook the 671. so far, i am loving it. not ripping on this box. im just sayin.  :)

The only thing obvious it has on the 671 is timestamp, if the level meters and the rest is as nice as the 671 I'll be impressed.  From what I gathered from Doug is that the Tascam's specs on paper in reguards to noise floor were not impressive at all, possibly needing a little more work than the 671.  Since these aren't in stock yet we'll just have to wait and see.  :)

good info, thanks

the acm mod does sound damn nice for an all-in-one box, that is something my ears already know, BUT ive only heard nicks one ratdog show w/ the acm mod so.....

time will tell, i thought i could get the 671 soon, but looks like i may have to wait another 6 months, oh well tho, v3>jb3 is solid as hell for me., and i can wait and really decide what i wanna throw down on, cause after the nice 24-bit machine, im pretty much done w/ my rig, and it only took 7 years ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 07:06:45 PM »
The Sonic Sense main page has them shipping... not able to confirm at this time.

Seems a little premature to me.

CQBert

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 07:09:27 PM »
The Sonic Sense main page has them shipping... not able to confirm at this time.

Seems a little premature to me.

CQBert

Good luck with future improvement mods...  Both places have been great to me, SS and Oade, but if I were buying a recorder I'd have to go with Oade unless it was something like the 722.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 07:14:47 PM »
good info, thanks

the acm mod does sound damn nice for an all-in-one box, that is something my ears already know, BUT ive only heard nicks one ratdog show w/ the acm mod so.....

time will tell, i thought i could get the 671 soon, but looks like i may have to wait another 6 months, oh well tho, v3>jb3 is solid as hell for me., and i can wait and really decide what i wanna throw down on, cause after the nice 24-bit machine, im pretty much done w/ my rig, and it only took 7 years ;D

Perhaps the ACM 660, Doug is still waiting on parts for the ACM PMD-671.  I had the BCM, and honestly it sounded damn nice IMO for the price point.  V3 > JB3 is solid, you might want to consider the MT (when we know it's reliable for 24bit) unless you plan on selling the V3 and running the 671 as an all-in-one.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 08:12:41 PM »
My 722 came from SS and I have nary a complaint - they have always treated me well!!   :laugh:

I would purchase the Tascam from Parker also - but I want access to the Mods..   :(

CQBert

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 09:15:52 PM »
good info, thanks

Perhaps the ACM 660, Doug is still waiting on parts for the ACM PMD-671.  I had the BCM, and honestly it sounded damn nice IMO for the price point.  V3 > JB3 is solid, you might want to consider the MT (when we know it's reliable for 24bit) unless you plan on selling the V3 and running the 671 as an all-in-one.

mainly I'll be running v3>671, but later on, im def gonna get the ACM mod to it for those lazy nites when i dont wanna fudge w/ everything, and run it all-in-one
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 10:08:37 PM »
I really like the quality of the u89 > 722 stand alone..  I was hoping to go multi-track but life has changed and this will bring some simplicity to the rig again... there are a few V3's in the area and I will try to conduct some testing w and w/o it when the new toy arrives.

CQBert

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 01:28:56 AM »
dont overlook the 671. so far, i am loving it. not ripping on this box. im just sayin.  :)

The only thing obvious it has on the 671 is timestamp, if the level meters and the rest is as nice as the 671 I'll be impressed.  From what I gathered from Doug is that the Tascam's specs on paper in reguards to noise floor were not impressive at all, possibly needing a little more work than the 671.  Since these aren't in stock yet we'll just have to wait and see.  :)
The floor noise thats not impressive on paper is in the pre-amp?Like if you went mic>HD-P2

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 12:36:40 AM »

The floor noise thats not impressive on paper is in the pre-amp?Like if you went mic>HD-P2

That's what I meant, yes.   ;)

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2005, 08:29:43 AM »
Per Oade emai...  exactly the mod that is currently planned!

Happy Turkey Day to All..

CQBert

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 09:07:38 AM »

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that the .bwf protocol allows for over 2gb recording...

This is true.
Most windows-based audio apps cannot open them.
This includes Audacity, SoundForge, Wavelab(see below), CDWave, MediaPlayer, Foobar, WinAmp

Audiohack from Gidluck Mastering will split them. Last check, it was free.
http://www.gidluckmastering.com/
You need to ask Gordon for it, or see the yahoo group below for the link, I've lost it.

CoolEditPro and Adobe Audition will open them
Wavelab will allow an import of them.

You may want to checkout:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Portable_Tapeless_Recordists/

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2005, 04:04:38 PM »

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that the .bwf protocol allows for over 2gb recording...

This is true.
Most windows-based audio apps cannot open them.
This includes Audacity, SoundForge, Wavelab(see below), CDWave, MediaPlayer, Foobar, WinAmp

Audiohack from Gidluck Mastering will split them. Last check, it was free.
http://www.gidluckmastering.com/
You need to ask Gordon for it, or see the yahoo group below for the link, I've lost it.

CoolEditPro and Adobe Audition will open them
Wavelab will allow an import of them.

You may want to checkout:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Portable_Tapeless_Recordists/

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=37158.0

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2005, 04:41:15 PM »
this is actually a very appealing machine, I have two Tascam products and I have been completely satisfied with them both, zero complaints other than perhaps the price of one; if this unit is anywhere near as well made as them, I would buy one in an instant

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 05:15:46 PM »
Is SMPTE/LTC timecode compatible with the word clock on a v3?  What could you use for a master clock?

These are two separate things.

Wordclock is like SP/DIF only no data, just a digital pulse. It is the same frequency as the sampling rate.

SMPTE/LTC is an analog signal used for sychronization. It contains time coded information in an audible format which only a SMPTE input can decode. Time is in hours:minutes:seconds:frames format. It is not sample accurate, but close enough for film and tv.

Wordclock is sample accurate. Where you would use it is if you had three digital multitrack recorders, for example. In post processing, you could copy from one track on one machine to the track of another machine and all of the clocks are sychronized.

The Tascam recorder would timestamp the start time into the .bwf file. You could sync up video and audio in a computer later if you have the start time of the file and the video has the same timestamping. It would have to be a SMPTE source. Interestingly, I think that they have devices now that provide timecode from GPS.

Gordon

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.172 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com