Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Iriver 120 with plenty of space shuts off due to "disk full"  (Read 7660 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
any ideas?  I'm really beginning ot wonder if this unit is considering checkin' out on me (sob).  I had actually CHECKED it for space last night (and deleted some stuff) just to be SURE it had room.   It rec'd 55 minutes and switched off :(  When I tested it after I realised this, it kept flashing up a "disk full" error message.

I've now scandisked it, rebooted and am recording a test to see if it shuts down again, but...

I'm running Rockbox.

Oh, maybe another clue: since I swithced to RB (and ONLY since then) sometimes it hangs when it boots.

Any ideas? 

DPA4060
R09

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: Iriver 120 with plenty of space shuts off due to "disk full"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 09:15:34 PM »
both myself and Dgodwin had this problem friday at teh same time.  You cannot simply delete files, you must reformat each time you empty the 120.  Your problems will go away.
mics & cameras

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 09:44:52 PM »
To further clarify, I think that if you delete the files while the player is connected to the computer, you might run into problems.  If you use the player itself to delete a file or folder, you'll be ok.  Thats my guess though. 

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 09:59:07 PM »
AHA!  Ok, that makes sense... presumably also why post-scandisk it works.

Do you know if you have to do a FULL format each time? I will if necessary but boy... it's a pain!! I have deleted files from the unit via the computer before and not faced this problem, but since others are having exactly similar issues, it seems clear there's something going on... Does it only happen when moving rockbox files from teh recordings directory? I still record mp3s for non-performance stuff, and thus use iriver firmware for those - have never had a problem when moving/deleting.

All further info welcomed :)

In the meantime... anything I need to know about formatting? Have never actually done one (yikes!) - presumably it wipes everything so I need to move all data files to somehwere else. And then do I have to reinstall iriver and rockbox firmware? Are there instructions on this somewhere somebody can point me to (is it in the handy-dandy iriver faq that's being developed?)
DPA4060
R09

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 10:23:29 PM »
No you don't have to do a full format each time, however you should only delete files through the iriver, not through the computer.  When you delete them through the computer they stay there but are hidden.  This is probably why you haven't had problems so far since there was still room each time.  Formatting isn't that much of a pain. 

Copy all folders from the rockbox (except your "recordings" folder)

paste them somewhere safe

right click on the iriver in "my computer"

do a quick format.

paste it all the files you copied back into the iriver

start it up, all your settings will be like they were before but with lots of space.

To check your disk space go to the rockbox info section on in your menu, it will tell you.
mics & cameras

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 10:25:54 PM »
I just thought I would mention that I have filled up the HD several times and always have used the computer to move the files.  I have not formated the drive since I got the iRiver.  Maybe the version of Rockbox you guys are using?  I'm using the latest build that has the recording enhancement pack.  If this is a widespread problem I am not seeing it.

EDIT: Maybe it is because I choose to move and not copy/delete the files.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 10:27:42 PM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 10:28:47 PM »
I am not using the latest build, i was using a pre-optical one

dgodwin was using the optical one, but i dont know if its the latest.

I know his saved the file when it ran out of space, mine did not though i did a checkdisk /f or whatever and got it back
mics & cameras

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 10:29:11 PM »
Really stoopid question:  how do you delete them directly from the iriver? I've always done it when it's connected to the puter...

(I SAID it was a really dumb question!!! lol)
DPA4060
R09

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 10:31:19 PM »
I am not using the latest build, i was using a pre-optical one

dgodwin was using the optical one, but i dont know if its the latest.

I know his saved the file when it ran out of space, mine did not though i did a checkdisk /f or whatever and got it back

Mine saved what was there, it just shut down at 55 minutes (despite having nearly 6g of space)

Also, how much space does it need to run? In other words, I assume like a computer hard drive it needs "turnaround room" so will never actually record to its full capacity, right? How much does one HAVE to leave empty?
DPA4060
R09

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 10:33:40 PM »
Really stoopid question:  how do you delete them directly from the iriver? I've always done it when it's connected to the puter...

good question!  I didn;t know but i just experimented

when your browsing the recordings directory, highlight what you want to delete then press the center joystick down and the A/B button on the bottom right at the same time, this will bring you to a menu where the option to delete is.
mics & cameras

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 10:34:16 PM »
it only needs a little space, now did the 6 gigs show when looking at it on the computer or looking at it through the rockbox info selection...
mics & cameras

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 10:37:53 PM »
The following link will always take to to the most recent stable verion of Rockbox with the recording enhancement pack.  It is the build with the REP that the author of the REP is running.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martin.scarratt/Rockbox/rockbox.zip

Even if you don't run the REP I would suggest upgrading... There have been alot of improvements/fixes since pre optical builds.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 10:45:36 PM »
Really stoopid question:  how do you delete them directly from the iriver? I've always done it when it's connected to the puter...

good question!  I didn;t know but i just experimented

when your browsing the recordings directory, highlight what you want to delete then press the center joystick down and the A/B button on the bottom right at the same time, this will bring you to a menu where the option to delete is.

Or, just highlight the track and push down the joystick for a couple of seconds and the menu will come up.

Also, I like to format my h140 using the iRiver firmware instead of windows.  Get the most recent iRiver firmware (1.66) and go to menu>general> format>yes.  iRiver added the format option to their firmware due to problems when trying to format h140's via windows.  (May not even be an issue with the h120's)
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 10:50:12 PM »
it only needs a little space, now did the 6 gigs show when looking at it on the computer or looking at it through the rockbox info selection...

Through explorer...

Am now putting eveything into a folder on the desktop and will run the quick format as y ou suggested.  It's never had one, so probably a good idea just as far as "housekeeping". Sure hope it stabilisis it - I LOVE being able to use the iriver for all my recording (to the point I'm considering selling my jb3).
DPA4060
R09

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 10:51:38 PM »

Also, I like to format my h140 using the iRiver firmware instead of windows.  Get the most recent iRiver firmware (1.66) and go to menu>general> format>yes.  iRiver added the format option to their firmware due to problems when trying to format h140's via windows.  (May not even be an issue with the h120's)

Can you restore everything the way Sanjay described - ie copy it all to a safe place, then just copy it all back without having to reflash or reload RB?
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com