Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Iriver 120 with plenty of space shuts off due to "disk full"  (Read 7662 times)

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
Re: Iriver 120 with plenty of space shuts off due to "disk full"
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 11:31:01 PM »

Also, I like to format my h140 using the iRiver firmware instead of windows.  Get the most recent iRiver firmware (1.66) and go to menu>general> format>yes.  iRiver added the format option to their firmware due to problems when trying to format h140's via windows.  (May not even be an issue with the h120's)

Can you restore everything the way Sanjay described - ie copy it all to a safe place, then just copy it all back without having to reflash or reload RB?

Yes.  Bootloader stays on.  Just copy the daily build (2 files) your using to a safe place and put them back into the root directory after the format.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline petur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 03:44:22 AM »
hold your horses! No formatting needed!

The problem you're seeing is that when deleting files through the usb connection (windows/linux/mac/...), rockbox doesn't know about the freed space.
For speed reasons the disk isn't scanned on bootup, and rockbox thinks the clusters are still occupied. We're still looking for a way to get round this, maybe do a scan in the background or set a flag somewhere when we suspect a scan is needed.

To make rockbox rescan the drive:

go to Menu -> Info ->Rockbox Info and tap the play button.
You should see a Scanning disk message.

Sorry for the inconvenience this quirck causes

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 08:33:18 AM »

The problem you're seeing is that when deleting files through the usb connection (windows/linux/mac/...), rockbox doesn't know about the freed space.
For speed reasons the disk isn't scanned on bootup, and rockbox thinks the clusters are still occupied. We're still looking for a way to get round this, maybe do a scan in the background or set a flag somewhere when we suspect a scan is needed.

I didn't see a scanning disk message, but my battery life shot up a bit.  I'm using an older rockbox, dated early April.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 08:41:42 AM »
Are the I-Rivers prone to overheating like the JB3's.  Could I leave a I-river in a camera bag with the lid shut for a whole show without overheating?  How is the ADC in the I-River?  Good enough?
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »
Are the I-Rivers prone to overheating like the JB3's.  Could I leave a I-river in a camera bag with the lid shut for a whole show without overheating?  How is the ADC in the I-River?  Good enough?

I'd be surprised if the iriver would heat up. Not with the (low) levels of battery consumption anyway.
I always leave my h340 in a closed bag.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 09:21:37 AM »
I didn't see a scanning disk message, but my battery life shot up a bit.  I'm using an older rockbox, dated early April.
You need to press play once you're in the rockbox info screen. At least it's play on my h340, should be the same on an h1x0

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 10:11:33 AM »

No.

Yes.

Reasonable, but not brilliant (see shaggy's adc comparison here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=67816.0).

I think so.

As to the question that started this thread...I really should add it to the faq.  It has caught out quite a few people now (myself included). Edit: Added.

Petur's answer above nails it.

gloco: For older builds I think its still in the debug menu - drive info, free space, click joystick...but my memory might just be making that up.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:25:47 AM by whatboutbob »
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 10:42:55 AM »
Wow - I feel like I asked a reasonable question now!!     :D  Thanks for adding to the FAQ (and thanks for doing the FAQ in the first place! +t)

As to the overheating question:  now that I'm using it as my "set and go" recorder, it's sometimes running for 3hrs at a stretch in a closed bag (handbag I use as a gear bag) and as yet hasn't heated up enough to shut down. In fact, yesterday was the only recording issue I've had with it since some teething problems when I first installed rockbox.  I'd say that the heating/long run time issue is far less a problem than with the JB3, at least in my experience so far.

Agree with the assessment on the pre - it's entirely serviceable, if not brilliant. Warmer than the Reactive I use with the JB3.   Sorry - you said ADC rather than pre. (need more coffee).  Didn't I read somewhere once that the iRiver and JB3 actually use the same ADC circuitry?

HTH.

And thanks again to all who have responded in this thread - I record full length shows (eg operas) and then have to delete them to make space for hte next one - I do this a lot,  so this is very very HELPFUL! 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:47:36 AM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »
I challenge ppl to overheat the iriver without an open flame (or a MT charging next to it).  I've run it in my pocket at an all day festival in >100 degree temps without a worry.

Didn't I read somewhere once that the iRiver and JB3 actually use the same ADC circuitry?

Yup, they do...but to my ears the JB3 sounds marginally better in the ADC comparison I mentioned above.  I guess there's more that goes into the ADC than just the chip...or I could just be hearing things.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:54:51 AM by whatboutbob »
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 11:57:40 AM »

Hmm.... nothing happened - no "disk scanning" msg. However, I am in an older build (I think it's from March - 060323-2116) so maybe it's time to switch it. THAT SAID, when I first loaded RB, I had problems with some of hte other allegedly "stable" builds - this seemed to be the only one I tried that didn't cauase me problems.  Which is a recommended build out there currently?  (Btw, the one I have has the REP I believe)
DPA4060
R09

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 12:03:55 PM »
is the H120 REP build ready for prime time??  a few posts on the forum speak of drop-outs??
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 12:07:06 PM »
Hmm.... nothing happened - no "disk scanning" msg. However, I am in an older build (I think it's from March - 060323-2116) so maybe it's time to switch it. THAT SAID, when I first loaded RB, I had problems with some of hte other allegedly "stable" builds - this seemed to be the only one I tried that didn't cauase me problems.  Which is a recommended build out there currently?  (Btw, the one I have has the REP I believe)

There's a relativly recent REP version available in the rockbox forum
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=2513.0

The current versions are quite stable now, recording analog will give you more battery life than the version you have now.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 01:58:42 PM »
The message still didn't pop up for me petur.  But its ok, I think it's about time i upgrade the firmware to a newer rockbox version. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 02:01:19 PM »
What exactly is in the REP that's beneficial to a taper going line-in from a mic preamp?

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 02:14:24 PM »
What exactly is in the REP that's beneficial to a taper going line-in from a mic preamp?

It's explained on the first page of the thread I linked to. In short it's:
- bigger fonts
- AGC (multi-mode, I use it as safety net to lower gain if the signal gets too hot)
- extra button mappings to reach the recording screen quicker
- more filesplitting options and buttonmappings
(the list gets smaller as more stuff makes it into the official build)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com