Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP!! My Iriver has died...  (Read 7603 times)

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
Re: HELP!! My Iriver has died...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 11:08:01 PM »
ebay:

[440] Is it possible to upgrade or replace the hard drive?

Much of the following hdd replacement info has been lifted from NPSwimDude500’s FAQ over at misticriver (http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?p=330700#post330700)

Yes.

Hx20: uses a single platter 1.8" 20 gigabyte hard drive manufactured by Toshiba. The model name on these drives may read MK2004GAL or MK2006GAL (the 4 and 6 designate model years, and there is no known difference other than the number). Toshiba currently manufactures two other single-platter drives with the same dimensions, the 30 gigabyte MK3006GAL drive and the 40 gigabyte MK4007GAL drive which uses new PMR technology (note: it has not been officially released yet). Hx20s can both be fitted with these drives without modification.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 11:30:37 PM »
ebay:

[440] Is it possible to upgrade or replace the hard drive?

Much of the following hdd replacement info has been lifted from NPSwimDude500’s FAQ over at misticriver (http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?p=330700#post330700)

Yes.

Hx20: uses a single platter 1.8" 20 gigabyte hard drive manufactured by Toshiba. The model name on these drives may read MK2004GAL or MK2006GAL (the 4 and 6 designate model years, and there is no known difference other than the number). Toshiba currently manufactures two other single-platter drives with the same dimensions, the 30 gigabyte MK3006GAL drive and the 40 gigabyte MK4007GAL drive which uses new PMR technology (note: it has not been officially released yet). Hx20s can both be fitted with these drives without modification.

Many thanks for the information, +t

I've managed to get my HHD partition that has no bad sectors to boot up and record on. I'm gonna record across the whole 6gb tomorrow and see if I can get it off via USB without errors.

If that works, I'm happy to use it for the time being until I can afford a new disk (hopefully in 1-2months).

Cheers,
Simon.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 08:32:05 AM »
I've managed to get my HHD partition that has no bad sectors to boot up and record on. I'm gonna record across the whole 6gb tomorrow and see if I can get it off via USB without errors.

If that works, I'm happy to use it for the time being until I can afford a new disk (hopefully in 1-2months).

Cheers,
Simon.

If that works, I would try to do the same thing with the partition that had fixed errors (:H).  If :H checked out fine, you could combine those 2 partitions and have approx. 14 gig worth of good sectors to use.  Just a thought.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 09:44:29 AM »
If that works, I would try to do the same thing with the partition that had fixed errors (:H).  If :H checked out fine, you could combine those 2 partitions and have approx. 14 gig worth of good sectors to use.  Just a thought.

Rockbox only supports one partition out of the box. There are provisions for multi-volume but they are not enabled by default. So you would need to build your own version. Furthermore, this scenario has never been tested....

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »

Rockbox only supports one partition out of the box. There are provisions for multi-volume but they are not enabled by default. So you would need to build your own version. Furthermore, this scenario has never been tested....

Yea, its cool.

The 6gb is more than enough for me. I was recording today (well testing) and I have 10 hours recording time with that 6gb. I recorded 4 hours so far and still have 60% battery life which I a great thing.

1 question though: Every few mins, the HHD light would come on. I'm guessing its buffing or saving as it goes along?? I have yet to check for errors (transfer, etc), but it recorded smoothly and plays back fine.

Thanks for the help everyone, +t's all round.

Simon.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 03:19:52 PM »
yes, that red light is the buffer flushing to disk

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
yes, that red light is the buffer flushing to disk

Thanks for the confirmation.  :)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 04:26:05 PM »
... well to be 100% correct, the red light is disk activity, which means buffer flushing ...

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »
... well to be 100% correct, the red light is disk activity, which means buffer flushing ...

Thats a good/normal thing? (I hope)....
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 09:35:33 PM »
Thats a good/normal thing? (I hope)....

yup.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 11:55:53 PM »

He currently has 3 partitions, but Rockbox can only write to 1.  What I'm suggesting is combining 2 of the 3 partitions (the 2 good ones via re-partitioning) so that there becomes a total of 2, and let Rockbox write to the good one that does not have bad sectors.  Is that not feasible?
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 12:59:21 PM »
He currently has 3 partitions, but Rockbox can only write to 1.  What I'm suggesting is combining 2 of the 3 partitions (the 2 good ones via re-partitioning) so that there becomes a total of 2, and let Rockbox write to the good one that does not have bad sectors.  Is that not feasible?
I really should have to look at the code, but iirc Rockbox will try to use the first FAT partition it encounters. And partitions are in one piece, so no gaps in the middle ;)

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 01:59:43 PM »
I really should have to look at the code, but iirc Rockbox will try to use the first FAT partition it encounters. And partitions are in one piece, so no gaps in the middle ;)

I was assuming that if you had 2 partitions on a drive and 1 had bad sectors, you would treat the partition that you wanted to access via Rockbox as the 'root folder' and place the rockbox folder & bootloader in there.  I haven't ever tried to isolate bad sectors by partitioning though, so I don't know.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 05:21:39 AM »

I was assuming that if you had 2 partitions on a drive and 1 had bad sectors, you would treat the partition that you wanted to access via Rockbox as the 'root folder' and place the rockbox folder & bootloader in there.  I haven't ever tried to isolate bad sectors by partitioning though, so I don't know.

Thats what I did. After partitioning into 3 parts, the drive that tested 100% I put as the ROOT and dumped all Rockbox stuff on it.

When booted up, It loaded up that partition perfectly fine. I can only access the other partitions via the PC USB, but if I wanted, I could boot it off another partition my changing the ROOT and where I dump the Rockbox files.

I could also easily combine the 2 'good' partitions to 1 and boot from that, but I'm more than happy with the 6gb and 10 hour recording time.

:)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com