Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thoughts on recorders to run out of a V3  (Read 7752 times)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
Re: Thoughts on recorders to run out of a V3
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 11:17:04 PM »
Well, I guess robust was a poor choice of words...What I want is a reliable bit bucket/recorder.

You could pickup a used pocket pc and a PDAudio card.

There is a used setup on Yard Sale right now for $275.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 11:37:27 PM »
...granted, with the amount of $ I would have invested, I could dump the V3, and just go the 7XX route...maybe I will end up doing that...but I want to play with the V3 for now..

I guess this isn't what you want to do now, but if this was one of the options, a 702 is what I'd go for.  Sell the V3 for $950 or so, add $800 or so (which is within the $700 to $1000 you said you were looking to invest) and you'd be so very happy with a 702.  This is just such a fine piece of equipment.

Bean'll tell you how he likes the 483's directy into his 722  ;) and there's no shortage of samples on the archive to listen to.  OTOH, the 702 is gonna give you a little different sound than the V3, so if the V3 is what you're in love with, this of course wouldn't be the best option...although you could do what I'm doing now...now that I've got my dream recorder which also provide a damn high quality set of preamps, I'm saving for my perfect sounding external preamp.  That will give me some options in the future.

Offline CTDave

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 11:40:49 AM »
...granted, with the amount of $ I would have invested, I could dump the V3, and just go the 7XX route...maybe I will end up doing that...but I want to play with the V3 for now..

I guess this isn't what you want to do now, but if this was one of the options, a 702 is what I'd go for.  Sell the V3 for $950 or so, add $800 or so (which is within the $700 to $1000 you said you were looking to invest) and you'd be so very happy with a 702.  This is just such a fine piece of equipment.

Bean'll tell you how he likes the 483's directy into his 722  ;) and there's no shortage of samples on the archive to listen to.  OTOH, the 702 is gonna give you a little different sound than the V3, so if the V3 is what you're in love with, this of course wouldn't be the best option...although you could do what I'm doing now...now that I've got my dream recorder which also provide a damn high quality set of preamps, I'm saving for my perfect sounding external preamp.  That will give me some options in the future.
Dream recorder? What are you running?
AKG C480b ck61/ck63 > Bumblebee Miagi-II cables > Grace Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-4

AT853RX > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > JB3

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 07:37:16 PM »
Sony PCM-D50.  Has Optical In, just like the JB3.  Price shipped $455 - $499, depending on vendor.  1/3 the size of the Tascam P2 and Marantz 671.  This recorder has only been out a couple of weeks, so not much feedback.  Check the D50 thread.  We'll be updating over the next few weeks as shows come in.  This recorder could be a no-brainer as far as a new bit-bucket champ.     

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 07:45:33 PM »
Sony PCM-D50.  Has Optical In, just like the JB3.  Price shipped $455 - $499, depending on vendor.  1/3 the size of the Tascam P2 and Marantz 671.  This recorder has only been out a couple of weeks, so not much feedback.  Check the D50 thread.  We'll be updating over the next few weeks as shows come in.  This recorder could be a no-brainer as far as a new bit-bucket champ.     

why would the Sony PCM-D50 be a no brainer over the MTII?
I would trust the coax input of the MTII over the optical mini input of the D50.  thoughts?

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 08:02:31 PM »

Dream recorder? What are you running?

I'm running km140's into a SD702.  You're getting lots of suggestions here and I suppose my suggestion is a little out in left field for what you're asking.  However, I was in the same place as you are right now...I spent a year messing around with all of the following which I've literally owned and run within the last 12 months...Sony Hi-MD, R-09, JB3, MT2496, PMD660, FR2LE.  What I found was that they all left me wanting more...either the features didn't cut it for me, or after I decided I wanted an all-in-one box, the lure of the SD product kept me unsatisfied.  So, I just kept upgrading until I finally got what I really wanted in the first place, which was the Sound Devices 702.  I absolutely love it because a) it is built to survive nuclear war...all metal construction b) it has a feature set that is absolutely first class and second to nobody c) the SD products are continuously upgraded by SD through firmware improvements which includes enhancements, not just bug fixes d) the preamps sound great...not perfect but great meaning that you don't need to send the box out for additional mod in order to get a great sound, e) it's fairly small and compact f) it's sexy as hell with all the lights and gadgets.  If I weren't going to stick with this box, my next favorite hands down was the Fostex.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 11:03:31 PM »
well, fortunately, you have LOTS of options......

Steve covered what id say to a tee ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline CTDave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »

+T 
I went to see The Word last night in Hartford. There were over 15 tapers there, with just about anything you could record on to except the MII and the new Sony, and I have to say, what he/Steve says rings true with me...the SD units have a certain magnetic attraction to them...The one being run near me FOB sparked that flame again, which I hadn't felt since I had a 7XX running next to me at GOTV..for now, I think I'm going to continue with the JB3, and keep saving, unless I see a cheap R4 come through the yard. Thanks to all for your views.

Dave
AKG C480b ck61/ck63 > Bumblebee Miagi-II cables > Grace Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-4

AT853RX > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > JB3

Offline anhisr

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 03:20:04 PM »
seems the D50 is having problems with 24/96

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,96097.0.html
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 04:44:01 PM »

why would the Sony PCM-D50 be a no brainer over the MTII?
I would trust the coax input of the MTII over the optical mini input of the D50.  thoughts?

Sony vs M-Audio.  Who do you trust your money with?  D50 is a well constructed beast.  Doesn't feel or operate like a Fisher Price Toy like the MT, R09, or Zoom.  Been waiting for a small, solid built, bit-bucket, with a good AD, that runs on AA rechargeables, ..... for a long time.  I'm going with Sony.

I expect the 24 bit digital problem to be cleaned up in the 1Q of '08 firmware update.  Sony obviously rushed the D50 out in time to catch the Xmas crunch.       

stevetoney

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 09:55:57 PM »

+T 
I went to see The Word last night in Hartford. There were over 15 tapers there, with just about anything you could record on to except the MII and the new Sony, and I have to say, what he/Steve says rings true with me...the SD units have a certain magnetic attraction to them...The one being run near me FOB sparked that flame again, which I hadn't felt since I had a 7XX running next to me at GOTV..for now, I think I'm going to continue with the JB3, and keep saving, unless I see a cheap R4 come through the yard. Thanks to all for your views.

Dave
;D  You made a good decision.  Once you save up and get either a 702/722 or even a 744, you'll be happy you did.  I promise.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 01:05:47 PM »
There have been a few comps here where v3 > r09 was preferred by most over the v3's internal a/d (going into a microtrack).  Those results are surprising but they are what they are...

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 03:01:55 PM »
There have been a few comps here where v3 > r09 was preferred by most over the v3's internal a/d (going into a microtrack).  Those results are surprising but they are what they are...

I'm totally happy with V3 @ 24/48 spdif > Microtracker.

The MT does feel like a toy and it flops around in my Sonicase but it works.

I don't know why (other than personal taste or bandwagoning) people don't like the V3 A/D.
The onboard ANSR dither does not sound as good as it does at 24 bit.

My .02
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline anhisr

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2007, 03:57:09 PM »
I found through the years that certain preamps and microphones make better combinations.   How we like sound of each combination is a personal thing.  I make recordings that sound good to me and if anybody else likes it great.  If not, oh well, hope somebody else's recording from that night suits your ears better.   

The MT II does feel a little less like a toy than MT I but, it serves my needs perfectly.  It is small and light and fits in my bag perfectly.  I don't need built in microphones.  I would rather run coax than optical.  I think that coax can handle the bending that goes on while at the show and while packing and unpacking better.   

Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline RDunn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2007, 10:49:09 PM »
marantz pmd 671.

I've been using a stock 671 for a little over 2 years (coming out of a V3) and it's worked flawlessly.

Robbie
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com