Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 125460 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »
Just for the sake of conversation, I'm curious if anyone has approached Doug Oade about potentially modding the F8? 

The F8 price is more than attractive.  The review of the F8 preamps are the sticking point for me.  If I'm going to leave the Neve Portico 5012, the Grace V3's, the FiveFish TS-2's or the sd722 at home I want the F8 preamps to perform on on a higher level.  I am well aware that "you can't always get what you want".  If that wasn't the reality of the situation I'd be rocking a sd788 and not looking back.

No flames please.  As I said, just for the sake of conversation. 

Do I like a bargain?  You betcha...

;)

Send a PM to Wifijeff and ask if he can share a sample of his classical piano recordings.  After hearing what the F8 preamps can do with a pair of Josephson omnis, I don't see much of any room for improvement.  Not flaming, just one man's opinion (who owns a modded recorder).
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2016, 10:31:12 AM »
Yes, but unfortunately it's one of the shortcuts, so I don't know if you'd want to try using it.  Stop Button + 5 key at the same time.

Ouch! Just tried that 5 times and couldn't get it to work without stopping recording. ;(

Guess I'll write Zoom a nice e-mail proposing a better way to reset the clip light.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2016, 10:43:45 AM »
^^
I hear you Voltronic.  I physically can't haul 50+ lbs of gear, batteries and a mic stand around anymore but I am reluctant to compromise on the pre's and not have the digi-in option.  But that is my problem to deal with and I realize that.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Online voltronic

« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2016, 11:59:15 AM »
^^
I hear you Voltronic.  I physically can't haul 50+ lbs of gear, batteries and a mic stand around anymore but I am reluctant to compromise on the pre's and not have the digi-in option.  But that is my problem to deal with and I realize that.

Well based on what I heard, you wouldn't be making much or any compromise on that respect.  To my ears, the pres are as good as Sound Devices 7-series.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2016, 12:31:36 PM »
^^

Well based on what I heard, you wouldn't be making much or any compromise on that respect.  To my ears, the pres are as good as Sound Devices 7-series.

^ I think this is about right...at least with respect to the earlier SD units.  I did some pretty good a/b when I first got F8 and my opinion was that the internals are solid.  External pre's such as PSP3 and VMS52 and VMS32 still sound a little bit better to me, but it's one of those things where if you listen to one sample and then come back 10 minutes later and listen to the other, I don't think you're going to perceive the difference.  The Oade m118 (which is the 18V version of the M148) is pretty close. 

David, if I had to guess, I'd guess that the F8 preamps sit between your portico and the older version of the Sound Devices.  The sound is warmer and less brittle than the SD sound, yet without a hint of muddiness or breakup.  The detail is still there.  I understand that the 788 has improved preamps though so I can't really say about that comparison.

What's interesting to me about your comment is that I haven't read any on-line reviews that haven't given the internal preamps other than F8 sparkling reviews.  I kinda thought my own feeling that they are quite good, but not sparkling kinda put me in an opinion by myself.  Admittedly, I'm REALLY picky about my sound.  So, I'm curious if your comment above is based on my review comments or have you read someone else's opinion that preamps aren't the sh**?

Oh and to add...I personally haven't inquired about mods.  I'm an external preamp nut and don't see myself changing until I find an all-in-one that i think sounds as good as my vintage VMSs (which could well be a SX-R4+ or 788 or 4MINx but I'm not spending that much).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:20:05 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »
^
Thanks for weighing in.  My comments were referring to your comments on the F8 preamps in your comprehensive review.  Thanks for that detailed review by the way.  Excellent job!!  Online reviews by people that I don't know or that don't do what we do really don't mean that much to me.

I know that you are a discriminating listener and a critical reviewer of gear.  I do appreciate that!!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Online voltronic

« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
^ ^ TD, my comments were based solely on the samples wifijeff sent me of his recordings of solo piano using a pair of Josephson C617s straight into the F8.  Quiet hall, solo piano, and I'm a pianist so something I can really be critical about with the sound.  I've never had my hands on an F8 in person, but I have I feeling that I will eventually. ;)
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »
Finally getting around to posting some pics of my Zoom 8 with custom cables.  Various chopped 1/4" connectors and a right angle Hirose.  Hit me up if you are looking for something similar.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »
Various chopped 1/4" connectors and a right angle Hirose.

Where did you find the right angle Hirose? Or is that a custom thing?

Online voltronic

« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »

Ted is one of our excellent custom cable builders here.  Many of us here have all of our cables custom made by him or Robb (Darktrain).
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=131680.0
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
Ted is one of our excellent custom cable builders here.  Many of us here have all of our cables custom made by him or Robb (Darktrain).

I know. Just haven't seen the right angle Hirose connector before.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »

Audio Root in France: http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/321141987192
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline scorsesefan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2016, 08:43:31 PM »
I'm assuming most people are engaging the limiters on their F8. If so, could you share your settings i.e. threshold, attack time, etc. I know this will vary depending on what you're recording, but some general suggestions would be appreciated...

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2016, 08:46:36 PM »
I'm assuming most people are engaging the limiters on their F8. If so, could you share your settings i.e. threshold, attack time, etc. I know this will vary depending on what you're recording, but some general suggestions would be appreciated...
I never use limiters. I have found I often don't like how they limit.
However I'd also  be interested in hearing what settings others may use.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2016, 08:53:44 PM »
I never use limiters. I have found I often don't like how they limit.
However I'd also  be interested in hearing what settings others may use.

Same here.  I just don't need them because I always keep my levels peaking conservatively low.

In a very small sample size, I played around with the limiters using the default settings and they seemed to work well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com