Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG414XLS Subcards split 36"  (Read 3550 times)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
AKG414XLS Subcards split 36"
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:07:02 PM »
Ran outdoors for PBS last night. It was really windy and my mic stand was a rockin, but overall was happy with the recording. Ran AKG414XLS Subcards split 36", DFC, ~50' from stage. Mics were aimed right to the outside of the stacks. Sample here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/7z0nsr

Thoughts and suggestions please.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
Re: AKG414XLS Subcards split 36"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »
Damn, that's fine.  I've been itching to do a similar split with the subs, and now I've got no fears.  I've got a great venue in mind for this, too.  I ran Los Lobos split omnis there a few years back but the recording needed a bit more "grab" than the omnis gave with the moderate spl's in the venue (MN Zoo Weesner Amphitheater).  The subs should punch it up just fine!  Nice separation with "full" sound in this recording, Louie.   :)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:33:43 PM »
Damn, that's fine.  I've been itching to do a similar split with the subs, and now I've got no fears.  I've got a great venue in mind for this, too.  I ran Los Lobos split omnis there a few years back but the recording needed a bit more "grab" than the omnis gave with the moderate spl's in the venue (MN Zoo Weesner Amphitheater).  The subs should punch it up just fine!  Nice separation with "full" sound in this recording, Louie.   :)

split subs running outdoors. I don't think that  I would exceed 36". The soundstage is HUGE.

Offline crackmc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nein dispatch says zer is problem mit deine kable
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:07:19 PM »
hmm...i'll be running a pair of 414/XLS outdoors tomorrow for Lobos (first time flying the 414s, actually). i'll be setting up at the SBD, but i don't know how far i'll be from the stage. i've been trying to decide if i should split them on separate stands (subs, similar to NOLAfishwater's description above), or if i should run them on the same stand Healy-style (omni). any suggestions?

i may still fly my 480/61s in a more 'conventional' configuration as a backup, too.
you'll love it
it's a way of life

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:44:59 PM »
It's really hard to comment on the technique because of the wind.  The image is in constant flux moving from far right to closer back to center as it goes on. There are also small changes in depth. This phenomenon can be heard by the ear in windy situations so i can't tell you if what I'm hearing is an accurate recording of what was going on in that space or an exaggerated phase shift caused by the technique.  I like the feel of the low end and the overall size of the soundstage when it stabilizes a bit but the high frequencies are a wash and the motion makes me a bit seasick.  I definitely think it's worth trying again in a more controlled environment.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:51:32 PM »
hmm...i'll be running a pair of 414/XLS outdoors tomorrow for Lobos (first time flying the 414s, actually). i'll be setting up at the SBD, but i don't know how far i'll be from the stage. i've been trying to decide if i should split them on separate stands (subs, similar to NOLAfishwater's description above), or if i should run them on the same stand Healy-style (omni). any suggestions?

i may still fly my 480/61s in a more 'conventional' configuration as a backup, too.

Split Omni's would be a nice first shot at it if you ask me. A smaller split will give you nice results without too much worry about phasing.  The space between the mics controls the frequency at which you're attempting to capture directionality. I would stay under about 2' personally though there are fans of much larger spacing out there.

J.T.L

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:36:09 PM »
...though there are fans of much larger spacing out there.

Subcards spaced 11', 25'-35' from the stage...

http://www.archive.org/details/outformation2007-05-24.hometeam.flac16

...though they are not 414's and it's indoor.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:38:51 PM by J.T.L »

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 09:44:37 PM »

See!   :yack:

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:07:12 PM »

See!   :yack:

Piling on, here's my zpz from 10klf last summer.  HO omnis split 9'    >:D

edit:   oops, perhaps I should add the link?!?!   ;D
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508681&dllist=1
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:24:38 PM by deanlambrecht »
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline crackmc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:23:03 PM »
thanks for the suggestions, dewdes

[sorry to hijack your thread, NOLAfishwater  ;D]

you'll love it
it's a way of life

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 12:08:07 AM »
It's really hard to comment on the technique because of the wind.  The image is in constant flux moving from far right to closer back to center as it goes on. There are also small changes in depth. This phenomenon can be heard by the ear in windy situations so i can't tell you if what I'm hearing is an accurate recording of what was going on in that space or an exaggerated phase shift caused by the technique.  I like the feel of the low end and the overall size of the soundstage when it stabilizes a bit but the high frequencies are a wash and the motion makes me a bit seasick.  I definitely think it's worth trying again in a more controlled environment.

It was super windy and that is probably what gave me all the problems. Maybe next time I will just try splitting them 1' and see how that sounds. I have run the 414's omni outdoors with excellent results. However, if the crowd had been pretty thick, I don't think my recording would have sounded that great.  The low end pick up is tremendous with the omni setting. Also, omnis are more forgiving when it comes to wind noise and shifting due to high winds.

Offline crackmc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 12:43:45 AM »
i expect it to be very windy tomorrow (show is on the SF Bay, on one of the piers)...i'll probably split them on the same stand/omni.

NOLA: seriously, man...by creating this thread, you've helped me decide how i'm going to set up tomorrow. thanks!!!
you'll love it
it's a way of life

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »
i did a 482 split at panic in raleigh.   i think it was approx 30ft or so in the 10th row.  i meant to count out the seats after the show but forgot.  too slack to get it tracked out and burned yet but it sounded great on headhphones from the deck.
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

RebelRebel

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 06:04:39 PM »
I never have luck with too large splits. Huge hole in the middle, and it sounds unnatural. I tend to not split any farther than the group is wide, and if it is wide at all, I put another in the middle about 10-15 db down.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
I never have luck with too large splits. Huge hole in the middle, and it sounds unnatural. I tend to not split any farther than the group is wide, and if it is wide at all, I put another in the middle about 10-15 db down.

hmmmm. sounds interesting. maybe will have to try that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com