Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advantages/disadvantages of LD mics?  (Read 8584 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Advantages/disadvantages of LD mics?
« on: September 24, 2009, 12:57:21 PM »
I have eyed the various AKG 414's on sale in the YS.  Great sounding mics from the shows I've heard with them, and I love the switchable patterns.

Most folks on here use small diaphragm mics, though, rather than mics like these, and I am curious why.  LD mics are larger and obviously they cannot be stealthed or self-mounted (other than one crazy example I read here once), but are there are other reasons to consider or avoid LD mics?

I don't always run open, so that would be a negative consideration for me, but I could possibly convince myself I needed both LD and SD mics, maybe.  It seems to me that LD mics pick up vocals better, for one.   Do they distort more easily or anything like that? 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Advantages/disadvantages of LD mics?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:11:50 PM »
Generalities (that I've heard across a number of LDs):

- the diaphragm is bigger, so the resonance (if it's circular which not all) is lower.
- often they appear to have a warmer/colored bottom and bottom/midrange
- sometimes they have a spike around 10k for intelligibility in speech.
- They often are more directional in the top end then in the bottom, so your angle is much more critical and can act as a normal EQ if you get good at it.

I read on DPA's site about LDs once and it seems that they are more sensitive to tiny noises (faint/distant/etc) then SDs which absorb those sounds due to the stiffer diaphragm. I can't find the chart though now.

Different strokes for different folks, or pick the right tool for the right job. I love my LD, but I also now have a set of small SDs.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:33:29 PM »
the only downsides I can think of with LDs is size/weight.
the 414s were my preferred mics when I had them.

I prefer the bass response of LDs over SDs

the water's clean and innocent

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »
multiple patterns were nice when I owned 414s (Fig 8 for Blumlein especially)
great for close mic-ing (subcard)
can be had reasonably priced here and on ebay
good resale value

not so great for making room recordings of PAs like alot of us here do
I did not like the bass response myself... I used the 40 hZ cut alot
way too big when you throw in the shock mounts and windscreens

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 01:50:09 PM »
SD typically more detailed

LD's are typically designed to use with vocals so they typically roll off on the very highend (above 15K or so) and sometimes on the low end.

LD's offer more patterns for the price but are larger.

SD's are more flexible in usage if you want to spend more money (i.e. active cables, lo-pro usage, same caps can be used for tube bodies/fet bodies/Digital bodies/no bodies (i.e. schoeps))

I was original torn between a pair of Gefel UM900's and Schoeps m222's back when I bought my first set of mics and went with the m222's due to there flexibility (i.e. low pro, can run fet bodies, etc) and the fact that the UM900's rolled off heavy on the lowend and highend.  I have never regretted my decision.

If your taping open all the time, don't care about FOB(in some cases), and want to play around with alot of patterns, the 414's is a good starting point.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:54:46 PM by H20 »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 01:56:06 PM »

why did you find them not good for room/PA recordings? I found them fantastic - depending on room acoustics and FOH mixing.
I found M/S with the subcard to be my fav pattern with them.

for the music I recorded if I ran a HPF, even at 40Hz, I would be loosing actual music!

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 02:50:14 PM »

why did you find them not good for room/PA recordings? I found them fantastic - depending on room acoustics and FOH mixing.

for the music I recorded if I ran a HPF, even at 40Hz, I would be loosing actual music!

well nic...
maybe the shows you attend must have the most pristine acoustics
and the best FOH that ever walked the Earth
unfortunately the ones myself and most people I know, DON'T 

I record music that I listen to on MY stereo.. no music LOST on MY recordings

I sold my 414s after 3 years and never plan on going back due to the disadvantages that I listed
as a matter of fact I have owned my 451s for nearly 20 years now
and use the 460s in situations I might have used the 414s

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »

well nic...
maybe the shows you attend must have the most pristine acoustics
and the best FOH that ever walked the Earth
unfortunately the ones myself and most people I know, DON'T 

I record music that I listen to on MY stereo.. no music LOST on MY recordings

I sold my 414s after 3 years and never plan on going back due to the disadvantages that I listed
as a matter of fact I have owned my 451s for nearly 20 years now
and use the 460s in situations I might have used the 414s

hey now, no need to be condescending...
a shitty room/mix is a shitty room/mix, no matter what gear you are using! no where did I state that I had that good fortune of that hapening on even the majority of my recording chances. what I'm saying is that if given a good sounding room and mix, I found the LDs to give me a better pull than SDs. that is all.

I should have stated that I tend to record more electronic style music in my reference to losing music when using a HPF. a bass guitar or kick drum cant create a big fat 30Hz tone! with a typical rock band, any information down that low on the Hz scale is typically room ambience or AC rumbling, etc...not music.

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »
mshilarious has detailed the basic issues well.  the only other thing i would mention is coloration - LDCs tend to have a more colored sound than SDCs, due to the differences in transient response and off axis response mentioned above.  for loud rock venues, LDCs seem to do a perfectly fine job, and the multiple patterns available on LDCS, such as the 414s and AT4050s and others, offer nice control to compensate for your location in regard to the sound source.  typically, those trying to capture more subtle acoustic music will prefer SDCs due to better transient response and off axis characteristics.

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 09:17:50 PM »
I also agree that mshilarious has provided the best response to this question.  I particularly agree with the comments about transient response and what that contributes to the end result.  I also agree with the comment that it's not necessarily correct to generalize that LDs provide any specific frequency response or have any specific character versus SD mics...LDs vary in character across the board just as SD mics to. 

What I would particularly agree with though is that, due to the sum total of the characteristics that mshilarious pointed out, my experiences were that I got less consistent results with LD mics than I get with SD mics and that was a bit frustrating. 

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »
Honestly, almost everything MSH said went over the top of my head.  Laugh at me if you want, but I don't care...

I look at it from a utilitarian sense:  I love the functionality and sound of my ADK TLs, but hate the size.  But I can't find an SD mic that I like that has the options that my ADK TLs have, at least in the same price range.  I'd love to get AKGs, but to get the 4x patterns, I'd be spending a ton on capsules...

But I'm just a jackass, so what do I know...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 10:10:06 PM »
I look at it from a utilitarian sense:  I love the functionality and sound of my ADK TLs, but hate the size.

What I would particularly agree with though is that, due to the sum total of the characteristics that mshilarious pointed out, my experiences were that I got less consistent results with LD mics than I get with SD mics and that was a bit frustrating.

I agree with both of these. It can be a real challenge to milk a great tape out of my LD, but, when I do, I looove the end result because of the coloring that is unique to that LD.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 10:12:20 PM »
Hi. I posted in this thread during a time when my day job had me in a state of great anxiety, and my focus here was lousy. Begging the forum's pardon, I'm rewriting some of my old messages.

Every condenser microphone has an amplifier circuit, and every amplifier circuit has some inherent noise. The one and only possible technical advantage of a larger diaphragm is--all other things being equal--greater capacitance, which means a greater ability to shunt (i.e. reduce) the input noise of whatever active device (tube, FET) comes first in the circuit. This is why the first commercially available condenser microphones for studios back in the late 1920s were large-diaphragm: All active circuitry was tube back then, and low-noise tubes hadn't been invented yet.

Now, in reality that all-important "all other things being equal" proviso can't be relied upon at all. A microphone with a large-diaphragm capsule may be no quieter than any given small-diaphragm microphone that you might be considering; it may even be noisier. For a number of reasons (cost being a big one) most microphones aren't as quiet as they could be, and the amount of extra noise they each have is a real variable. The world's quietest microphones are large-diaphragm, but the quietest small-diaphragm microphones are quieter than many large-diaphragm microphones.

The thing is, for most people who do live recording, the noise levels of the venues where we record exceed the inherent noise levels of our microphones significantly, so we never hear the noise of the microphones. Thus the one technical advantage that a large-diaphragm microphone could have doesn't matter audibly to us, even if that potential is fully realized.

Before I leave the topic of noise, I have to say that the spec-sheet comparisons that we can make as consumers are fundamentally unreliable. This is a widely recognized problem within the industry. A-weighted rms figures are worse than useless; don't even bother looking at them.

But even the best manufacturers don't measure microphone noise the same way. A few years ago, a working group of the AES sent a set of a dozen microphones around to various manufacturers (including Neumann, Schoeps, AKG, DPA, AudioTechnica and others), and asked them each to measure them and report on what they found. The noise measurements varied by up to 6 dB for the same individual microphones. Those were the results that the most honest, serious manufacturers got with the best equipment and procedures, while all the other manufacturers on the committee were watching and comparing the outcomes. And there certainly are manufacturers whose marketing departments aren't as scrupulous as these engineers were.

--best regards

P.S.: I also have to say that all other supposed advantages that are claimed for large-diaphragm microphones, in this thread or elsewhere, are either illusory or just plain wrong. The prime example of that is their (supposedly) better bass response. I'll get to that in another message, though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:25:15 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

kirk97132

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 01:27:37 PM »
Here's a transcription of a old but loved topic from another board, technical but not too technical.  And DSatz even wrote some of it!

http://www.itrstudio.com/MIC_CHAT.PDF

THanks for that.

And, a big thank you to yourself, Mr. Satz and all the others like you who have knowledge lightyears beyond mine and freely share it. 

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »
Similarly there are so many customers nowadays who expect a large-diaphragm construction to bring "individual character" to the sound that there is little economic incentive to produce a large-diaphragm microphone that is as sonically neutral as possible. Thus in an almost post-modern way, the beliefs and expectations of the average customer tend to become self-fulfilling in many cases, which in turn fuels those beliefs, and so on. That's probably not so good for the sound quality of recorded music in the long run.

--best regards

Speaking of this, I have used for several years (up to and including last night) Josephson C617 omnis with the LD Gefell caps.  I find these detailed and accurate, but your point is well taken as I have never seen anyone else using them.  (I am also big on the AKG C426B stereo mic in Blumlein configuration).

Jeff

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com