Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice needed on XY-stacktaping  (Read 6612 times)

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
Advice needed on XY-stacktaping
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
Hi,

I need some advice on how to position the mics when stacktaping.
Tapersposition will be on a balcony, distance around 5m in front of left PA).

I would like to try XY, but I have 2 options, see pictures.

One option is two mics facing eachother on the same level (bit more easier to accomplish (st$%lth).

Second option is the 'true' XY position, which is a bit more hassle.

What would - soundwise - be the best option, or would it not make any real difference?

Thanks in advance.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Advice needed on XY-stacktaping
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:08:47 AM »
Personally I don't think it makes much difference and when I did it, I did same level but with a little space
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
I always like the over/under approach.

I like to think of making the "X" with the mic diaphragms as reference.

The other approach always made it seem like the opposing mic was blocking sound...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
I don't see much sense in stack taping XY. I know people say to do this, but I don't find it does much.  I think you're better off going A-B and just splitting as far apart as you can so you get a little stereo image.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »
Nice looking mics. 
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:45:54 AM »
@ all, thanks for the replies.

I have taped here earlier with both mics about 10 cm apart facing forward (A-B) but to get the channels more balanced, I have plans to try XY.

I am in doubt wether or not putting the mics further apart (let say 30 cm) would be good. I might pick up some crowdnoise on the left (there are stairs) and again, channelbalance might be tricky.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »
In your equal-level picture, one mic blocks off a significant amount of sound intended for its partner mic.

There's also a small issue, though, with the arrival times: your intensity-based stereo image would contradict the image provided by the arrival-time differences. When spacing is used, the R-pointing mic needs to be closer to the R-stack than the L-pointing mic, thus ensuring that any signal from the R-stack will be stronger _and_ earlier in the R-pointing mic, thus preventing a clash between the intensity- and arrival time info. I expect you knew all that, but I thought it worthwhile restating.

And why is it such a hassle to get XY...just use one or two thread adaptors as spacers?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:34:32 AM by Tom McCreadie »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »

I have taped here earlier with both mics about 10 cm apart facing forward (A-B) but to get the channels more balanced, I have plans to try XY.

I am in doubt wether or not putting the mics further apart (let say 30 cm) would be good. I might pick up some crowdnoise on the left (there are stairs) and again, channelbalance might be tricky.
Right, and I'm going to say again - I don't think X-Y will solve that problem for you.  If anything, it might make it worse.  The theoretical ideas about XY do not, in my experience, translate all that well to recording a PA system in a venue.  I've tried it both ways a number of times to reach that conclusion.   To achieve the best channel balance, just go dead-on at the stack you're taping.  As to the split, I guess it really depends on the exact setup of where you are, but either way, I wouldn't do XY.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

runonce

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »

I can't imagine that adding some (and just a little) space between your mics will add to your crowd noise - and will do wonders for the sense of space.

For a stack tape - I would wonder if M/S wouldn't be the ticket?

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »
In your equal-level picture, one mic blocks off a significant amount of sound intended for its partner mic.

There's also a small issue, though, with the arrival times: your intensity-based stereo image would contradict the image provided by the arrival-time differences. When spacing is used, the R-pointing mic needs to be closer to the R-stack than the L-pointing mic, thus ensuring that any signal from the R-stack will be stronger _and_ earlier in the R-pointing mic, thus preventing a clash between the intensity- and arrival time info. I expect you knew all that, but I thought it worthwhile restating.

And why is it such a hassle to get XY...just use one or two thread adaptors as spacers?

I have read about this arrival-time difference, but I thought it does not matter because 1. I am very close to the source, and 2. because I am recording one PA only. I might be wrong about this.

The PA is (as with most PA) slightly turned right to the center of the room.

In my case I will be pointing at this left PA, does that (in case of A-B, +/-20 cm apart) I have to put the right mic slightly more to the front than the left one?

@all, my idea's about XY have changed a bit now, as most people here do not recommend XY as it does not seem to have any clear advantage. With that in mind (the hassle is: having to set up XY might be a bit to risky (st%^lth)), I will see if I can set the up A/B with a bit more space than 10cm. Thanks a lot so far!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:49:39 PM by popmarter »

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »
Any idea how much stage volume you'll get? I've had some success with 1 mic pointed at the PA and 1 mic pointed at the stage. It might not be balanced in volume, but you could adjust it in post.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »
I think the XY config. is most beneficial when you want to tighten up the low-end. Even if you are getting crushed by SPL's at 5m, I still recommend spreading the mics of so at least you can produce a stereo image that perhaps could be manipulated in post by panning, eq'ing, etc.

Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 05:05:02 AM »
I have read about this arrival-time difference, but I thought it does not matter because 1. I am very close to the source, and 2. because I am recording one PA only. I might be wrong about this.

The PA is (as with most PA) slightly turned right to the center of the room.

In my case I will be pointing at this left PA, does that (in case of A-B, +/-20 cm apart) I have to put the right mic slightly more to the front than the left one?

I'm more of a 'hanging mics from the roof of a cathedral' classical guy than a ''pointing mics at distorting PA speakers'  headbanger :-), so I guess my rather generic advice wasn't so useful.

It might help, though, to have more details about your venue. For example, are you so asymmetrically seated, much closer to the L-stack, that it's not felt worthhile capturing the much weaker R stack? And what's coming out of the stacks, anyway: mono or 'stereo' (pan-potted multi mono) information? Is there much direct sound from the stage?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »
I have taped XY in a small bar taping just the left speaker and it turned out well. But the mics were like 1' from the left speaker not 15'
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:07 AM »
I once taped Ratdog at the Orpheum in Boston. They put us way back in the last row of under the balcony, so I decided to pack up my gear and just watch the show from somewhere else. Well, one thing led to another and someone handed me a good seat about 10th row way ROC in front of the right stack. So I went (I had 20+ patchers in seconds...)

I used hypers x/y 90 and was very pleased with the tape. Yes the *direct music* was mono, and dead center in my tape, but the steady stereo image of the room and crowd gave a nice image all around.

YMMV, but I think XY is a good choice for what you are doing. And I agree with the others, find a way to have the *capsules* (not necessarily the microphones) aligned perfectly one above the other.

And finally; M/S is X/Y. Whether you run M/S or L/R at the show (even with near coincident and spaced configurations!), it is always a good idea to listen to your pull through a m/s plugin. That's a great way to add ambiance to a dry recording or solve a "hole in the middle" problem. You can always apply EQ and dynamic range processing to M and S separately. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:45:22 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com