Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice needed on XY-stacktaping  (Read 6613 times)

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
Advice needed on XY-stacktaping
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
Hi,

I need some advice on how to position the mics when stacktaping.
Tapersposition will be on a balcony, distance around 5m in front of left PA).

I would like to try XY, but I have 2 options, see pictures.

One option is two mics facing eachother on the same level (bit more easier to accomplish (st$%lth).

Second option is the 'true' XY position, which is a bit more hassle.

What would - soundwise - be the best option, or would it not make any real difference?

Thanks in advance.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Advice needed on XY-stacktaping
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:08:47 AM »
Personally I don't think it makes much difference and when I did it, I did same level but with a little space
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
I always like the over/under approach.

I like to think of making the "X" with the mic diaphragms as reference.

The other approach always made it seem like the opposing mic was blocking sound...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
I don't see much sense in stack taping XY. I know people say to do this, but I don't find it does much.  I think you're better off going A-B and just splitting as far apart as you can so you get a little stereo image.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »
Nice looking mics. 
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:45:54 AM »
@ all, thanks for the replies.

I have taped here earlier with both mics about 10 cm apart facing forward (A-B) but to get the channels more balanced, I have plans to try XY.

I am in doubt wether or not putting the mics further apart (let say 30 cm) would be good. I might pick up some crowdnoise on the left (there are stairs) and again, channelbalance might be tricky.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »
In your equal-level picture, one mic blocks off a significant amount of sound intended for its partner mic.

There's also a small issue, though, with the arrival times: your intensity-based stereo image would contradict the image provided by the arrival-time differences. When spacing is used, the R-pointing mic needs to be closer to the R-stack than the L-pointing mic, thus ensuring that any signal from the R-stack will be stronger _and_ earlier in the R-pointing mic, thus preventing a clash between the intensity- and arrival time info. I expect you knew all that, but I thought it worthwhile restating.

And why is it such a hassle to get XY...just use one or two thread adaptors as spacers?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:34:32 AM by Tom McCreadie »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »

I have taped here earlier with both mics about 10 cm apart facing forward (A-B) but to get the channels more balanced, I have plans to try XY.

I am in doubt wether or not putting the mics further apart (let say 30 cm) would be good. I might pick up some crowdnoise on the left (there are stairs) and again, channelbalance might be tricky.
Right, and I'm going to say again - I don't think X-Y will solve that problem for you.  If anything, it might make it worse.  The theoretical ideas about XY do not, in my experience, translate all that well to recording a PA system in a venue.  I've tried it both ways a number of times to reach that conclusion.   To achieve the best channel balance, just go dead-on at the stack you're taping.  As to the split, I guess it really depends on the exact setup of where you are, but either way, I wouldn't do XY.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

runonce

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »

I can't imagine that adding some (and just a little) space between your mics will add to your crowd noise - and will do wonders for the sense of space.

For a stack tape - I would wonder if M/S wouldn't be the ticket?

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »
In your equal-level picture, one mic blocks off a significant amount of sound intended for its partner mic.

There's also a small issue, though, with the arrival times: your intensity-based stereo image would contradict the image provided by the arrival-time differences. When spacing is used, the R-pointing mic needs to be closer to the R-stack than the L-pointing mic, thus ensuring that any signal from the R-stack will be stronger _and_ earlier in the R-pointing mic, thus preventing a clash between the intensity- and arrival time info. I expect you knew all that, but I thought it worthwhile restating.

And why is it such a hassle to get XY...just use one or two thread adaptors as spacers?

I have read about this arrival-time difference, but I thought it does not matter because 1. I am very close to the source, and 2. because I am recording one PA only. I might be wrong about this.

The PA is (as with most PA) slightly turned right to the center of the room.

In my case I will be pointing at this left PA, does that (in case of A-B, +/-20 cm apart) I have to put the right mic slightly more to the front than the left one?

@all, my idea's about XY have changed a bit now, as most people here do not recommend XY as it does not seem to have any clear advantage. With that in mind (the hassle is: having to set up XY might be a bit to risky (st%^lth)), I will see if I can set the up A/B with a bit more space than 10cm. Thanks a lot so far!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:49:39 PM by popmarter »

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »
Any idea how much stage volume you'll get? I've had some success with 1 mic pointed at the PA and 1 mic pointed at the stage. It might not be balanced in volume, but you could adjust it in post.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »
I think the XY config. is most beneficial when you want to tighten up the low-end. Even if you are getting crushed by SPL's at 5m, I still recommend spreading the mics of so at least you can produce a stereo image that perhaps could be manipulated in post by panning, eq'ing, etc.

Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 05:05:02 AM »
I have read about this arrival-time difference, but I thought it does not matter because 1. I am very close to the source, and 2. because I am recording one PA only. I might be wrong about this.

The PA is (as with most PA) slightly turned right to the center of the room.

In my case I will be pointing at this left PA, does that (in case of A-B, +/-20 cm apart) I have to put the right mic slightly more to the front than the left one?

I'm more of a 'hanging mics from the roof of a cathedral' classical guy than a ''pointing mics at distorting PA speakers'  headbanger :-), so I guess my rather generic advice wasn't so useful.

It might help, though, to have more details about your venue. For example, are you so asymmetrically seated, much closer to the L-stack, that it's not felt worthhile capturing the much weaker R stack? And what's coming out of the stacks, anyway: mono or 'stereo' (pan-potted multi mono) information? Is there much direct sound from the stage?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »
I have taped XY in a small bar taping just the left speaker and it turned out well. But the mics were like 1' from the left speaker not 15'
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:07 AM »
I once taped Ratdog at the Orpheum in Boston. They put us way back in the last row of under the balcony, so I decided to pack up my gear and just watch the show from somewhere else. Well, one thing led to another and someone handed me a good seat about 10th row way ROC in front of the right stack. So I went (I had 20+ patchers in seconds...)

I used hypers x/y 90 and was very pleased with the tape. Yes the *direct music* was mono, and dead center in my tape, but the steady stereo image of the room and crowd gave a nice image all around.

YMMV, but I think XY is a good choice for what you are doing. And I agree with the others, find a way to have the *capsules* (not necessarily the microphones) aligned perfectly one above the other.

And finally; M/S is X/Y. Whether you run M/S or L/R at the show (even with near coincident and spaced configurations!), it is always a good idea to listen to your pull through a m/s plugin. That's a great way to add ambiance to a dry recording or solve a "hole in the middle" problem. You can always apply EQ and dynamic range processing to M and S separately. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:45:22 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 01:53:23 PM »
@all

Thanks, it seems like there are many opinions about this subject. In the meantime I have figured out a way to make an XY-setting or AB rather easy.  So easy I can still make the decision when at the gig. If all goes well I will try to record the supportact with a different pattern than the main act. That will give us something to compare.

grts,
popmarter

cashandkerouac

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »

Right, and I'm going to say again - I don't think X-Y will solve that problem for you.  If anything, it might make it worse.  The theoretical ideas about XY do not, in my experience, translate all that well to recording a PA system in a venue.  I've tried it both ways a number of times to reach that conclusion.   To achieve the best channel balance, just go dead-on at the stack you're taping.  As to the split, I guess it really depends on the exact setup of where you are, but either way, I wouldn't do XY.

i agree with acidjack.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 02:58:24 AM »
@all

Thanks, it seems like there are many opinions about this subject. In the meantime I have figured out a way to make an XY-setting or AB rather easy.  So easy I can still make the decision when at the gig. If all goes well I will try to record the supportact with a different pattern than the main act. That will give us something to compare.

grts,
popmarter

if you're running the milabs
at the stack...
I would not recommend this ... but if that's what you want, be sure to engage the 20db pad on the mics or they WILL clip and overload your preamp.
with those mics you be best about 15' to 20' back near the center or at east not right up on the stack.

Edit:
re read the OP
Tapersposition will be on a balcony, distance around 5m in front of left PA).
that will be about 15 feet back, if it's a loud show use the 20 db pad
if you can be center it would sound a bit better or run them spaced by 3 to 4 feet, really.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:02:52 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 03:30:29 AM »
I will run the Milabs and yes I will turn on the -12db pad. I have taped the same position few weeks back with the -12db pad not in use (milab > mix-pre-d > m10).

That recording did not distored, but since the mixpre is a hot preamp it was not easy to set the levels. I am sure with the -12db on it will be ok.

Bit in doubt now, wether or not to use the mixpre>m10 combo or go straight into a R44.  Any advice on this? (I assume the mixpre can haddle the pressure better but i have no proof.)

Loudness will be most likely the same (rockband). I agreed the Milabs work better on some distance, but I have no real good alternative.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:32:48 AM by popmarter »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »
I will run the Milabs and yes I will turn on the -12db pad. I have taped the same position few weeks back with the -12db pad not in use (milab > mix-pre-d > m10).

That recording did not distored, but since the mixpre is a hot preamp it was not easy to set the levels. I am sure with the -12db on it will be ok.

Bit in doubt now, wether or not to use the mixpre>m10 combo or go straight into a R44.  Any advice on this? (I assume the mixpre can haddle the pressure better but i have no proof.)

Loudness will be most likely the same (rockband). I agreed the Milabs work better on some distance, but I have no real good alternative.
I'd go straight into the -44 personally, if you are worried about it.  The -44 pres are good and I think they sound good with the Milabs.  The MixPre is a nice unit, but if you're already kind of worried about things going right, leave the MixPre at home and have one less thing to worry about. 

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 08:19:45 AM »
Hi,

I am coming back on this subject, as last weekend I taped the show. You can find the result here: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=439613

Attached a crappy picture that will give you an idea about the PA and it's distance from my spot.

With all tips from here in mind, my initial plan was to record the supportact in XY and decide afterwards (between support and main act) if I would leave it or change it. I followed Acidjack's advice to stick with the Milabs>R44 combi (instead of Milabs>Mixpre-D>M10). Very glad I did so!

The -12db switch on the Milabs was ON this time... very wise as the music was loud!

When I arrived at the spot it turned out XY was not possible with the 'creation' I had made. The balcony-floor has a slight edge that was a bit higher than expected. OK, plan B, A-B 20cm apart. Tape it firm and forget about it. Done.

Recording turns out much better that the previous time I was there. I am pleased with it. Anyway, judge for yourself. There are some samples included on Dime.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:46:09 AM by popmarter »

runonce

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »
What is that - a stack of bass scoops?

Looks like old school PA gear...

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »
Dunno, must be someone here who can identify this  ;)

runonce

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
I see the array on the right - but that is one big stack of bass scoops on the left...odd...maybe not for heavy stuff.

And - this must be some loud stuff - what is that on stage? 2 bassman amps and a 4/6 X 12 cabinet - with 3 twins behind it!

Holy loud!!!

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »
From all crappy pics, this one might tell a bit more.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »
Excellent recording.  Am I correct that this is also  >:D ?  If so, especially nicely done :)

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »
Thanks. Yes  >:D , i did not bother go and ask people.  ;)

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
As they say, "WELL DONE SIR!"
Glad it worked out for you.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 53 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com