Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice Request, $300 to spend: What external mics (including battery box) to buy  (Read 2894 times)

Offline RockTheMullet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hey,
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this (I was debating between this and the "Ask A Taper" forum) and I am sure questions like this get asked all the time, but I'm a newbie here and I couldn't find anything similar.

I tape with the Tascam DR07mkII Portable Stereo Digital Recorder.  I was just using the internal mics for a while, but a friend let me borrow his Core Sound Binaural (CSB) mics for a few months and after using those, I have realized how much better my recordings come out using external microphones.  I'm planning to buy some external mics in the next few days and was going to go with the CSBs because they're relatively inexpensive and I know they provide a recording that sounds good to my ears, but I thought it would be a good idea to check with some people who know more about the different equipment available to make sure I am making the best choice.  I have $300 to spend on mics (including the battery box, clips, and other add-ons), so are the CSBs the best route to go or is there something equal or better available at a cheaper price?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for all of the advice, guys!  I decided to go with the Core Sound Binaural fixed flat response set.  I got used to using those while I had my friends set and I figured those are good 'starter' mics for me to use for a while until I decide it is worth upgrading to something better.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:07:48 AM by RockTheMullet »
Mics:  Core Sound Binaural
Recorders: Tascam DR07mkII Portable Stereo Digital Recorder

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Well, apologies, but I'm going to widen rather than narrow your choices.

Those AT mics in the link are cardioid--directional. They need to be pointed directly at what you are recording. It depends how you are going to mount them--you don't want them moving around during the recording because they will get louder and softer.  Don't know how you were using the internal mics, but cardioids do best in a fixed place.

I see they have an XLR-to-stereo cable connector.

People who have those ATs do love them, and they are a bargain.

The Core Sound mics are omni--they record all around, so they are more forgiving about placement and less susceptible to wind noise. Core Sounds  require their own battery box, with a special connector, so it's all-or-nothing Core Sound if you do that. You do not need bass roll-off--you can roll off bass if necessary after recording.

A widely recommended alternative here is Church Audio mics, which are excellent quality, handmade by Chris Church, and somewhat cheaper than the Core Sound package--if you're patient.

I have a pair of CA-14 omnis that sound wonderful and are optimized for loud music recording--a little less sensitive than other mics I've owned, which is good.  They're larger than the Core Sound--thumb-tip sized instead of pencil-eraser size--because their windscreens are built on.

Since I got those he came up with another omni, the CA-11 MK II, which are also supposed to be pretty swell.

Church mics are typically terminated to a regular stereo miniplug, so they could go into your Mic-in input directly for quieter sounds, or they can be used with his sturdy little UBB (Ugly Battery Box) into Line-in for louder stuff.    I use them with a Soundprofessionals battery box because I needed one in a hurry.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-10

Church Audio's  website is kind of sketchy at the moment
http://www.church-audio.com

Though if you click around you'll see he's more affordable: he is offering two CA-14 pairs (omni and cardioid) and a preamp (which is more versatile than a battery box, though I find it overkill for typical live recording) for $299. A mic and battery box combo should be considerably less than $300.

If you look at the Retail section under Marketplace you can find the Church Audio listing (out of date now, unfortunately--people snapped up his wild half-price Xmas sale). You can send him a direct PM about an order.

He builds them himself, and they can take a month or so to arrive from Canada. But if you pair the CA-14 omni (or the CA-11 perhaps) with his UBB--Ugly Battery Box--you'll get some fine recordings.

One more place to look if you need the mics fast  is Sound Professionals. http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/110/mics

Don't get the BMC-12, which have incorrect specs--they are speech mics, not music mics. (I've complained about that to SoundPro but they've ignored it.) If you want a starter pair, the BMC-2 are pretty good, but the Church Audios are a serious step up.

Ok, and one more: Naiant X-X. http://www.naiant.com/xxspecification.html  I haven't used these but Naiant is serious audio geek stuff and I'd expect them to be good.   Note that the mics are the tinier end of the picture--I think the fat ends are XLR connectors.  You'd get a stereo pair with a miniplug, $69, and probably get a battery box from SoundPros. Jon Stoppable from Naiant  is also on taperssection for questions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:34:11 PM by earmonger »

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
I've got a set of ca14 omnis and a 9200 preamp i may be willing to part with.  Pm sent
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline ozone21clutch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I may be interested obaaron. 1/8 plugs on the preamp?

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
Yep
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com