Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADk Tls or Akg 481s  (Read 7740 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
ADk Tls or Akg 481s
« on: October 19, 2004, 12:52:59 PM »
Well i got a decision in front of me...
Tls or Akg.  The akg is $100 more, but comes with some extras (like a special case).  Hmmm what to do?  Any advice?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: ADk Tls or Akg 481s
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 12:54:57 PM »
my TL's came with a case too...

I have no experience with AKG's, but I know a lot of people like them, but I think you have to buy new caps to change patterns, where as the TL's have switchable patterns.

TL's are huge too.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:05:56 PM »
Well i got a decision in front of me...
Tls or Akg.  The akg is $100 more, but comes with some extras (like a special case).  Hmmm what to do?  Any advice?

What special case? If it is the original plastic case, I don't think this would be helpful for taping - only storage at home. The AKGs would also be way more than $100 more to get all the patterns the TLs have. If you don't mind the weight and will use all the patterns on the TLs, they make great recordings. If you only want card mics with the option to add other patterns later and need a smaller microphone the AKGs rock! Although I'm not sure the mics sound exactly alike, they are both good choives. Good luck and +T
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 01:21:44 PM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:45:34 PM »
Can't you get actives for the AKG's as well? (not sure...)  maybe thats important in making the decision...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 01:52:31 PM »
The mics are not only different sizes, but they also sound very different.  Another thing to consider is what you are going to run them through... The AKGs sound great with a variety of pre-amps, as do the TLs.  IME, the AKGs will give a lot more detail than the TLs will, but the TLs will give you a full, very transparent sound.

To my knowlede, the 480s don't have active cables unless you are taking the J&K labs ECM-22 for the ck6X caps, which are a completely different mic.

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 02:17:17 PM »
Im going to send them into a Wmod UA-5.
I really like a crisp, clear, high...I am a little concerned about the loss of detail in a TL
(Sometimes I feel like I am trying to describe a cigar)
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 02:39:25 PM »
The TLs sound great run through the w/ mod UA5, especially for acoustic stuff. 
The T-mod may be better, though for those mics.  I have yet to use a t-mod w/ my TLs, but I would like to.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 03:12:31 PM »
love the T mod for my UA5 and TLs.....

every time I set the mics up right and don't make a bad tape becuse I'm stupid
it sounds like I am at the show
plenty of detail IMO
?>FR2LE

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 03:21:55 PM »
i have a bunch of  TL > warm mod  ua-5 shows, and i really think this is a great combo

and the cost for all the patterns is way in favor of the tl's
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 03:32:12 PM »
The case he's referring to is a customized AT case for a pair of 480s and and extra pair of caps, nice size for a taping bag (though hardly worth $100  :P).

As folks have mentioned, the mics sound very different from one another.  You might want to try getting some downloads of shows/songs with the different mics from archive.org.  You might also want to put up a question in the team board section in both the ADK team thread and the Team AKG thread.  You might get more input on what people like and dislike about their mics there.

Also, you should put some thought into what you're interested in running, as well as the sound you like best.  The TLs are a great deal if you want to try running a variety of mic capsule patterns and as was mentioned, going this route with the AKGs will cost you a lot more.  You should also think about the logistics of running LD mics like the TLs.  Bigger mics, bigger taping bag, harder to set up, harder to arrange a clamp on someone else's stand, etc.  It might not be a big deal depending on your own preferences, but to some it is.  I never ran LDs for this reason, and I know several people who got out of LD mics (TLs, U89s) for reasons having more to do with the logistics of running LDs than for differences in the sound.

Bottom line, it all depends on your preferences.  Both the TLs and the 480s are great mics, you really can't go wrong either way.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 04:17:04 PM »
The TL's come with the hard cases

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 04:34:13 PM »
I have been thinking about getting some MGs for taping when I think the TLs are not going to go over as well in terms of logistics.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 07:06:15 PM »
like what has been said, tl's will give you afuller, rounder sound, w/ switchable patterns, and the 480's have amazing detail that the tls just dont have
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 07:57:23 AM »
i tried to find a good comparison on archive.org.  I couldn't find one exactly right.  But the bass response seemed greater in the TLs.  When the word clarity is used, would that be like the snap on a mandolin?  I really want to tape some bluegrass stuff.
Also the switchable patterns are influencing me to tdk
my only hang up is, how the crap am i going to carry these monsters?
Would there be any sense in running a 3 mic matrix, with a small dia mic?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 08:10:14 AM »
i tried to find a good comparison on archive.org.  I couldn't find one exactly right.  But the bass response seemed greater in the TLs.  When the word clarity is used, would that be like the snap on a mandolin?  I really want to tape some bluegrass stuff.
Also the switchable patterns are influencing me to tdk
my only hang up is, how the crap am i going to carry these monsters?
Would there be any sense in running a 3 mic matrix, with a small dia mic?

seems to me you'll have to carry shock mounts and mics and cables regardless of which mics you get- except the TL's are bigger, so their case will be bigger.

Bean's point is why I think a p-mod might be better with the TL's than a w-mod, but I've never heard the TL-pmod combo, so this is really nothing more than speculation based on wanna-be logic.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 08:12:07 AM by pfife »

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com