Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADK Shootout----- WTF ?  (Read 6113 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
ADK Shootout----- WTF ?
« on: November 13, 2004, 08:17:55 PM »
Saw this on NYC Craigslist
And can't make sense of it.
Is this a promo from ADK or something ?
Or just a sales ploy by a local seller?

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
Re: ADK Shootout----- WTF ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 08:27:41 PM »
"Feel free to bring any mic you want to A/B."    pretty bold statement.
we all live downstream.

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 09:13:25 AM »

can't wait to see someone show up with a korby convertable mic :)  then let's a/b :)

Offline Brian

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 10:34:41 AM »

can't wait to see someone show up with a korby convertable mic :)  then let's a/b :)

that's a great mike BTW.....my professor has a set and we use them all the time.  those capsules are pretty damn close to the original sound!

in regards to the "shootout"..........after talking to larry v. at the aes convention i doubt he'd condone such a bold statement.  he's an engineer and desinged his mikes to have similar sonic qualities as all the old classics.....schoeps, neumanns, etc.  he was a VERY humble guy and i doubt he'd ever make such a statement himself.

with that said, i wouldn't judge ADK nor associate them with this guy's comment.  There microphones are fantastic sounding, built with quality parts and solid construction.  BUt to say they match up to any mike is simply not true.

Now if he are talking about Sonador omni microphones he might have a case ;)

edit: larry v. started ADK microphones.......just to clarify ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 10:37:51 AM by S_TL-Taper »

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 11:00:51 AM »

that's a great mike BTW.....my professor has a set and we use them all the time.  those capsules are pretty damn close to the original sound!

in regards to the "shootout"..........after talking to larry v. at the aes convention i doubt he'd condone such a bold statement.  he's an engineer and desinged his mikes to have similar sonic qualities as all the old classics.....schoeps, neumanns, etc.  he was a VERY humble guy and i doubt he'd ever make such a statement himself.

with that said, i wouldn't judge ADK nor associate them with this guy's comment.  There microphones are fantastic sounding, built with quality parts and solid construction.  BUt to say they match up to any mike is simply not true.

Now if he are talking about Sonador omni microphones he might have a case ;)

edit: larry v. started ADK microphones.......just to clarify ;)

dude bust out some good pics of that korby- what a sick mic.  how amazing would it be to run those for your live rig?  heheheh

Offline Brian

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 11:04:01 AM »
well then you would have to spend 14k for two sets....i bet that's a smidgen outside most everybody's budget here ;)

i actually took some pictures of them at the AES, but, alas, my USB cable for my digi cam is lost. :(  it sucks because i hace some great pictures from the convention.  For example when i stopped by the geffell booth, the head designer and the head of the designing department had just come up with a new idea for a microphone and were drawing hte schematics right there! IT was pretty sweet.

guess i'll have to finally buy a new usb cable and get these pictures up here :)

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 11:07:01 AM »
well then you would have to spend 14k for two sets....i bet that's a smidgen outside most everybody's budget here ;)

i actually took some pictures of them at the AES, but, alas, my USB cable for my digi cam is lost. :(  it sucks because i hace some great pictures from the convention.  For example when i stopped by the geffell booth, the head designer and the head of the designing department had just come up with a new idea for a microphone and were drawing hte schematics right there! IT was pretty sweet.

guess i'll have to finally buy a new usb cable and get these pictures up here :)

what kind of camera?

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 11:12:06 AM »
it's an old fuji. probably 3-4 years old.  fuji 400 something or other.  i'm sure i can find a replacement....at least i hope

the pics are pretty decent.  i tried not to use a flash on the pictures where i didn't ask if i could photograph.  there was a no camera policy, but it was WAY lax.

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 11:21:08 AM »
it's an old fuji. probably 3-4 years old.  fuji 400 something or other.  i'm sure i can find a replacement....at least i hope

the pics are pretty decent.  i tried not to use a flash on the pictures where i didn't ask if i could photograph.  there was a no camera policy, but it was WAY lax.

every cable ever is on ebay

Offline Brian

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 11:22:33 AM »
i don't have an ebay account :-[ .... for some reason i was never comfortable with the idea after hearing bad "rip-off" stories.  however i realize how many people use it and love it so i guess htere is a first time for everything :)

jpschust

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 11:24:48 AM »
i don't have an ebay account :-[ .... for some reason i was never comfortable with the idea after hearing bad "rip-off" stories.  however i realize how many people use it and love it so i guess htere is a first time for everything :)

for what's gonna be a 5-10 dollar item why not give it a shot?

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 11:26:04 AM »
yeah i know. i've avoided the ebay for too long. at some point i'll havemoney to slut it up and buy cool vintage gear, so i might as well get my feedback nice and good with the small transactions :)

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 11:28:03 AM »
dude you want nice vintage gear then go to www.vintageking.com

korby does the restoration himself

Offline Brian

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 11:32:26 AM »
dude you want nice vintage gear then go to www.vintageking.com

korby does the restoration himself

must.......resist........clicking.....the link.........RESIST.......RESIST!!!! ;D

Offline Brian

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 11:33:58 AM »
i have a new favorite website 8)

jpschust

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 11:38:46 AM »
i have a new favorite website 8)

me too.  that guy's work is pretty sick.

Offline Brian

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004, 11:39:23 AM »
jonny....you realized what you have done to me, right? :P

i want that neve 12 channel mixer......NOW!

jpschust

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004, 11:41:14 AM »
jonny....you realized what you have done to me, right? :P

i want that neve 12 channel mixer......NOW!

hahaha doesn't everyone?

by the way, i forget where i saw it, but someone did a shootout with some of the modified soundcraft ghost boards vs some of the later neve stuff and it was pretty close. 

also have you seen that insanely expensive mastering box that went up on ebay like 20 times for 40+k that has all original api, neve, etc. parts in it?

Offline Brian

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2004, 11:45:26 AM »
yes i have!  they had it displayed at the AES. it is ready for production and selling.  i imagine the one that went on ebay was one of the original prototypes made 3 years ago. the mastering device was 3 years in the making.

for the whole "shebang" with all the strips.........$19,000 :o

i have a picture of that too. ;D  Mr. Neve is a great guy.....most intellegent audio personality i have ever had the pleasure of talking to and learning from.  his thoughts on extended bandwidth are amazing!

Offline Brian

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2004, 11:46:01 AM »
oh and i'd like that consecutive serial number pair of neumann m49c's to go with my neve board :P

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2004, 01:14:41 PM »
oh and i'd like that consecutive serial number pair of neumann m49c's to go with my neve board :P

did you go over to the stephen paul audio booth? the gordon or lipisnki?

lots of great gear was debuted at this years show.

Offline Brian

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2004, 01:34:39 PM »
i talked to grant carpenter of Gordon Instruments for about 30minutes.  He's a great guy...very knowledgable, and his new model 5 preamp is one of the best 2 channel preamps EVER made.  didn't make it over to SPA i don't think. it was a long-ass weekend.  everytime i stepped into the exhibits area it was a different experience.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com