Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: advise in MG-200's-210's and differences..  (Read 3698 times)

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
advise in MG-200's-210's and differences..
« on: June 06, 2006, 09:14:41 AM »
I really like gefells,im not a fan of a km184's sound I think up close they sound muddy and not broad spectrum'd

I want to buy some gefells although im partial to km 140's and mk4v's but IMHO paying for a name is not what im after.I know of alot of you guys using MG's.and LOVE the sound they collect. so someone plese tell me

difference in mics,caps, and opinions on recording close and far away. we all like fob,but sometimes cant get to the "sweet spot"

what is my best way to go and whats best bang for the buck?

and does anyone have some they are willing to part with?

all your answers kindly appreciated.

I ran sennheiser 421's for 20+ years. I know for a schwag mic well they had "good" sound and the bass roll off feature was perfect for up close with no distortion.and in an open stadium far back always got a good FULL mix of sound.

im still looking for the same kind of result. Im thinking of going JB3 and ua5 mod.....

but want a true good sounding digital set-up.

thanks.... M.T.

Mule is a thumpy band,and I always get good seats...

but will be recording other bands in smaller places also.
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
Re: advise in MG-200's-210's and differences..
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 06:55:59 PM »
thanks Tim a HUGE help.

any of you that run these i would like your insight as well.

ive always liked the 210's and think this is the way I want to go.....200 bodies and both sets of caps..im not a fan of the omni's I dont think IMHO they sound as good as the hypers.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 07:01:36 PM »
id go 210's cause i tend to use hypers for my 480's way more than the cards, even up close, hypers bring the heat but they need to get used to using, theyre a harder cap to run than cards, for most stuff just go DIN/DINa, or just point at stacks, all have worked well for me :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:04:55 PM »
Sorry to threadjack, but what's the going rate on m21 caps? New or used.....

I'll be able to chime in on how the m200's sound in a short time here....

8)
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 07:40:44 PM »

I'll be able to chime in on how the m200's sound in a short time here....]

did you just get a pair Tony??

thanks for the info Bean!!

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 09:01:59 PM »
did you just get a pair Tony??

Well, they're in transit, but I've been really into these mics since the first time I heard them sourced on a show I traded for...like four years back or so. Basically been trying to get a pair ever since. I do a lot of taping in smaller clubs, but survived with KM184's for two years, so cards aren't a big deal for me. Having the option to switch patterns is nice though (I ran TLs for a while as well).

MGs are pretty much all they're fluffed up to be, at least to my ears.
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 10:20:30 PM »
I really love my m300s , I just wish I had the option of hypers for some rooma..

they have a fairly small profile though, so I have run the FOB with no issues. and that makes up for the room, usually..

that said, sometime with louder shows, the bottom end gets a bit thick
I have taped Mule with them a fair bit, and the bass can be very intense and on my crappy computer speakers, very distorted sometimes... on my playback it come thru just loud and clear...

?>FR2LE

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 02:41:33 PM »
I thought I'd chime in here as well.

I want to buy some gefells although im partial to km 140's and mk4v's but IMHO paying for a name is not what im after.I know of alot of you guys using MG's.and LOVE the sound they collect. so someone plese tell me

you won't be paying for the name, but gefell;s aren't cheap.  a brand new pair, with just one set of caps, will run you ~$2000.  It's worth it, IMO, but don't expect these mics to be much cheaper than Neumann's or schoeps.

Mule is a thumpy band,and I always get good seats...

but will be recording other bands in smaller places also.

the MG's have been great in every situation I've run them in.  While I only own the cards, I have run all three caps, cards, hypers, and omnis.  I usually tape in small bars, but I've recorded Mule, Trey, and other bands in larger places.  I can send you a copy of the Mule show, if you like.  about a year ago, 6/3/05 (I think), in Boston.

ive always liked the 210's and think this is the way I want to go.....200 bodies and both sets of caps..im not a fan of the omni's I dont think IMHO they sound as good as the hypers.

as with all omnis, you need to be in the right situation.  on-stage, or a wide spread on the lawn, they can sound great.  here are a couple of my recordings, in different situations, if you'd like to check them out:

http://www.archive.org/details/clubdelf2006-04-27.m200.flac16 - on-stage cards
http://www.archive.org/details/clubdelf2006-05-25.m270.flac16 - on-stage omnis
http://www.archive.org/details/ymsb2005-10-19.m200.flac16 - cards in a small/medium sized venue
http://www.archive.org/details/gpn2006-05-30.m200.flac16 - cards in a small bar
http://www.archive.org/details/gpn2005-11-16.m210.flac16 - hypers in the back of a medium sized theater

that last one was opening for Trey, and I was left of center, all the way back, and under the balcony.  literally, the worst place in the room to record from.  obviously, it's not the best recording I've made, but I must say, the recording came out better than I was expecting, given the circumstances.  and, like I said, feel free to get in touch, and I'll send you a copy of the Mule recording that I made last summer.  that was from the 4th row, a little right of center, and it's a boomy sounding venue anyway.  I was very happy with the way the MG's handled the room and all that bass coming from the stage.  nice, clear sound on the tape :)

a pair of caps will probably run you ~$1000 new.  I'm not sure of the used price, it would depend if the person selling bought them before or after the price increase.

I really love my m300s , I just wish I had the option of hypers for some rooma..

they have a fairly small profile though, so I have run the FOB with no issues. and that makes up for the room, usually..

I think the m200 mics are a little bigger than the m300 mics.  I'm not 100% sure on that, but it'd be worthwhile to check...

hoep this helps you out a bit.
- Jason

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 03:14:41 PM »
Tim, not to be a bastard, but is there a sonic difference b/w your mg set up and someone who runs w/ the bodies.  i would think so, but i am not sure if it is there if it is even noticable.

just curious
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

RebelRebel

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 04:24:51 PM »
I can help anybody with Price quotes and/or purchases. I have a slick discount with MG, so feel free to PM me if you want something.I buy everything factory direct.

As a minor correction to what Tim was saying,

for SDC mics, you also have the models M294(cardiod with a HF boost of 5db @ 8hz) and 295(same mic without the boost)
and the m296 and m296s(omnis, 296s is calibrated more for measurement  tasks)

I own the m300s, m296, m930, and have used pretty much every Gefell mic there is..they are all phenomenal, and in my opinion, superior to any mic I have used, regardless the cost. With that company, it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

RebelRebel

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 04:29:15 PM »
I think the m200 mics are a little bigger than the m300 mics.  I'm not 100% sure on that, but it'd be worthwhile to check...

Yep, the M300s are smaller than the SMS2000 series

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 09:09:16 AM »
Thought I would chime in here as well.  I agree with what everybody has said here.  MGs are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but you get what you pay for.  One of the issues I think why they are not so popular is that they cost as much as the Schoeps or Neumann 140 series that can easily be stealthed, but the MGs are full bodies which makes it more difficult to do so.  I also completely agree that the used factor plays a lot into this.  Not too many people run the Gefells so they almost never are found on the used market, while AKG, Schoeps, and Neumanns are often bought and sold.  Then again, I buy based on what sounds best to me and Gefells are better than any of the above mentioned mics to me.

One drawback of the Gefells compared to some of the other mics is the limited choice of caps.  Gefells just have hyper, card, and omni; the Schoeps has a bunch of really cool caps like a nice-sounding subcard that Gefell doesn't have.

For best bang for the buck, I would have to go with the AKG 480 series.  You can find a used pair without a whole lot of difficulty for a reasonable price and they sound really good.  Just IMHO.  They don't sound like Gefells (nothing does), but they sound nice in a different way.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 09:50:08 PM »
hey all!!

thanks for all this info..wow.

more to gefells then Ide imagined.all good info to help get me where i need to go.

I want a pair of 200 and caps and a set of hyper caps also. 210's are perfect for me I feel.Ive got a line on a pair used for 1200.with cables included.Im waiting to hear back from the guy.Hoping it works out,he had anoter buyer who backed out so he thought.Im waiting to hear,at that price i feel its a deal. 3 sets of caps also!

fingers crossed....

im waiting to buy the other stuff till I know ive got mics...then its all downhill from there.

have not recorded a show since xmas jam....im having withdrawls... ???

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 10:14:06 PM »
3 sets of caps for 1200 w/ bodies ??? if so, thats a STEAL :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com