Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: km184's x/y?  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
km184's x/y?
« on: October 20, 2007, 02:49:47 PM »
I poked around the archives and didn't see much. Anyone have any thoughts on running the km184's x/y? I'll be doing an acoustic set tonight and will be setup on stage. I was thinking about running x/y at about 100* to get a nice center image and still a good sized soundstage. Any thoughts?

I'm running JBK's 184->busman R4

thanks
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
Re: km184's x/y?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »
I always ran din but onstage xy should work great.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 03:18:35 PM »
thanks Gordon
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 03:36:01 PM »
don't be afraid to go wider if the situation calls for it.  when i run XY onstage, i widen the angle to where the capsules are pointing just outside the furthest sound source to the sides of the stage (amp/instrument/whatever)

plus....they're cardioids so the wider angle, the better IMO.  i've run cardioids as far as 130deg xy onstage before.  since you are running a coincident pair on stage you don't have to worry too much about the center of the image.....it will be there even at wider angles

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 04:00:56 PM »
184s sound sick in any config!
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 04:02:20 PM »
Thanks Brian

that's why I was thinking of going coincident. I want a good strong center image on this tape.

I wasn't sure if the 184's would be too bright run x/y but with a wider angle maybe that won't be such an issue

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 09:19:15 AM »
how did it turn out tim?  what did you end up running?

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 09:52:45 AM »
the best sounding tape i ever made with 184's was XY. bela fleck. sick sound.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 11:03:59 AM »
how did it turn out tim?  what did you end up running?

great time up in Salina Saturday. Thanks Phil for hooking that up and JBK for the loaner rig

listened a bunch yesterday and I think it came out really nice. I had the gain all the way up on the R4 and it's very clean and quiet, I'm impressed by this little box.

Former guitar player from the Wayword Sons with another guitar, fiddle, mandolin, bass playing in an old 1 room school house from 1885. About 40 people all VERY quiet and respectful. I setup about 4 feet from the performers, 3.5 feet high and ran x/y 100*. Big wide soundstage but still a nice, tight image. For the first time out in a few years it came out nice

the music was all originals and he played a lot of quiet and mellow stuff. He actually at one point said he was playing mellow music because the audience was so respectful and he never gets to play these tunes. At one point he actually had numerous people in the audience in tears - the guy can really write a song. he had really interesting introductions/stories to a lot of the songs

he really seemed to appreciate having someone there to record. he even kicked me a copy of his new album which was way cool. Jeff Austin, Drew Emmitt, Sally Van Meter and others guest on the album

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 11:11:53 AM »
tim doesn't tape.  this is a lie.  :P
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
 :scared:

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 04:24:09 PM »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:41:47 PM by Tim »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.232 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com