Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stereo recording suggections for String Ensemble  (Read 4467 times)

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
Re: Stereo recording suggections for String Ensemble
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 09:15:58 AM »

It seems to me you are just confusing your self big time....just start with the '69,and adjust the angle to the focus of interest.then after some time when you get down to the science of it add more mics.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 09:09:15 PM »
You can use a USM 69 as your main stereo pair, and it is definitely capable of M/S pickup. But that is a microphone with a definite "sonic signature"--it doesn't have a smooth, neutral treble range. Thus you might need to keep it back a little farther away from the sound sources than you might initially expect.

Doing that can be very helpful anyway when recording in M/S or Blumlein, since it helps you to fit everyone within the coverage angle of the stereo pair. In M/S recording you must never let the side (S) microphone pick up any source of direct sound more than the center (M) mike is picking it up--the musical balance as picked up by the M microphone alone needs to be complete.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 07:25:39 AM »
ain't that the truth.
I can't even list the number of "eh" blumlien recordings i made because of being too close (on stage situations w/rock bands that were spread out in front of the mic...but only around 3' ).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com