Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA14 + 9100 + Edirol R09-HR (Newbie questions)  (Read 2125 times)

Offline roxia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
CA14 + 9100 + Edirol R09-HR (Newbie questions)
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »
Hello everybody

So I recieved my gear from Chris today.
CA14 (Omni and Car.), ST9100 Preamp and a 3.5 mm cable to use between Preamp and Edirol R-09HR

And now the newbie questions:

1. What battery should be used on the 9100 Preamp and where can I find these?
2. What input should be used on the Edirol from the preamp?
3. What should be started first? The preamp or the Edirol?
4. Should all levels be at the lowest while starting the preamp? And if it's not.. what could happen to the gear?
5. Should the preamp level be at maximum always and then only change the input level on the Edirol after how loud the concert is?
6. What should be turned off first and shuting everything off?

Is there anything more I should think of, before using the gear?
I'm afraid of breaking my gear :)

Sorry for all newbie questions. I hope you experts can help me out so I can get started over here ;)

Thanks in advance
Video: Canon HF100
Audio: Edirol R-09HR / ST9100 / CA14

Taped shows:
5 audio / 2 video

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: CA14 + 9100 + Edirol R09-HR (Newbie questions)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:35:49 AM »
Great gear. You'll love it.

a 9 volt battery available places where batteries are sold.

2. What input should be used on the Edirol from the preamp?
line in

Don't think it makes a difference.

4. Should all levels be at the lowest while starting the preamp? And if it's not.. what could happen to the gear?
Well when you turn the pre-amp on, it will be lowest but it really does not make a difference.

5. Should the preamp level be at maximum always and then only change the input level on the Edirol after how loud the concert is?
I keep my 09hr around 45-55 on input and adjust the pre-amp until the meters are about -12 with slightly above that.

6. What should be turned off first and shuting everything off?
Don't think this makes a difference. I usually do the pre-amp because I have the 09hr on hold which requires sliding a switch to turn it off.

Don't be fearful of using this gear since I don't see how you can destroy it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »
Hello everybody

So I recieved my gear from Chris today.
CA14 (Omni and Car.), ST9100 Preamp and a 3.5 mm cable to use between Preamp and Edirol R-09HR

And now the newbie questions:

Get a few of these.... PLEASE DONT USE REGULAR 9 Volt batteries when you can buy a rechargeable that will last 50x as long and be much better for the environment. this is the one to get.    http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/maha-powerex-96-volt-230mah-nimh-rechargeable-batterybr1-battery-pack-p-505.html2.

2.What input should be used on the Edirol from the preamp?
You can use the mic input for low volume shows like outdoors or acoustic shows.
You can use the line input for loud shows.

It does not really matter as the preamp will not damage your edirol. Generally speaking you plug in your mics then turn the preamp on. Then the edirol but again it really does not matter.

NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.. I would turn the preamp onto 80 to 90% of its total gain then turn on the edirol. And adjust the edirol from there to make up the difference.

5. Should the preamp level be at maximum always and then only change the input level on the Edirol after how loud the concert is?  SET THE PREAMP TO 70% for really loud shows and 80 to 100% for softer shows.. This will require some trial and error. But remember if you dont see the distortion indicator ligh up then the preamp is not overloading and you can provided your edirol will handle the extra gain give it more.

6. What should be turned off first and shutting everything off?
Edirol then preamp but again it does not really matter.

Is there anything more I should think of, before using the gear?
I'm afraid of breaking my gear :)
You can run my preamp over with a truck.. I have done it before.. But please dont go out and do that :) It will void your warranty lol.. Don't worry about breaking the gear its built like a tank be careful with the cables not to tug on them and to always wind them up by hand when you are done with them but never to tightly. That's it. Have fun with your new toys!!!
Sorry for all newbie questions. I hope you experts can help me out so I can get started over here ;)

Remember you are in the ABSOLUTE best place to ask  questions the guys and girls here are very knowledgeable! when it comes to live recording.. There is a learning curve I have tried to make my gear plug and play but trial and error and experience will make for better recordings.
Thanks in advance
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline roxia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:47:45 PM »
Thank you very much!
Video: Canon HF100
Audio: Edirol R-09HR / ST9100 / CA14

Taped shows:
5 audio / 2 video

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com