Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Benchmark DAC - USB or Not?  (Read 5351 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Benchmark DAC - USB or Not?
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Is there a significant difference in sonic quality going straight from the PC-> USB-> DAC vs. using a coax or optical out of the PC from a soundcard to the DAC?  I've read USB is preferred but wanted to know if there were any real world users out there with feedback.

I'm potentially looking to pick up the Benchmark DAC 1 and want to know if I should throw down the extra $300 for USB.

Also, anyone else have a recommendations on a DAC / preamp combo like the Benchmark where there's a gain control?  I'm cutting back my PC setup and want to go to an all in one box like the Benchmark.  I know about the Grace 902.  How does it comp against the Benchmark?  Any others?
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Benchmark DAC - USB or Not?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 11:19:02 PM »
The Benchmark is a much better unit than my DAC, but the following is true for less expensive gear:

I send an optical signal to my DAC.  The USB can transmit computer noise.  The optical acts as a decoupler. 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 04:38:24 PM »
Is there a significant difference in sonic quality going straight from the PC-> USB-> DAC vs. using a coax or optical out of the PC from a soundcard to the DAC?  I've read USB is preferred but wanted to know if there were any real world users out there with feedback.

I'm potentially looking to pick up the Benchmark DAC 1 and want to know if I should throw down the extra $300 for USB.

Also, anyone else have a recommendations on a DAC / preamp combo like the Benchmark where there's a gain control?  I'm cutting back my PC setup and want to go to an all in one box like the Benchmark.  I know about the Grace 902.  How does it comp against the Benchmark?  Any others?

I dont know if youve seen or read about the mytek, but MattD , myself and others have preferred the Mytek over the Benchmark units in listening sessions. In my opinion, The benchmark has a tendency to get very strident sounding, especially dealing with High Frequencies. The mytek is very natural and smooth sounding, with no sacrificing of detail. Of course, this is only my opinion, but I wasnt aware if you knew the Mytek was out there.(a lot of people dont).

-Teddy

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:13:36 PM »
I need optical in or USB...thanks for the feedback though Teddy. 

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 08:44:48 PM »

just as an fyi, the Mytek (Rev 7) has Opti-in that accepts pro & consumer signals.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 12:13:09 AM »

It does, as Horus said above, I just neglected to mention it. I am scatterbrained. Sorry bud.

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 04:52:43 AM »
I have a DAC1 USB and think it's great.  I have it hooked up to a media pc where I can easily browse to all of my tapes, that integration is wonderful.  I can't speak to the differences if I had coax, sonically it should be no different.  The USB component just makes it that much easier to wrap it up into one unit for me - no digital sound card needed, and no drivers to worry about.

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline audBall

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 07:19:04 AM »
Dunno if this is a good deal or not, but here's a DAC1 USB:  http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1216341046

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 09:13:55 AM »
That is a good deal.  Thanks for the comments above ^.  The USB option available with 24/96 is a major feature I like. However, after reading Teddy's comments thought I'd go out and check out the Mytek some more and it lead me to the Lavry DAC10 as well.  Anyone have any feedback on the Lavry?  Seems many prefer the Mytek and Lavry to the Benchmark...

Ultimately I'm looking for best sonic qualities, while I know they are subjective, the sonic qualities would trump the USB option.

RebelRebel

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 03:32:40 PM »
That is a good deal.  Thanks for the comments above ^.  The USB option available with 24/96 is a major feature I like. However, after reading Teddy's comments thought I'd go out and check out the Mytek some more and it lead me to the Lavry DAC10 as well.  Anyone have any feedback on the Lavry?  Seems many prefer the Mytek and Lavry to the Benchmark...

Ultimately I'm looking for best sonic qualities, while I know they are subjective, the sonic qualities would trump the USB option.

there are comps vs lavry on the mytek site..
http://www.mytekdigital.com/compare/index.htm
www.mytekdigital.com

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 06:00:31 AM »
Well, if you have a soundcard w/ digi-out anyway you don't need the USB option.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 06:47:27 PM »
when benchmark says that the usb is preferable to a soundcard, this is solely based on the fact that its very very difficult to get bit-accurate spdif out of a windows machine.

If you have your computer setup for bit-accurate spdif (im guessing 90+% of people do not), they will be identical.

unless you have specifically configured your windows machine with either asio or kernel streaming drivers/plugins, and have paid particular attention to selecting a specific soundcard for bit-accuracy, and tested it to verify, its unlikely you have bit-accurate spdif working, as somewhere along the line (playback application volume/eq/plugins, or kmixer resampling, or windows volume, or hardware resampling in the card), its very likely the signal will be compromised.

Benchmark's claim to fame is that their USB driver is special, and operates directly at a low-level in windows. The benchmark resamples this stream to a very high frequency prior to DA conversion, so theres no way to really test and confirm that it does what it claims with your computer.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »
I thought I had my soundcard setup correctly...but one of the reasons I was considering the USB Benchmark was to avoid the setup process.

I use Media Monkey for playback and a Chaintech AV710 soundcard.  As long as I use ASIO or Kernel Streaming is my setup ok?  Are there other setting I ened to pay attention to?

Offline audBall

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:16:57 PM »
this guy's dropping it like it's hot:  http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1217107299

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 02:19:49 AM »
k mixer 
funny joke that one

g

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 01:14:33 PM »
A good review of the DAC1 USB:

http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/108bench/

and some useful info about using the USB connection with different software and playback configurations.

http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/108bench/index5.html
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com