Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which do you prefer, and which do you think is which?

A - R-09
1 (4.2%)
A - R-09HR
0 (0%)
B - R-09
1 (4.2%)
B - R-09HR
4 (16.7%)
No preference
3 (12.5%)
Just want to see some results
15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: [DD] ADC Comparison - Edirol R-09 & R-09HR  (Read 7867 times)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Re: [DD] ADC Comparison - Edirol R-09 & R-09HR
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 06:01:13 PM »
In my opinion, they are very close, and both very capable devices for line-in recording. But, I give the edge to "B," as I find the bass response to be tighter and fuller.

*********SPOILER ALERT*********

Now, for the big reveal...

A = R-09
B = R-09HR

I was very happy to hear the low end differences between the two recorders, as I've always thought the R-09 sounded a little light in the low end. I would be very happy with either recorder, though you'll see my R-09 up for sale after next week's vacation (unless someone here wants it right now).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:03:05 PM by bgalizio »

Offline GregDunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 01:59:36 AM »
Excellent - I can hear a little difference and it's in the "right" direction.  Makes me feel very good about my choice of hardware.

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 02:00:52 AM »
Thank you very much for the tests. It would be very helpful to hear the original track clips off the CDs. Then, we could hear how the R-09 and R-09HR altered the original sound of the track. For example, the R-09HR may slightly exaggerate the low end, or maybe it is true that the R-09 thins out the low end.

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 02:22:55 AM »
Here is a link to the MP3 of the original Nickel Creek track from the CD:
http://www.TomJRoach.com/MP3s/Nickel_Creek_&_Allison_Krauss-The_Lighthouse's_Tale.mp3

I adjusted the volume of the above MP3 to match the sound levels of the R-09 samples. The CD track is louder.
Keep in mind, the D/A converter in the signal path to the R-09 and R-09HR recorders plays a role, but this MP3 should give a good indication of what the R-09 and R-09HR recorders do to the signals.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 07:21:26 AM »
Here is a link to the MP3 of the original Nickel Creek track from the CD:
http://www.TomJRoach.com/MP3s/Nickel_Creek_&_Allison_Krauss-The_Lighthouse's_Tale.mp3

I adjusted the volume of the above MP3 to match the sound levels of the R-09 samples. The CD track is louder.
Keep in mind, the D/A converter in the signal path to the R-09 and R-09HR recorders plays a role, but this MP3 should give a good indication of what the R-09 and R-09HR recorders do to the signals.

Well, also keep in mind the following:

1. I was using the "hi-resolution" versions of these albums (DVD-A for the GD disc, SACD for the NC disc).

2. Running analog out of my DVD player means its DAC plays a role.

3. The mp3 encoding of the sample posted will undoubtedly alter the sound.

When I play these files back compared to the original discs, the R-09HR sounds ever so slightly closer to the original source. The difference is in the low end. YMMV, of course.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 03:17:18 PM »
Late comment on this thread...

I have always wondered about the sound quality of trim 8 vs. say 10 or 12 on the r09.  In my testing I heard some distortion at 7, but not 8.  Since I wanted as much as hot signal handling as possible, I always ran at 8.. But I wondered if a higher setting would actually sound better.  That is something I think deserves more testing on all of the recorders we use - a comp where a recorder like the r09hr is tested at 35 and 40, with the 40 results raised in post to match the gain.  Or 0 vs. -6 on the 7xx.

Given how much we spend, and how much effort we put into our recordings, details like this can be hugely important.  The difference between 7 and 8 on the r09 is a big deal, but without testing you'd never know.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 06:26:21 PM »
^^^
Truth.

I run the R-09s at 8 if I have to, but prefer being in the 9-15 zone just to be safe.  But that's going on gut-level instinct, not based on listening tests.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com