Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone uses the Fostex FR2-LE "Mobile Recording Package" - Advice needed  (Read 2363 times)

Offline deadgarret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hey all!

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if I write sg wrong.

I want to buy some stuff, to record band rehearsals some better quality, than my mobilephone.. :P

I read much about the possible choices, and tending to choose the Fostex FR2LE, but i don't have any kind of gear yet, so I need to buy 2 mics too.
I found this nice "mobile recording package", for a 100 bucks more. Anyone tried theese mics (MXL 993 Condenser Mics Stereo Pair)? As my budget is quite low it would be great to find 2 usable mics in this pricerange. Are they worth the 100 bucks more.

Any advice would be appriciated!
And sorry for my bad english, I'm writing from Hungary. ::)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
i dont know anything about those mics, but the fr2le is a solid machine with very decent preamps. it would be a good place to start for your application. do it. report your findings.  :)
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
The best headphones for the FR-2LE are really the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II as they are low impedance an *very* efficient.

Battery portables don't like inefficient or higher impedance headphones very much.

To be honest, keeping the price down, I would go for the FR-2LE + HD 25-1 II + a matched pair of Røde NT5 (or NT55) - I think that would be the best value for money.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
To be honest, keeping the price down, I would go for the FR-2LE + HD 25-1 II + a matched pair of Røde NT5 (or NT55) - I think that would be the best value for money.

I like that recommendation! I am saving for the NT5s and I know many pleased people with the Rode line.

(thanks for the very informative PM, John. Hope the CDs are perfect for your customer)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline deadgarret

• Taperssection Newbie
Thanks for the advice, maybe I'll give it a try, if i can collect the money.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Thanks for the advice, maybe I'll give it a try, if i can collect the money.

Go search on ebay for the fostex fr2le and you will be surprised to find them for less than $600 new. Go to bhphotovideo.com and seach for the rode nt5's and you will find them for $315. Many others may recommend the Busman mods with all the caps but that is $200+ more. It is how much YOU are willing to spend and more importantly, how much you are willing to tape.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com