Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Interconnects?  (Read 22546 times)

Offline pyiteac

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Best Interconnects?
« on: August 01, 2008, 12:38:47 AM »
What do you think is the best interconnects?

I have a set of 1' Zaolla Silver's  to connect my CMC6 bodies to my V2 and a set of Kimber Kables Tonik's to go RCA from my V2 to my (with a RCA>1/8" adapter) MR-1. 

I very happy with this set up but are there better interconnects out there for the money?  I know you can spend a ton of money on cables ($1000+ for 1.5' Kimber KS-1030).  What else is out there?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:40:39 AM by pyiteac »
Mics: Schoeps MK4>KCY (with MK41/MK21/MK8's on call)
Pre:  Schoeps VMS02ib 
Interconnects:  Kimber Kable
Recorder:  Korg Mr-1

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best Interconnects?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:22:59 PM »
depends on your ears
my ears don't justify spending $1000 on a cable
my $100 dogstars i think sound just as good as many more expensive cables
your ears might be able to tell a difference though
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »

One that passes signal.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »

One that passes signal.

x2
 ;D

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 08:00:49 PM »
Interconnects are not that hard to build.  It is fun, you save money and learn a new trade.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline pyiteac

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 12:45:09 AM »

One that passes signal.

True but do you think the quality of the interconnect will affect the final sound of your recording?  I'm a firm believer that it will.  It's like fighting a house fire with a garden hose.  It will put water on it but will it get the job done?
Mics: Schoeps MK4>KCY (with MK41/MK21/MK8's on call)
Pre:  Schoeps VMS02ib 
Interconnects:  Kimber Kable
Recorder:  Korg Mr-1

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 11:55:06 AM »
copper

I was going to say gold alloy  :D
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »

One that passes signal.

True but do you think the quality of the interconnect will affect the final sound of your recording?  I'm a firm believer that it will.  It's like fighting a house fire with a garden hose.  It will put water on it but will it get the job done?

There are too many other variables that make more of an impact than the cable.  Besides, it all comes down to personal preference in the end anyway, just like everything else in the audio world.

Personally I don't buy the silver hype.  I'm perfectly happy with high grade Mogami cable.  My clients are happy and that's all that matters to me. 

There's something to be said about buying cable that's well constructed, well shielded, etc. of course.  I would prefer Mogami or Canare over Hosa, but at the end of the day if it gets a clean signal from point A to point B, it's done it's job in my book.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »

One that passes signal.

This is an age old argument. That has never been proven to my ears. Good cables produce good signals.. That is true but in my mind we are talking about basic cable construction. Any good cable with good shield and good materials will pass the signal just as good as any super duper expensive cable will. If the "cable guys" lol... could prove otherwise they would be millionaires.. But they cant nobody has ever done a test to prove it * I am talking about listening tests here.

The main huge problem with testing cables is this.. How can you switch them in and out of a system super fast so that one can hear the difference.. We all think our memory is very good when it comes to sound but that's not true when it comes to perceived differences. We can be fooled into thinking there is a difference when there is not. I still challenge anyone to do a simple test...

Lets take a cd player and a recorder with 3 pairs of cables and do a double blind test... I am sure if the magic cables make that much of a difference we should be able to hear it. Even with a cd player and a recorder. But again nobody has taken me up on this challenge..

Don't waste your money on cables. Get well made cables with good wire * mogami * belden * canare * and call it a day. And your interconnects or connectors are only as good as the pins on you mics or the jacks in your gear. And the best cable in the world is not going to make your signal any better then a good belden or mogami cable will.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 01:26:21 PM »

Don't waste your money on cables. Get well made cables with good wire * mogami * belden * canare * and call it a day. And your interconnects or connectors are only as good as the pins on you mics or the jacks in your gear. And the best cable in the world is not going to make your signal any better then a good belden or mogami cable will.

Chris

Agreed 100%

No one has ever given me quantifiable proof that "high-end" cables do anything different than properly made interconnects.
And that goes double for digital interconnects.

One side note, however, I have found that applying this stuff to connectors can really even out the tone, extend dynamics, and make the sound quality more musical:
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »
Make some yourself.
It's really not hard.
I made some silvers when I switched from canare.
No noticeable difference that I can tell.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 06:01:50 PM »
The main huge problem with testing cables is this.. How can you switch them in and out of a system super fast so that one can hear the difference..

Like this: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,53904.msg703748.html#msg703748 

I still challenge anyone to do a simple test...
Chris

I still hold open my offer to anyone who would like come over for an afternoon of listening and I'll gladly repeat this test and please bring as many as you want of your own pairs of cables to try.

Don't get me wrong Chris, I take no issue with your statement that you have never heard a difference and I agree with most of your statements regarding quality.  However I have heard a difference in my system.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 11:39:29 PM »

Don't get me wrong Chris, I take no issue with your statement that you have never heard a difference and I agree with most of your statements regarding quality.  However I have heard a difference in my system.

If nothing else, you are in good company.
If you read a copy of Audiophile, or attend a high-end show you will find many who will agree with you.

Personally, I have never heard a difference once a somewhat basic minimum standard is reached on a 3 foot interconnect.

To my knowledge, no one has delivered a spectrograph, waveform, or other piece of concrete physical evidence to show that any cable can deliver on the promises many make.
I have read metallurgical analysis, electromagnetic analysis, etc. of many brands with special shapes and kinds of wire and none seem to deliver a measurable end-result.
We are able to slice and dice an audio-level signal with great precision these days.
"Seeing" what we hear isn't a futuristic science, it has been done for decades, with improvements all along the way.
If spending a week in the lab could demonstrate that an interconnect is worth $1000, I'm sure that we would not have to look to hard to find that report.
I am reasonably sure that the "magic" cable doesn't exist, but always keep an open mind.

If you are anywhere near NYC, I'll take you up on the interconnect challenge.
I have a trip to two showrooms, on in Manhattan, and the other in Philly to listen a bit deeper.
Both have salesmen who absolutely insist that I will hear the difference.
While I doubt that I will hear anything, the showrooms will be a great way to spend a rainy day!
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 11:14:23 AM »
just for the sake of purpose...., I like to keep the wire all the same as much as possible.
I am a believer in wire making a difference.  No need to spend shitloads, but quality construction makes a difference (and i'm not talking about jack-asses like myself re-packaging an existing cable), but the cable construction from the ground up.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »
Nothing wrong with re-purposing good old wire, and I hear that your construction is good, so I wouldn't be too down on your Hydras, Nick.

OK, how about this for a wire tweak!?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-TESLA-SHIELD-1-PERSONAL-ENERGY-ENHANCEMENT-DEVICE_W0QQitemZ140253341536QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1277QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com