Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best batteries/CF cards for FR2-LE  (Read 7957 times)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Best batteries/CF cards for FR2-LE
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
I'm thinking I used those in my R-09 once before, but you're right, they are pricey!  Thanks, MSTaper 8)
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline T140V

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • get in groove and let the good times roll!
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 01:08:20 PM »
I'm thinking I used those in my R-09 once before, but you're right, they are pricey!  Thanks, MSTaper 8)
Nice rig setup, MStaper. I have the exact same setup and I really enjoy useing it. I use Sandisk Ultra 4gb cards with no issues whatsoever. I have had issues with powering this rig however. I started with AA alk duracells and found this rig to just chew em up, 2-3 hours recording time. Then put in some Energizer lith rechageables and these worked really well, 5-6 hours. I then got a Tamiya 7.2v/3800 batt, charged it for 24 hours and watched in horror as my deck went from a full charge to shut down in about 10 minutes at a Slightly Stoopid/ Pepper show, greatly dissapointing my 15 yo son as I had no backup power that nite.  I believe that 7.2v tam batt is defective. The tam batt is the way to go though for sure. My advice is have a backup power system ready if needed. I now keep my 110v power supply with me as well as both the Tamiya batt and the aa cartridge. Had I had the 110v power supply I could have gotten power fron the board for the Pepper show. I think the Avant mics draw more power than others although I have no solid proof of this. Just seems other folks are getting longer record times than I'm seeing. Hope this helps, hapy recording!
then: Nak 300's>D6/Pmd430  now: AKG 460/ck63, ck8>OCM R4 Pro

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 10:28:23 PM »
Thanks man, I went through a couple sets of Duracell alkalines and learned that the hard way (died during show, missed a couple minutes). I have some 3000 mAh Ni-Mh AA rechargables that I'm using now. I need to set up the rig at home and let it run to see what I can get. I'm guessing I can get 3-4 hours, but I swapped them the other night between bands just to be on the safe side.  ;)  I love the rig so far.

MSTaper
Edirol UA-5

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 10:09:41 AM »
Thanks man, I went through a couple sets of Duracell alkalines and learned that the hard way (died during show, missed a couple minutes). I have some 3000 mAh Ni-Mh AA rechargables that I'm using now. I need to set up the rig at home and let it run to see what I can get. I'm guessing I can get 3-4 hours, but I swapped them the other night between bands just to be on the safe side.  ;)  I love the rig so far.

MSTaper

MSTaper,

Can you link me to the batteries you're using? I'm interested in getting rechargeable batteries but I want to know what has worked best for you and your rig.

Thanks
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 06:46:58 PM »
rastasean, I'm pretty sure it was this place.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7729

I'll check again when I get home. They came from Hong Kong, but actually arrived fairly quickly, a week to 10 days, and I had to sign for them. Postage wasn't bad as I recall. I'll look for the receipt at home.

I have not run the recorder with phantom power at home to see how long they go, but I will.

Hope this helps. MSTaper
Edirol UA-5

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »
from new egg
I have 3
8GB Transcend CF 133x
they were like under $40 EACH
the are recommended by Fostex

check out the team board threads
ther is some mention of batteries there
I run
some4200MAh NiMh 7.2v batteries

I've got 3 of them
but... you really need to charge and FULLY discharge them over 4x
so they don't get memory
1 I have will only power the deck with phantom for like 2 minutes
bad me

the charger is a float charger, but it does not discharge the batts completely before recharging them , which seem like if you could find one with a discharge function
that would be a +

more soon
glad you're on the "team"

peace
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline kozakz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 07:27:46 AM »
Fostex recommends 120x Transcends, not 133x on their site. I had bad experience with my 133x Transcend 8gb. I switched to A-Data speedy 8gb and I have never experienced the small click I had with the Transcend. Maybe it was a one time only bad card who knows.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 08:51:44 AM »
Fostex recommends 120x Transcends, not 133x on their site. I had bad experience with my 133x Transcend 8gb. I switched to A-Data speedy 8gb and I have never experienced the small click I had with the Transcend. Maybe it was a one time only bad card who knows.
oh
but I figure that the faster to write 133x would be better than the slower to write 120x
but
what the heck do I know
?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 10:24:33 AM »
Thanks guys. . A good 8 gb card would be good, but most are still expensive (for me).

;D

The 8GB card I bought for my FR-2 in late 2006 was £200 - the same card today is less than £40 - very cheap.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 04:39:17 PM »
oh
but I figure that the faster to write 133x would be better than the slower to write 120x
but
what the heck do I know
?

no not always
i can't remember why
but i know the microtrack was one of the decks that didn't like fast cards
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 06:26:37 PM »
I'm getting about four hours out of the 3000 mAh Maxxus rechargable AAs but I have some 7.2v Tamiya type batteries and a charger on the way! I'm using a 4gb Sandisk Ultra II (running the same in SD format in the R-09). I think I'll get one of the A-Data 8gb Speedy cards from New Egg so I can record some 24/88.  MSTaper
Edirol UA-5

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 10:04:04 PM »
I bought a 8g Adata card of new egg for $28. I bought this form radio shack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103207&cp=&sr=1&kw=rc+battery&origkw=rc+battery&pg=1&parentPage=search and this  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2147160&cp=&sr=1&kw=rc+battery&origkw=rc+battery&pg=1&parentPage=search

Ran lat night at OAR and the opener and the battery never showed that I had drained anything from it.

Todd

Offline willndmb

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »
I bought a 8g Adata card of new egg for $28. I bought this form radio shack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103207&cp=&sr=1&kw=rc+battery&origkw=rc+battery&pg=1&parentPage=search and this  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2147160&cp=&sr=1&kw=rc+battery&origkw=rc+battery&pg=1&parentPage=search

Ran lat night at OAR and the opener and the battery never showed that I had drained anything from it.

Todd

typical fr2le
but when it does go down it goes down fast
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 01:38:27 AM »
typical fr2le
but when it does go down it goes down fast

I've run 3.5 / 4 hrs this weekend and I didn't see any battery decrease for the first 3 hrs, then it drops like a rock. Between 3.25 and 4, it went down almost 60%. (2500mah AA nimh)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 03:24:22 PM »
Somewhere back on ts someone posted a response they got from A-Data stating what their (A-Data's) classifications corresponded to speedwise. My searching for that post has not yielded the post I seek. Does anyone recall where that post is or what the speeds were? I vaguely recall an A-Data Speedy as actually being in the 40-60x range. Can anyone help with the A-Data speeds in **x terms?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com