Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Static on transfer  (Read 3187 times)

busknuckle

• Trade Count: (0)
Static on transfer
« on: December 29, 2003, 05:47:38 PM »

I bought an M-Audio card from a fellow board member (thanks again). I'd like to get this set going so that I can do DAT>PC transfers when that time comes. I had some issues with speed difference between the tape and what was transferred to PC, but I got those issues resolved by clearing up driver issues (it wasn't a mismatched sample rate DAT vs. recording software/soundcard sample rate setting).
So last night I got a successful test transfer with this setup:

M1>Pro-digital 7 pin (coax)>dio 2448>cdwave

The speed was good but I had some static on playback of the file. It isn't a ton of static, but it is noticeable at higher volumes. What is the most likely culprit?

-resource issue?
-cable issue?
-etc?

I'm running Windows ME. I have 256mb RAM. A 933 mHz processor. The 2448 is the ONLY soundcard I have installed. Should I consider using it only for transfers and use another card for playback?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 05:01:21 AM by Bill »

busknuckle

Re:Static on transfer
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 05:01:59 AM »
any feedback at all would be welcome...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 07:00:33 AM »
never used cdwave for recording, but that may be it!!!!PM me for another program!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 08:35:59 AM »
I'm betting either a cable, or...when's the last time you cleaned your DAT heads and/or had your heads aligned?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 08:48:01 AM »
Ive experienced this in the past with my Audiophile 2496...dropped back to a earlier driver version and the static went away.

cant remember exactly, but version x.26 or x.27 was rock stable

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 09:07:22 AM »
I'm betting either a cable, or...when's the last time you cleaned your DAT heads and/or had your heads aligned?

agree with brian, clean your heads with a new cleaning tape or with some tape head cleaner and a soft cotton swab stick. if it doesn't help, i bet your heads are out of alignment.

I had a similar problem a while back...racked by brain trying different settings on the m-audio driver panel, dat, cleaned heads etc... in the end i took it to paul at pro-digital. he said the heads were out of alignment.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 09:56:05 AM »
if you don't hear the static on the tapes when listening from the dat player it was recorded on....it may be a cable issue.

and a soft cotton swab stick

I'm not sure if a cotton swab is good for your heads. I would use a non-abrasive cleaning cloth.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

busknuckle

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 12:17:42 PM »
thanks all...

I don't think it's the DAT deck...I just had it serviced at pro-dig about a month ago. The static isn't on the tape itself. It's only on playback of the recorded WAV file. I suppose it could be the cable...but I've used it for M1>DA20-MKII transfers without issues.

It seems more and more like a resource issue or a driver issue. Thanks guys.

Offline phishn

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a lizard!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 01:01:20 PM »
I just had this happen when i tried to use a piece of crap c-media AOpen card thats supposed to be bit perfect.  First transfer...entire right channel had static/noise.  Second transfer..sounded fine through computer and headphones..put it in a high end system..blaaahhh..sounds like crap.  Added some kind of diginoise/brickwalling effect.  Went back to the old soundcard...transferred fine.  I'm willing to bet its the soundcard or a driver issue.
AKG391/92/93's-> Hydra Silver XLR's -> UA-5(Oade warm mod) -> Microtrack II,JB3

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 02:52:44 PM »
I just had this happen when i tried to use a piece of crap c-media AOpen card thats supposed to be bit perfect.  First transfer...entire right channel had static/noise.  Second transfer..sounded fine through computer and headphones..put it in a high end system..blaaahhh..sounds like crap.  Added some kind of diginoise/brickwalling effect.  Went back to the old soundcard...transferred fine.  I'm willing to bet its the soundcard or a driver issue.

he he he....trivia time:

What do the DIO 2448, Aopen mentioned above, Zoltrix Nightingale and a few other inexpensive 'bit perfect' cards all have in common?
They're different implementations of the CMedia 8738 chip.  Capable of bit perfect s/pdif transfers when properly setup.  The problems you describe are common and fixed by changing drivers, and if you're having dropouts, by lowering the graphics card acceleration setting in Windows.  The soundcard is sensitive to the extra bus traffic that occurs when the acceleration is maxed out.  The location of this setting depends on your OS and I don't know ME.  Probably under display properties, settings, advanced.  Back off on the slider.

I also found it best to leave your computer alone while transferring with this card and turn off all apps.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 05:52:12 PM »
i know im a little late but figure id respond anyway.  I agree with skalinder, its probably a cable issue, I had the same problem and I unplugged everything and blew on the cables , reconnected and the static went away.  Let us know when you fix it and what the problem was
481(3)>722

busknuckle

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 09:57:33 PM »
just thought I'd bring this up to date...

I recalled reading somewhere that the Dio cards sometimes had issues locking on to the signals coming from Sony portables. I decided to change 2 things...

I dumped Pro Tools (free edition from manufacturer) and re-installed an old (less than savory) copy of Soundforge. I also moved my DA20-MKII over to the computer and used that. Results: no more issues.

So I guess it could have been either the deck, the cable, or "other" but I got it working.

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 10:20:47 PM »
Good.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com