Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mic sensitivity  (Read 1984 times)

Offline carpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
mic sensitivity
« on: January 21, 2009, 12:23:21 PM »
A question about mic's output level.
I've had the possibility to try a Shure stereo mic, VP88 with my edirol r09hr.  I'm not planning to get one due to very low output (0,5 mv) and not so low self noise (24 db).
Apart from these data I've tried the Shure in my studio with my piano, and I was pleased with the results.
Using RH09 mic in, low sens, with the gain almost all the way up (70 on 80)  I get a good tone with peak at about -6 db (I know also -12 could be ok). I didn't notice so much noise,I'd say less than Edirol on board mics at about the same pressure level (which I obtain at about 40-45)

Here's the question: given the low sensitivity of this mic if I choose a stereo like rode nt4, which has a 12.5 mV output and lower self noise, will the results be evident in terms of more gain and even less noise?
(I know this doesn't tell anything about sound quality of the recording; it looks like  the Rode nt4 and the new AT8022 can be the choice in terms of price and battery/phantom option, but I would like to give them a try, or at least read some reviews of the AT.)
thank you
c

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: mic sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 04:42:04 AM »
Here's the question: given the low sensitivity of this mic if I choose a stereo like rode nt4, which has a 12.5 mV output and lower self noise, will the results be evident in terms of more gain and even less noise?

Yes. I use an NT4 + R09HR quite a lot (for ambient field-recording). Most often with a MixPre inbetween tho, however the limiting factor here will be the R09HR internal mic preamps not the noise from the mic. What are you recording?

BTW: @ ~480g/17oz the NT4 is quite heavy, will it be on a stand or will you be blimping it? The AT8022 @ ~247g looks very interesting...something else to buy? :)

digifish
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:47:01 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
Re: mic sensitivity
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 07:19:08 AM »
I agree that At8022 could be a choice, but I am a bit suspicious after reading specs on Audio-Technica website . The frequency response is 20-15000 (while previous AT 825 is 30-20.000) and SPL and Dynamic range seem not exceptional, at least in battery operated mode (about 100 db of dynamic range).
I record mostly my own concerts (classical, solo piano or small ensembles), so I don't have "stealth" needs but only simplicity and portability. Piano is very demanding in dynamic terms, and I wonder wethere AT couldd go well; on the other side I know is much lighter than Rode.
I am looking around (without hurry) for a stereo mike with double power option (phantom / battery).
It seems that there aren't many choices yet on the market.
thank you
c

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com