Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: On Stage Taping  (Read 4678 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
On Stage Taping
« on: January 03, 2004, 03:15:05 PM »
Never done it.  Found out I might be able to try, weather permitting, at Garaj tonite.  How high do you run?  2-3'?  Think my only problem might be finding a stand low enough.  Only got my 17' bogen, that is 3+' at the smallest.  I can clamp on lower than that but that seems like a lot of stand to have on the stage.  Maybe the lip would be better.

-Kevin

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
Re:On Stage Taping
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 07:29:39 PM »
You can pick up a small stand ~1' at guitar center. I need to get a pair of stands - one for onstage and one for coffeeshop/small club/bar.

You put a bogen up there and they might shoot you.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 09:33:19 AM »
No they won't...I put a bogen on stage all the time at garaj, they are just happy you are there!

D

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 10:34:40 AM »
Hmm ... I should try onstage when they swing through Northern VA.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 04:08:36 PM »
what are some typical mic configs for on stage. it seems that most people who have the ability to have multi polar patterns with LD's go M/S. And most people with only cards go either XY or ORTF depending on the size of the stage. any other suggestions? The band i tape the most has an unbelievable sound on stage and and puts HEAVY vocals in the moniters. i'm thinking that onstage with these guys might yield some great results in a few of the clubs/bars they play in.

Thanks,
Brian

EDIT: I have ADK TL's so i can do pretty much every config imaginable ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 04:10:41 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 04:15:46 PM »
It really depends on the stage setup of the band. Cards x/y is pretty standard. I'm sold on spaced omni's. Have you had a chance to use omni's yet? Once you hear them you'll want to run omni's as much as possible!

I think ORTF may be too wide, if you want to try near-coincident with directional mics DIN would work well.

One tip, don't setup too close to the drums... they will easily be the loudest thing on the stage.

Have you heard my Speaking In Tongues BT that I recently put up?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 04:24:26 PM »
yeah the mics would definitely be closer to the bassist more than anything else because he is the softest  player and has the most vocals and keys in his monitors. haven't had the chance to run spaced omnis yet. i don't have long enough quality XLR cables to get any sort of decent spacing with ample stand height. spaced omnis on stage though seems to make the most sense now because you could have a different mic on a different player's monitor.

as for the speaking in toungues tape, sorry tim i haven't...been away from the BT thing for bit becuase i need to clear up HD space as well as tansfer/upload the many concerts that i have gotten behind on.  i read some posts about it though. said it sounded real nice!

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 04:31:36 PM »
I talked with scott gordon about onstage techniques a bit one night and he liked to use subcards (which you don't have) or omni's. With non traditional stage setups omni's are much more versatile.

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 08:17:48 PM »
onstage can be tough with a vocal heavy band, vocals tend not to come out too well. I would try lip of stage.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2004, 10:03:12 PM »
Never done it.  Found out I might be able to try, weather permitting, at Garaj tonite.  How high do you run?  2-3'?  Think my only problem might be finding a stand low enough.  Only got my 17' bogen, that is 3+' at the smallest.  I can clamp on lower than that but that seems like a lot of stand to have on the stage.  Maybe the lip would be better.

-Kevin

so, did you do it???
EDIT: I see your post about dropouts...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 10:05:06 PM by Alex "swampy" Herd »

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 01:14:14 AM »
The first set and half of the second sound great.  Run just right of center to get away from the drums.  AKG 393s, basically DIN...maybe a touch wider angle.

-Kevin

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 03:38:01 PM »
gonna be running onstage for 2 Big In Japan shows this weekend with TL's.
the way the band sets up M/S is out of the question unless I want only drums and crowd. have had good success running 391's DIN in the past with this band.
might have to try the spaced omnis...

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 03:53:28 PM »
gonna be running onstage for 2 Big In Japan shows this weekend with TL's.
the way the band sets up M/S is out of the question unless I want only drums and crowd. have had good success running 391's DIN in the past with this band.
might have to try the spaced omnis...

Be careful when placing omnis out on the edge of the stage.  I've had a few recordings ruined by loud fans against the stage, very close to the mics.  If you use omnis on stage, try to keep them several feet from the edge, but be careful of loud drums or guitar amps that may wash out the other instruments.  I've found placing omnis on stage one of the more difficult taping challenges - seems easy, but getting the right mix is pretty tough.

cards x/y 90-110* @ stage lip is my standard "on stage" setup.  M/S if I feel motivated to do the post mix to stereo.  
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 03:58:51 PM »
hmmm, I can put the mics anywhere on stage I feel like, so thats not a problem. will probably stick with DIN or ORTF

the water's clean and innocent

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004, 04:42:20 PM »
I went ADK A51s LEs on stage last sunday for the first time (card only) with a slightly turned out XY, little wider than normal, only to catch the sax player way off to the left...  

It was my first onstage...  It was great...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Tim

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 04:48:18 PM »
Craig makes an important point... placing omni's on stage can be difficult!

One suggetsion is to get there early for soundcheck and just stand at the front of the stage and listen. move around and listen for the spot.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 05:02:23 PM »
Why not subcards?

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2004, 05:04:39 PM »
I think subs would be great if the band was setup for it. the recent show I did, the band utilized a creative setup. Something with drums in the middle, subs at the front of the stage... mmmm sweet. I'd think you would need a wide stage and setup... but I'm just guessing.

most folks don't have subs though, the ADK's don't have that setting.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2004, 02:42:24 PM »
Hmm ... I should try onstage when they swing through Northern VA.

yep.  best tapes I've ever made  

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=7008&from=dbetreeDetails
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com