Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what is a good recording unit?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline slapshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
what is a good recording unit?
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:05:40 PM »
right now i have  a creative nomad jukebox and i am having problems getting to to connect it to my computer so i end up having to play the recordings and using a mini to min cable to connect it to my computer and i basically ruins any audio quality i have i am considering just buying something else. i was just wondering if you guys had some good suggestions. right now i am considering  buying a cheap old laptop and loading audacity on it and just lining it straight from my preamp i would like to stay digital and inexpensive. any help would be greatly appreciated also i have tried notmad manager but it recently stoped working and the customer service guys will not respond to my emails thanks in advance

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: what is a good recording unit?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:21:58 PM »
what do you count as "inexpensive"?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:27:52 PM »
Does your preamp have a digital output?

If so...I would get an MicroTrack II

If not...a Edirol R-09HR.

Both use flash cards as memory. You will never have to worry about transfering. I'm pretty sure both will show up as a drive (no need to install drivers). Even if they don't you can use a card reader and don't even have to hook the recorder directly to your computer.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline slapshot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »
what do you count as "inexpensive"?

i can barely afford $100 dollars right now

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:15:40 AM »
i can barely afford $100 dollars right now

That really puts almost everything out of reach... Maybe you could find a used iriver h120 on ebay for about that much.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 01:28:43 AM »
You might want to try uninstalling and re-installing the nomad drivers and software.

Seems like it just goes wacko every once in a while.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 04:43:26 AM »
You might want to try uninstalling and re-installing the nomad drivers and software.

Seems like it just goes wacko every once in a while.

Yeah, that usually helps. I jumped through a lot of hoops trying to get Windows to recognize the JB3. Frustrating - I know!
Wiping all the drivers and software does it, plus connecting/disconnecting the firewire cable and removing any other FW units. Notmad manager is good, once you get it to work.

Regarding a replacement bit bucket: what pre are you running? I assume you've been feeding the JB3 with digi?

If you're really on a shoestring budget, pick up a used Hi-MD recorder on ebay. With a bit of luck, you can grab the older models for $60 or so. Most of the sellers are in Europe, but if you're patient you can find something closer to you. One example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260367570248

Check my overview of the going rates for each model, here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,109256.msg1459621.html#msg1459621
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:15:10 AM »
I'm with Mike B.  Instead of buying a new recorder -- assuming the Jukebox otherwise works for you -- put some more time in trying to fix the connectivity problem you're having.  Try to isolate the problem.  Un- and re-install the drivers.  Try a different, known-good cable.  Use a different, known-good USB/firewire port.  Connect to a different computer.  Do it with the Jukebox on battery power, then try it with the wallwart plugged in.

If you're working with a JB3 and having trouble finding the drivers, they're on TS (whether or not they're the latest and greatest drivers, firmware, etc., I don't know, but they always worked for me):

http://www.taperssection.com/reference/software/jb3/

Then come back and let us know precisely what you've tried and what the results were, and we'll see if we can help further.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:04 AM »
add another person for working on fixing the (computer) drivers issue you are facing with the JB3. They can be a pain, but they do work. Please check out that link Brian posted, maybe all you need the WHQL driver ??

But if you are really dead set on buying something else, and sticking at/around the $100 mark (which really does limit your choices), then I'd have to suggest starting looking for used iRivers in the yard sale section, either the H120/H140 or the H320/H340 models. I'd consider selling my H320 to you actually, however it's my only portable that plays flacs....  :)

Offline slapshot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 12:49:22 AM »
thanks for all the help. i actually managed to get an old cheap laptop for 100 bucks, and i put audacity on it. now my recordings sound much better. i just got home from recording a hardcore show and i no longer have the hassle of editing the 15 min tracks together. if any one is interested in my old nomad jukebox one let me know i took great care of it but i am sick of the connectivity problems. im still going to miss it but the laptop i found better suits my needs.

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 01:43:02 AM »
if youre still in the running for a deck, I picked up an iRiver (used to have a JB3) a few months ago, and never looked back. Assuming you have a pre (which Im not sure you do or not) this deck is great. 20 GB HD and with a good batt can run for a LONG time compared to the JB3. Also, the batts are easier to find and cheaper...a lil more difficult to install, but cheaper and easier to find...
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com