Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MD -> PC  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Bassistreid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
MD -> PC
« on: January 06, 2004, 09:15:19 PM »
Hey

I have a question. How do you transfer a mindisc to a computer? A USB link, I'm guessing, but if you don't have one, can you just go and buy a USB link at a store and use that, I mean, would that work? Does the brand of the MD recorder matter at all?

Anyway, that's one of my questions. The other is: when tranfering MD -> PC, is the media in WAV format?

Thanks for any help...

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:MD -> PC
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 10:37:30 PM »
been asked many man of times...  no you can't transfer via usb unfortunatly, i figured there would be a hack for it, but i havn't seen one. to learn more about MD stuff check http://www.minidisc.org  i've run analog in's for transfering from MD > PC via the mini mic input.  with decent results.  the only way is to have a home deck that has digital outputs, and get a digital soundcard and transfer that way..  good luck.  

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 11:52:57 PM »
Yep it's true. No USB upload (maybe with some newer products coming out soon but I wouldn't count on it).

The answer to your other question is the audio is on the MD in a format called ATRAC which is like a high bitrate mp3. Since you are just re-recording the contents when you "transfer" from md, the resulting format is whatever you choose. Most commonly that's 16 bit 44.1k wav and that's what I'd recommend using.

M@
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

jimmc

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 12:31:34 AM »
Another (yet analog) option for transfering from MD is to get a stand along CD burner, ie. Philips CDR-765, 775. That is what I was using. I think you can pick one up for around $100-$150 or so on ebay. Also any of the other brands will work as well.

After you burn 1x from MD > Philips CDR, you can upload the files, as .wav, to you PC using EAC, then a program such as cdwav to mark the tracks.

Now that I just picked up a JB3 I no longer have to worry about analog transfers. thank god.
Hope this helps some,
jimmc

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 12:32:42 AM »
hmm i was always under the impression that md is 44.1khz

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 01:02:12 AM »
MD is 16/44.1, but the previous post was saying you'd have to set your recording software in your PC to record it as such, so that you could then put it to CDR.

I've been using a Pioneer MJD707 > optical > Philips CDR870, then just EAC'ing the discs to get them into my PC. Works well for MD conversions. There's another program that can supposedly automate the recording process from your NetMD deck through the analog connections of your MD deck and soundcard. The Program is called Win nMD, something like that. You can check it out here.

A popular option has been to get a home deck with optical outputs and connect that to a digital soundcard, that way your recordings are preserved as good as you're going to get them. (ATRAC is already a lossy format, no need to throw a generation of loss in there.)

Lastly, there is a way to do a digital dump of the ATRAC data on your audio MD into your PC without any soundcard issues, much like using a DDS drive with DAT audio tapes. You can find a Sony MDH-10 on eBay and use the EDL MiniDisc Transfer Editor to rip the audio from your MD to your PC at 5x. NOTE: I do NOT reccomend this option, the cost far outweighs the benefit of recording to MDs in the first place. I just thought I'd pass along this information for those that thought that better-than-realtime transfer from MDs were not possible - they are, they're just not very feasible for the common MD'er.

Offline Bassistreid

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 01:51:47 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful info. Sorry I didn't run a search before making a new topic. I asked this question because I recently ordered an MD recorder cheap so I wanted to see what the transfer to PC was.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 02:00:24 PM »
usually it's a MD deck optical out to a sound card on your PC, usually ;)

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 12:10:29 AM »
I had the same issues I got awesome quality recordings but it lost quality when transferring with the minidiscs analog out.  I just ordered a Sony MXD-D40 (awesome deal at 199.00 brand new) and connect that to my creative audigy platnium ex sound card(119.00 on sale at comp usa last week) Wjich i got for 19.00 out the door with  little deal the comp usa sales rep let me know about.  An extra 220.00 I wasn't expecting to pay when i bought my minidisc recorder.  So along with a good pair of mics and battery box my whole rig cost 700.00.  Not too bad considering i have a sweet sound card for my computer games/music and a nice cd/ md recordable deck to add to my home theatre system.  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com