Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with Recorder purchase  (Read 10521 times)

Offline Jacklaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Help with Recorder purchase
« on: March 19, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »
Hi guys-

Love the site, alot of good info here. I've searched and found numerous threads on different recorders, but not very many that compare multiple recorders and give an overall assessment of the "best" one. My friend has a Microtrack II and I have personally witnessed two concerts where the recorder crashed while trying to save the file after the show, so I know I don't want that one. He swears up and down that it doesn't NORMALLY do that, but I don't care. I've seen it happen twice and they were both recordings of two concerts that I really wanted a copy of. So F*** the Microtrack...

I think I've narrowed my choice down to 3 picks, but feel free to chime in if there's something else that you think is superior!

Edirol R-09 (good reviews on Amazon and here)

Sony PCM-D50 (also has good reviews and I love the sturdyness and ruggedness)

And the Zoom H4 (also has good reviews)

What I will be using it for:

Typically- Rock concert SBD patches. 96/24, and editing on a mac.

But I like the idea of having built-in mic's just in case I get turned away from the board patch, plus the mic's make the unit more versatile overall in different situations.

The type of inputs aren't much of a big deal-breaker, since I have adaptors for any situation, but I would like mini-TOSLINK...

I need controls over both the left and right channels independently and also a device that will record for at least 6 hours in 96/24.

And most importantly, it has to be sturdy and RELIABLE. I can't have it crash on me when I'm saving my recording!

Does anyone have any feedback on this? Can anyone tell me which one I should get? The price isn't really an issue, just want the absolute best option for around 500 bucks.

Thanks!

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: Help with Recorder purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 01:45:48 PM »
Hi guys-

Love the site, alot of good info here. I've searched and found numerous threads on different recorders, but not very many that compare multiple recorders and give an overall assessment of the "best" one. My friend has a Microtrack II and I have personally witnessed two concerts where the recorder crashed while trying to save the file after the show, so I know I don't want that one. He swears up and down that it doesn't NORMALLY do that, but I don't care. I've seen it happen twice and they were both recordings of two concerts that I really wanted a copy of. So F*** the Microtrack...

No opinions here on which of those three recorders is best but I too have personally witnessed people have problems with Microtrack II's and have heard about others. Might have been operator error but I really don't know. I wasn't impressed. I have heard great recordings done with them though.

Not a personal opinion but based on what I've read here and there more people like the R-09HR (R-09 is the first generation, get an HR edition) and D50 than like the H4 (now H4n, the earlier H4 had some issues) but those weren't head to head comparisons. A whole lot of people use the R-09 and R-09HR's, probably more than the other two put together but that may be more because of cost and availability.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 02:18:43 PM »
I am a former R-09 owner and a current D50 owner.  The digi-in of the D50 is nice, making it a 24 bit bucket.  It is very sturdy and I like the built-in mics of it over the R-09.

The R-09HR is the second generation unit and is better built with lower self noise.

I'd steer you towards the D50 for your needs but the deal breaker is that there is not independent L - R gain controls.  I think only the MT's have those, but I have no experience with the Zoom.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Jacklaster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »

No opinions here on which of those three recorders is best but I too have personally witnessed people have problems with Microtrack II's and have heard about others. Might have been operator error but I really don't know. I wasn't impressed. I have heard great recordings done with them though.

Yeah, for sure. When they work, they can sound great. But I wouldn't want to take the chance. Thanks for your input!

I am a former R-09 owner and a current D50 owner.  The digi-in of the D50 is nice, making it a 24 bit bucket.  It is very sturdy and I like the built-in mics of it over the R-09.

The R-09HR is the second generation unit and is better built with lower self noise.

I'd steer you towards the D50 for your needs but the deal breaker is that there is not independent L - R gain controls.  I think only the MT's have those, but I have no experience with the Zoom.

The L-R Gain controls aren't really a deal-breaker, but you have to admit it's nice to have the option. The D50 seems very rugged and sturdy, which is a good thing. Another thing about the Microtrack is how cheap and flimsy it feels. No weight to it. I need my recorder to have some meat on it's bones!

So can anyone compare the R-09HR to the D50? How do these stack up to a Zoom H4?

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 03:31:13 PM »

So can anyone compare the R-09HR to the D50? How do these stack up to a Zoom H4?

Since the consensus seems to be that both the R-09HR and the D50 are good units, I'd compare features that you want. The H4n is relatively new so there may not be much feedback on it yet. There were complaints about digi-noise with the older H4 from some people. I have heard some good recordings from one though and I have heard that some issues were addressed in the new version.

I'd tend to think the D50 would have better internal mics, but that isn't backed by any personal experience. A drawback to me is that it uses Memory Sticks instead of the more common and often on sale SDHC cards. The D50 screams "I'm a recorder" with its Star Trek tricorder appearance whereas the R-09HR looks a bit more innocent, like an MP3 player.

If having controls for each channel is a major concern, you might consider an R-44. It is outside of your $500 price range, it lists for about $900 but I got mine for $738 from Fullcompass. I found a "make an offer" deal on eBay for $750 then called Fullcompass and asked if they could beat that. They did and with free shipping.  The R-44 would give you four channels, two internal mics (probably the same as the R-09HR) and the option of running phantom powered external mics, all in a fairly small unit that can run off batteries. Its great for matrix recordings. What it doesn't have that the three you mention have is a tripod mount socket, if that's a concern. It really isn't designed to be mounted on a stand at all. I've never used the internal mics on my R-44 and from what I've seen, most other folks aren't either. Most seem to be either using it for matrix recordings or running four external mics.

You may not be interested in external mics now, but don't count out the possibility for the future.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Belexes

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
whereas the R-09HR looks a bit more innocent, like an MP3 player.

I think it looks like a shaver. :yack:

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 04:36:15 PM »
Nah, this is an electric razor.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:37:07 PM »
Your hand is sexier though!
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 04:49:02 PM »
I haven't used the R-09HR but I've seen many people say good things about it.  The D50 I own and love it.  The internal preamps are very good and the internal mics are great.  From what I hear the pres on the HR are much improved over the original model.  The D50 gets sick battery life.  Get a couple sets of rechargables and you'll never run out of power.  The main thing about the D50 is it uses prorietary memory sticks but the 4GB Sony sticks are only about $30 now.  It also has 4GB built in which I don't think the HR has any.

Aren't the internal mics on the HR omnis also?  For me that would make it more limited in use if so. 

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
If you want mini-Toslink, then the D50 is definitely the way to go.  It has mini-Toslink inputs and outputs.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Belexes

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Your hand is sexier though!

Males make terrible hand models.  Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with George.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 08:01:26 PM »
I just ordered the new Tascam DR100 and should have it next week.  I think it is worth a look once it comes out.  It is small, around $400 and (hopefully) makes a good recording without any major issues.

Offline Jacklaster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 09:50:55 AM »
I just ordered the new Tascam DR100 and should have it next week.  I think it is worth a look once it comes out.  It is small, around $400 and (hopefully) makes a good recording without any major issues.

Wow, I like this too... Too many choices!!!

Would an 8 or 16gb SDHC card be compatible? If so, this might just be the recorder for me. Does it have independent gain for each channel? I can't find any literature on that...

How are Tascam's mics compared to Sony's?

Also, as for the Zoom H4n, the 4-track feature is awesome in theory. I can't find any literature on whether it can record 24/96 on all 4 channels, or if it is limited to 16/44.1? Doing an immediate matrix would be awesome, but I wouldn't want to compromise the bitrate.
I like the Tascam because of the XLR inputs as well as the line input. I guess Toslink isn't a big deal, I mean how many SBD's am I gonna run into with an optical out? Zilch is my guess.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:41:50 AM by Jacklaster »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »

That one should be a great recorder. As a R-09HR/1/8" plug  user, I don't know much about XLR inputs.
Sorry about my lack of knowledge, but I'm assuming that running the XLR inputs allows the taper to use better mics with better sound quality as opposed to run mic>bb>Line input. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 10:55:56 AM »

That one should be a great recorder. As a R-09HR/1/8" plug  user, I don't know much about XLR inputs.
Sorry about my lack of knowledge, but I'm assuming that running the XLR inputs allows the taper to use better mics with better sound quality as opposed to run mic>bb>Line input. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance

Yes, well ... at least more options.

I'd be curious as to how well its internal mics work. It says it has both omni and cardioid mics. The cards are obvious but the omnis are just two small holes in the case. Maybe that's ok, I dunno.

--
Walter

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com