Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with Recorder purchase  (Read 10519 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help with Recorder purchase
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »
no, because the FR-2LE requires a manual re-start after the recorded file gets to 4gb, it is not a seamless transition from one file to the next.

What an odd implementation.  Probably not an issue for me, because I record at 24/44 or 24/48, and those rare occasions I run 24/96 don't go for more than 2 hours at a stretch.  Looks like I have more homework to do on both the FR2LE and PMD 661.  Thanks, Jason.

That's not too bad for me but what annoys me is that fact you must format the card in order to change the resolution or else it just records at the same resolution until you format. I suppose you could have a couple different cards to solve that issue.

What is it like on the 661?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »
One recorder might have 96kHz, but no good internals (FR-2 LE).

The FR2LE's internals are no good?  That's news to me.

I think sunjan was talking about internal mics attached to the deck.

Exactly, the OP was requesting decent internal mics on his shortlist. Anyway, it was just an example that there's a trade-off whichever recorder you choose. I wasn't endorsing one unit vs. bashing another, that would be beside the point.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
"...you must format the card in order to change the resolution...[FR-2LE]"

Very true, and a good example of different approaches to recording.  The FR-2LE's main audience is ENG.  Keeping settings like the quantization rate on the card allows the studio engineer to set up the recorder in the shop.  In the field, the reporter needs only to know how to turn the machine on, which end of the mic to plug in, and which button starts recording. 

The FR-2LE was introduced in Fall 2006.  It would benefit from a refresh of its design.  Companies like Marantz and Roland/Edirol seem to respond more quickly than Fostex to changing market conditions. 

The FR-2LE's preamp has very low self noise, but doesn't offer as much gain as some competitors do. Its headphone amp is pretty weak, too.  Still, it's is a raging good deal at $440 shipped from an affiliate of Buy.com
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210239336

Flintstone

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 05:51:09 PM »
If you're considering a recorder as large as the FR-2LE, the Marantz PMD661 should also be on your short list.

JasonSobel has prepared the definitive suite of battery tests for the Marantz PMD661.  While delivering phantom power to mics, the battery lasts from less than 3 hours using standard AAs to more than 8 hours using Lithium AAs.  Very useful info!

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,119213.msg1597270.html#msg1597270

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
If you're considering a recorder as large as the FR-2LE, the Marantz PMD661 should also be on your short list.

I saw that and I am HIGHLY impressed. The display on that thing is VERY nice as well but its not as cheap as the 2LE. $600 for the PMD 661 at b&h. So based on everyone's input, why not spend the extra couple hundred and get the R44 for four channels and use two for SBD access? Battery life may be a factor for some, two extra channels may be useless to some, size/weight, you know--we all have our own reasons.

It would be easy to talk to from the PMD 661 to the R44 but from the R44 to a sound devices (two or four channel), I don't think so...just too much money for me.

One thing worth mentioning from my very cursory review of the 661 is the lack to adjust gain of each channel separately. This isn't a fall back since recorders like the 09HR don't allow that but I think a separate trim knob could have been added for each channel. Perhaps you can adjust it in the menu system but I don't know.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 06:26:35 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 08:21:19 PM »
but what annoys me is that fact you must format the card in order to change the resolution or else it just records at the same resolution until you format. I suppose you could have a couple different cards to solve that issue.

What is it like on the 661?

On the PMD-661, you can set-up and change three "presets" for input, recording quality, etc, etc...  You can turn the deck on and off as many times you like, and it'll keep the same settings (so that it's ready to go as soon as you turn the deck on).  But you can change which preset you use at any time, without having to re-format the card.

One thing worth mentioning from my very cursory review of the 661 is the lack to adjust gain of each channel separately. This isn't a fall back since recorders like the 09HR don't allow that but I think a separate trim knob could have been added for each channel. Perhaps you can adjust it in the menu system but I don't know.

this isn't true.  The gain knob isn't really a single knob.  There's an inner and outer portion of the gain knob, that turn together.  So if you want to keep the gain the same on both channels, it's easy to turn the inner and outer portions of the knob together.  But if you only want to change the gain on one channel, it's also easy to hold either the inner or outer portion still while you rotate the knob for the other channel.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »

On the PMD-661, you can set-up and change three "presets" for input, recording quality, etc, etc...  You can turn the deck on and off as many times you like, and it'll keep the same settings (so that it's ready to go as soon as you turn the deck on).  But you can change which preset you use at any time, without having to re-format the card.

this isn't true.  The gain knob isn't really a single knob.  There's an inner and outer portion of the gain knob, that turn together.  So if you want to keep the gain the same on both channels, it's easy to turn the inner and outer portions of the knob together.  But if you only want to change the gain on one channel, it's also easy to hold either the inner or outer portion still while you rotate the knob for the other channel.

1. very nice.
2. I stand corrected and that is a smart layout on a small unit!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com