Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack acting up again  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
Microtrack acting up again
« on: July 14, 2010, 02:09:08 AM »
I recorded a show last week.  I always run my busman modded UA-5 out to both the MT2496 and to a JB3 for backup (for those who are not familiar, it's got spdif coax and optical which are active at the same time after a digimod)

I know from past experience that you must make sure the spdif is connected and running and the battery is turned on before turning on the MT to record.

During the first set I used a new set of mics (Audix M1280's I had just got).  The levels were peaking like crazy on the MT but they were fine on the JB3.   When I went to listen to it, it got crazy static any time the levels peaked.  Sometimes it was just a blip and sometimes it went on for 10 seconds.  During this time I would notice that the time counter on the MT would freeze for a few seconds, but then it would display the correct time - i.e. if it was at 1:30, it would freeze and display 1:30, but all of the sudden after 8 seconds it would show 1:38.  I went ahead and did a full shut down/restart after the first band's set.  It worked fine for the 2nd band's set.

Has this happened to anyone before?  Any idea of the cause?  I used my normal mics for the 2nd set.  The new ones have inadequate wind screens for taping an outdoor show (which this was) - small mics small stock wind screens, so there was more wind noise than I would have liked.  I use the stock wind screens for my KM184's too but they mostly kept the wind at bay.  I was thinking maybe it got windy and something overloaded the MT, but then why didn't it affect the JB3 since they're both getting the same digital signal?  I checked and the coax cable was plugged in solid on both ends.

I'm hoping to be rid of the MT in a few months but until then I just want it to work, because transferring files from the JB3 is annoying.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Microtrack acting up again
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:27:03 AM »
You're right -- if it was wind, the JB3 would have the same issue.

Have you been able to duplicate the issue in testing?

My first guess would be media card.  After testing to duplicate the issue (without any changes), try <1> wiping the card clean, i.e. low level format, and/or <2> using a known-good card.

Second guess would be bad cable / connector, but this is more likely to cause dropouts rather than static (though I think a shorted cable could cause static).  Try wiggling the cables and connectors gently to see if it has an impact while testing.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Microtrack acting up again
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52:38 AM »
Yeh I'll try to do some tests to see if I can replicate it.  I did wiggle the cable while it was happening to make sure it was secure.  As for the card, I've got a Sandisk Ultra II 4gb.  I have yet to have any problems that have been card related with this one, but you never know.  I format it completely from the MT each time I use it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com