Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The 620's internal pad settings which reduce the sensitivity of the inputs?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline robertmode

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hello,

There are two internal pad settings (also located within the preset set-ups) which reduce the sensitivity of the inputs, for recording loud sounds.
May I obtain your settings for reduce the sensitivity of the inputs, for recording loud sounds?  0db, -12 db or -24db?
Yours sincerely.
Robert

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
I use -12 with the hlsc's(4.7k mod) going mic in with some very nice results, i use a pre and line in for quiet stuff

Offline robertmode

• Taperssection Regular
Dear Darktrain

Thanks very much for your help!!!
Will do the same with cmc4 + spsp6.

But I use line each time... Will i obtain something nice for loud recordings?

Merci beaucoup.
Robert
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 02:01:07 PM by robertmode »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
If you are using line-in, the -12 and -24 dB settings don't do anything.

For mic-in, it depends to some extent on the sensitivity of your mics.  When I use my CA-11s, I can usually set it at -12 dB.  With the much more sensitive DPA 4060s, I have to use the -24 dB setting...

Offline robertmode

• Taperssection Regular
Hi,

"If you are using line-in, the -12 and -24 dB settings don't do anything."
I'am not ok with you, please read  here : http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200712_marantz_620/

And, i'm just back from a concert in Lille in France, I used spsb6 @ 69 hz + at 943 (cmc8), 48 khz, the -12 db, using line-in and for me it's now excellent. Now I 'am ready...  ;D

Yours sincerely
Robert

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:19:34 PM by robertmode »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
Well, I am glad your recording turned out well, but I can assure you that it had nothing to do with how you set the mic attenuation...

The manual seems to indicate that this setting only affects the mic-in: 

"The microphone attenuation switch permits the direct use of microphones that differ in sensitivity.
  • 0dB    : No microphone attenuation.
  • -12dB : Input from a microphone(s) connected to the MIC jack is cut by 12dB.
  • -24dB : Input from a microphone(s) connected to the MIC jack is cut by 24dB."

That's page 32 of the .pdf on the Marantz site.  Nowhere does it say that this also applies to line-in.

I realize that errors can be found in these manuals sometimes, so I also did a little experiment.  I created a 1 kHz test tone in Audacity, and ran it into the line-in on the recorder.  I did this at the 0 dB and -24 dB settings, figuring that this would best show any differences.  No other changes to the settings were made.  Then I took about three seconds from each recording, and pasted them into a single file (with a brief chunk of silence in between).  As you can see from the attached image, there was no difference between the two; both were at exactly -6.4 dB.  I also tried it with the -12 dB setting and got the same results...

Offline fp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • choco dependant
Hi,

"If you are using line-in, the -12 and -24 dB settings don't do anything."
I'am not ok with you, please read  here : http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200712_marantz_620/
And, i'm just back from a concert in Lille in France, I used spsb6 @ 69 hz + at 943 (cmc8), 48 khz, the -12 db, using line-in and for me it's now excellent. Now I 'am ready...  ;D

Yours sincerely
Robert

The show was "excellent" !!
Hope i can be able to listen to your recording soon !
see you (!) soon ...
fp
AT831 > MARANTZ PMD660 (busman mod)

Offline robertmode

• Taperssection Regular
Dear aaronji

Firstly, thanks for your help.
For sure, that's page 32 of the .pdf on the Marantz site is very clear.

And here are some general guidelines from the sound professionals spsb 6's manual:
"For louder, bassier situations, try higher settings; for smaller, quieter situations, use lower settings. If the venue has bad acoustics, use higher settings; for venues with better acoustics, use lower settings. If you are using cardioids, use lower settings; for omnidirectional mics, use higher settings (cardioids reduce bass somewhat when compared to omni’s as a function of their more directional pickup pattern)."

"If you are going to be recording loud sounds (rock concerts, full orchestras, close miked instruments, etc.), it is suggested that you use the “line in” jack of your recorder. This will produce excellent results with these types of sources.  Rule of thumb is to always try the line input first. If you can get levels strong enough to use the line input-use it, as you will generally get cleaner recordings using the line input."

I will setting the switches to higher numbers to remove more bass from the recording.
I will use "Line in"

Yours sincerely
Robert

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star

Rule of thumb is to always try the line input first. If you can get levels strong enough to use the line input-use it, as you will generally get cleaner recordings using the line input."

Perfect. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
And here are some general guidelines from the sound professionals spsb 6's manual:
"For louder, bassier situations, try higher settings; for smaller, quieter situations, use lower settings. If the venue has bad acoustics, use higher settings; for venues with better acoustics, use lower settings. If you are using cardioids, use lower settings; for omnidirectional mics, use higher settings (cardioids reduce bass somewhat when compared to omni’s as a function of their more directional pickup pattern)."

You may want to test your battery box's rolloff to see where it kicks in, as the corner frequency can be affected by the input's impedance.  There have been a couple of threads about this; I couldn't find the one I was looking for, but this explanation from mshilarious explains the potential issue well (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105993.msg1415476.html#msg1415476).  You might want to ask Chris from Sound Pros if he has any details on this...Also, the recorder has a built-in rolloff feature (this is the "low cut" option on the preset menu), but I can't recall seeing any details about the corner frequency or the steepness of the rolloff.

Generally, a lot of people here suggest doing any bass rolloff on the computer in post. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com