Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann KM184 Caps?  (Read 9760 times)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Neumann KM184 Caps?
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:46:31 PM »
So i notice the capsule is removable on my KM184s.  Can you get other polar pattern caps to go on the body or is there something that prevents you from switching caps?

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: Neumann KM184 Caps?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:16:37 PM »
I used to own km184s but wasn't aware that they had removeable caps.  They are not modular mics though, so you can't switch caps like the 140s, at least AFAIK.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:18:21 PM »
There are a few threads on this and the bottom line is the caps aren't supposed to be removed and doing so risks ruining the diaphragm and voiding your warranty
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »
In Neumann's KM 180-series microphones, the amplifiers are all absolutely identical in terms of their circuitry and capsules are removeable (mainly for repair purposes), but the near-hemispherical plastic part behind the capsule is shaped differently for the three different models. So although you might be able to obtain capsule heads for the KM 183 and KM 185 as replacement parts if you made enough phone calls, the KM 185 capsule head wouldn't be in its proper acoustical setting if you put it onto your KM 184 body, and wouldn't have the specified high-frequency response.

The KM 183 capsule, on the other hand, has a sealed backplate and doesn't care what is or isn't behind it. So it's like having the blood type that's the universal donor (O-negative?)--that capsule can go on any of the bodies and work correctly. But the reverse isn't true, because the series simply wasn't designed for interchanging the capsules. For that you need the KM 100 series, which has seven interchangeable capsule types if I recall correctly.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »
In Neumann's KM 180-series microphones, the amplifiers are all absolutely identical in terms of their circuitry and capsules are removeable (mainly for repair purposes), but the near-hemispherical plastic part behind the capsule is shaped differently for the three different models. So although you might be able to obtain capsule heads for the KM 183 and KM 185 as replacement parts if you made enough phone calls, the KM 185 capsule head wouldn't be in its proper acoustical setting if you put it onto your KM 184 body, and wouldn't have the specified high-frequency response.

The KM 183 capsule, on the other hand, has a sealed backplate and doesn't care what is or isn't behind it. So it's like having the blood type that's the universal donor (O-negative?)--that capsule can go on any of the bodies and work correctly. But the reverse isn't true, because the series simply wasn't designed for interchanging the capsules. For that you need the KM 100 series, which has seven interchangeable capsule types if I recall correctly.

--best regards

Awesome reply.  Makes total sense.  Obviously not the answer I was hoping for but I appreciate the detailed and informative response

Thanks !!!

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
Now if anyone could just quantify the acoustic differences between the 140s and the 184s....

--best regards

Awesome reply.  Makes total sense.  Obviously not the answer I was hoping for but I appreciate the detailed and informative response

Thanks !!!
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:25:47 PM »
> Now if anyone could just quantify the acoustic differences between the 140s and the 184s....

There's essentially zero difference acoustically. There is a small difference electrically (the KM 184 draws somewhat more current from a phantom power supply and has a very slightly lower noise floor).

By the way, John Willett spilled some beans on Neumann's on-line forum to the effect that there will soon be an analog body for the capsules Neumann sells for its KM D digital microphones. Since those are the same capsules as in the KM 100 series, I wonder what the plan is for the modular series, but something is surely afoot.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline sparkey

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »
> Now if anyone could just quantify the acoustic differences between the 140s and the 184s....

There's essentially zero difference acoustically.

After running both of these mics, my ears tell me differently.....

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 11:17:01 AM »

I'd be curious if people can ABX them in a shootout environment or if there is some sort of inherrant confirmation bias.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 11:30:28 AM »

I have noticed a difference in sound between recordings made with KM140s running without actives, versus AK40>LC3>KM100, but I don't know if I am the only one that hears it.

I have always wondered if there is a sonic change introduced with actives, or if it's just a consequence of the length of unbalanced wire running between the caps and bodies.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 11:39:14 AM »

I'd be curious if people can ABX them in a shootout environment or if there is some sort of inherrant confirmation bias.

If someone wants to send me their 184's for a blind mic taste taste test of sorts ... >:D
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »

If someone wants to send me their 184's for a blind mic taste taste test of sorts ... >:D

What 4 channels do you have that are identical? I thought your R-4 had a 2+2 arrangement as far as identical channels and not 4 channels of the same mod.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 04:48:27 PM »

What 4 channels do you have that are identical? I thought your R-4 had a 2+2 arrangement as far as identical channels and not 4 channels of the same mod.

True - I was thinking of a mono configuration with one of each mic plugged into a pair of channels. Just talking out of my a$$ really :P
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 11:18:05 AM »

There is no "acoustic" difference at all - any differences are in the electronics.  The KM 100 series is an older design.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 11:29:36 AM »

There is no "acoustic" difference at all - any differences are in the electronics.  The KM 100 series is an older design.

Ok, so if the caps are the same but electrics are different, would that effect the sound *any* (and if so, then how much which goes back to my question if people could tell them apart).

Offline sparkey

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »

I tended to run my 140s with the actives, so that could be what I'm hearing.    But there was definitely a difference.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com