Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need a cheap harddisk recorder for playback of 8 tracks.  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Need a cheap harddisk recorder for playback of 8 tracks.
« on: November 06, 2009, 12:25:16 PM »
I am working with this new band www.fairchildrocks.com and I need a 8 track playback of tracks for the live show they do I dont really want tape. I would prefer hard disk what do you guys recommend that I can find cheap in the used market that will be reliable? or should I just get a Tascam d88 and call it a day? I dont need to record only playback of 8 tracks in mono. 44.1 16Bit is ok.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Kevin T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Need a cheap harddisk recorder for playback of 8 tracks.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:00:55 PM »
Zoom R16? $400

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 01:06:07 PM »
Zoom R16? $400

Cheap as in $200 - $300 USED  dont really want to spend alot of money and I dont really want to use Zoom not a huge fan of the designs they come up with. But I have never used it so I will check it out.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 01:40:14 PM »
This is playback (not recording) during the live show, right?  If so, why do you need more than two tracks?

Just curious.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:49:21 PM »
This is playback (not recording) during the live show, right?  If so, why do you need more than two tracks?

Just curious.

Richard

I want to be able to mix the tracks. What I am mixing changes from time to time and from room to room. Sometimes I might want more backup vocals sometimes less or guitar ect. With 8 tracks I can have 1 for click and 7 for backing tracks.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »

Just curious.

Richard

I want to be able to mix the tracks. What I am mixing changes from time to time and from room to room. Sometimes I might want more backup vocals sometimes less or guitar ect. With 8 tracks I can have 1 for click and 7 for backing tracks.

Right.  Got it.

Good luck with the gig...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »
How about an Edirol FA-101?  I know it's not a recorder, but it does give you 8 line level in/outs and 2 mic level inputs with a firewire interface to a computer.  You can record 10 channels simultaneously.  Edirol made this model specifically for the type of application you are describing.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 06:50:41 PM »
Better yet, a Roland M-10DX or a Roland M-16DX.  They are digital mixers that can be configured to act as a multichannel input to your computer or other DAW via USB2.  That way, the interface feels like a mixer, something that is familiar to you as a soundman.  After recording the channels, you can send them back to the mixer and try mixing them different ways.  At least that's the way it looks to me from what I'm reading elsewhere.  (I don't have one of these and have never used one.)  Here's a review that seems to be unbiased in that it tells good and bad points:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RJ89PS3GUTGO1
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »
Did you say 8-track?

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:24:08 AM »
I am working with this new band www.fairchildrocks.com and I need a 8 track playback of tracks for the live show they do I dont really want tape. I would prefer hard disk what do you guys recommend that I can find cheap in the used market that will be reliable? or should I just get a Tascam d88 and call it a day? I dont need to record only playback of 8 tracks in mono. 44.1 16Bit is ok.

Chris

Do you have a laptop? I assume you only need a stereo mix at the end of the day? Why not use a DAW...

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

You can use the free 4 Meg demo.

or simpler, Audacity...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

digifish

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:27:24 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com