Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Budget Rig-Recording straight to computer?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline kdunne916

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Budget Rig-Recording straight to computer?
« on: November 09, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »
Let me start by saying that I have no experience in taping live shows.  I have recorded some audio in a small home studio and have always been interested in taping live concerts but have never had the money for an expensive rig.  Is there any reason a setup could not be used where the computer is the source of power and reording for the setup?  Im thinking about getting a pair of fostex MC10st's and running them through an ART usb dual pre, which would be powered and connected via USB bus to a laptop running audacity or garage band to record and tweak the input.  Any thoughts?
"Someday you'll C-2"

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Budget Rig-Recording straight to computer?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:01:23 PM »
I don't know how quiet that cheap preamp is going to be. Someone who knows about them might chime in.

I would discourage recording with a lap top unless it is the only way you can afford to put together a system. Lots of gear to carry around, not convenient to use, not possible to stealth with, etc.

If you can afford to, I would get an good inexpensive recorder like an iRiver H120 (only available used-sometimes available on this board for $100 or so), a Church Audio ST-9100 preamp and a Church Audio mic like the CA-11's or 14's (cost of a Church package around $300 shipped, but if patient you can find them cheaper in the yard sale here).

The above system will sound great, probably much better than a computer system with a cheap pre, and be much more portable and convenient to use. 
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »
I don't know how quiet that cheap preamp is going to be. Someone who knows about them might chime in.

I would discourage recording with a lap top unless it is the only way you can afford to put together a system. Lots of gear to carry around, not convenient to use, not possible to stealth with, etc.

If you can afford to, I would get an good inexpensive recorder like an iRiver H120 (only available used-sometimes available on this board for $100 or so), a Church Audio ST-9100 preamp and a Church Audio mic like the CA-11's or 14's (cost of a Church package around $300 shipped, but if patient you can find them cheaper in the yard sale here).

The above system will sound great, probably much better than a computer system with a cheap pre, and be much more portable and convenient to use.
I agree with this, laptops are trouble in the field.

I would argue for a better (analog) input on the recorder, though.  Tascam DR07 seems like a good deal right now.  If you can't afford that, even a minidisc will sound better than the iRiver.  The analog input has less noise and will sound better.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »
I would argue for a better (analog) input on the recorder, though.  Tascam DR07 seems like a good deal right now.  If you can't afford that, even a minidisc will sound better than the iRiver.  The analog input has less noise and will sound better.

I would have suggested the DR-07 as well , but I thought they cost significantly more. Richard knows more than me, but I've never used my iriver without getting most of my gain from an ST-9100 preamp, and that way noise has never been an issue for me. Still if you can get a DR-07 for a price that is not a lot higher, that would be the way to go.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 07:46:15 PM »

I would have suggested the DR-07 as well , but I thought they cost significantly more. Richard knows more than me, but I've never used my iriver without getting most of my gain from an ST-9100 preamp, and that way noise has never been an issue for me. Still if you can get a DR-07 for a price that is not a lot higher, that would be the way to go.
Yeah, the simplest setup would be mic-in directly into the DR07.  No preamp.  Maybe need a battery box, maybe not.

I think the DR07 is something like $150 now if you look around.  Soundprofessionals.com had a blowout at $100, but now it is back up again.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:49:20 AM »
Yeah, the simplest setup would be mic-in directly into the DR07.  No preamp.  Maybe need a battery box, maybe not.

With a standard Church Audio mic, he would need a battery box. However Chris will make them on request with a 2.2 mod instead of the 4.7 that will run fine mic in. Don't know about a low sensitivity modded AT 853.

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 07:44:41 PM »
personally, i prefer recording to laptop, not that i wouldn't prefer even more a sd744 or something else along that line. mics and pre are not the place to skimp tho! especially mics! almost anything can be used as a bit bucket. 
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com